A65 credentials. . .

T

the record spot

I think it might have done - the original A65 was met with a reception that could be called lukewarm at best...!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
I know the A65 Plus retained 4 star status up and until it was replaced by the A70, around three years.

Could Clare, Andrew or anyone else from WHFI throw some light on the question?

I was once speaking with an Arcam bod about the difference between the A65/A75 and the plus versions.... he told me that they released them and that they got a luke warm reception from WHF (3 or 4 stars, cannot remember) and that Arcam took them back looked at the comments and produced the plus versions which then got 5 stars.....

Obviously I think that Andrew and/or Claire will be able to tell you definitively but that is what Arcam bod told me......

T

the record spot

bloatedgut:plastic penguin:
I know the A65 Plus retained 4 star status up and until it was replaced by the A70, around three years.

I was once speaking with an Arcam bod about the difference between the A65/A75 and the plus versions.... he told me that they released them and that they got a luke warm reception from WHF (3 or 4 stars, cannot remember) and that Arcam took them back looked at the comments and produced the plus versions which then got 5 stars.....

Obviously I think that Andrew and/or Claire will be able to tell you definitively but that is what Arcam bod told me......

I think that's pretty much my recall too - two 3 star reviews, a quick drawing board revisit and *boom, tish* a better review. They've done that with some of their other kit recently too IIRR.

the record spot:bloatedgut:plastic penguin:

I think that's pretty much my recall too - two 3 star reviews, a quick drawing board revisit and *boom, tish* a better review. They've done that with some of their other kit recently too IIRR.

It has also been done by Nad. When they first released the 352, WHFI said it lacked a taut, punchy bottom end. A few months later they released the 352CT which became an award winner.

A

Anonymous

There are other factors, too. While accepting What HiFi is an influential magazine, can't help thinking that it's how the HiFi mags across the board respond to a product that makes manufacturers think about revisions, that and sales, naturally. Not to mention the reaction of other important markets such as the US, mainland Europe etc.

Don't forget that marketing also rules product development. If a product is out there too long, be it good or indifferent, sales/marketing start baying for a new model so they have something new to sell. This also means products are rushed to the market sometimes too early, and that the appearance of a mark II version can mean no more than it's the finished product that manufacturing wanted to release in the first place.

Happens in the computer industry all the time
emotion-5.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
A65+ did get 5 stars on it's release and review circa '02. A75+ only got 4 stars though. A65+ dropped a star a couple of years back.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Spot on, Big Chris. Arcam A65 Plus was awarded 5 stars in our February 2002 issue (I happen to have a copy to hand), and subsequently dropped to 4 stars in 2003.

Andy Clough:Spot on, Big Chris. Arcam A65 Plus was awarded 5 stars in our February 2002 issue (I happen to have a copy to hand), and subsequently dropped to 4 stars in 2003.

Andy - did it ever go head-to-head in a Group test, or was it omitted as time went on?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts