A/V cabinet

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm seeking advice on a new a/v cabinet. I've been looking for a while, and haven't found one that fits my needs.

Ideally, I'm looking for something low (as the telly is going in a bay window, and I don't want to block the light with a high-up screen), which has a glass front (to avoid slices of toast in my BD player), and a central open-fronted top shelf for the speaker (most units are split with shelves left/right - whereas I want the top opening to be centralised and big enough for my centre). LCD to sit on top of it too (top of the unit, not the speaker).

It needs to fit a BD player, a DVD recorder, a Humax / Sat box, and AV amp and a centre speaker. With telly on top.

And I'd like something in wood.

Tall order!

Anyone have ideas?

If I can't find something to suit, I'll have to make my own...
emotion-7.gif

scene

How low is low?

The Plasma Centre has lots of a/v stands - I've been looking for a closed front (kiddies as well!) wooden stand, but I want a tall one to go under my wall-mounted screen to keep sticky fingers of my Kuro...

The Salamander AV brand is expensive but has some quite flexible options if you look at their modular "Synergy" range - that's in wood... Their Madrid range has an open bit for the centre speaker and their Chameleon range (236 style - all will be apparent) has a centre speaker segment with removable grille (I've been looking at the taller 336 style). The 236 is 21.5" high....

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks - Will do a detailed look at the Plasma Centre tonight - so much choice, it's difficult to search!

Nothing floats my boat at Salamander (and quite pricey!) - may as well employ my little brother (a master cabinet maker, but overseas so international shipping would be an issue, and he's probably waaaay too expensive for those of us who don't own large amounts of sand with oil underneath!).

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried Optimum, not sure about doors at the front but deffo for flexibility of sizes between shelves, and width of unit, not wooden shelves though if I understand you correctly.

I have my amp, dvd and Sky box on the lower shelf with the centre speaker on the upper and tv on top, on a AV 300 or 350 I think,works well and not too silly money (if you know what I mean), take a look at their web site, nice stuff.

scene

Big Aura: Nothing floats my boat at Salamander (and quite pricey!) - may as well employ my little brother (a master cabinet maker, but overseas so international shipping would be an issue, and he's probably waaaay too expensive for those of us who don't own large amounts of sand with oil underneath!).

I know what you mean about the Salamander stuff! I'm struggling, as I want a 85-90cm high cab with a place for the centre, made of wood, with doors and they are like unicorn droppings... Seeing the price of the Salamanders I've started looking at custom. Considering Kuban's sister company Kube Design or Artisan Design (aka SPK joinery)

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
WHF had a wooden AV stand as an award winner late last year, made of Oak, maybe that nice Mr Everard will point you in the the right direction (so to speak)

scene

JoelSim:
HiFiracks.co.uk

They make to your specifications out of a variety of wood finishes. Speak to Bradley.

None of the racks seem to have doors / sides, do they do cabs with these, or just open racks?

(Apologies to Big Aura for the slight thread hijack here... but its not really off topic)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm not prissy about thread ownership! Threads should be free to find their own path in life. Man. Etc.

In any case, personally not willing (or possibly able) to buy anything too expensive. The shackles are well and truely on when it comes to spending (especially when there's two sofas, dining table, kitchen table, side-board, new dishwasher, three new beds, several new carpets, three wardrobes, etc, etc, oh, and did I mention enough stamp duty to bankrupt Luxembourg?!)

A

Anonymous

Hi

I just bought this http://www.standanddeliver.com/acatalog/BDI_Cielot_9324.html fantastic rack. It might be too tall for your purposes but BDI do some other very good looking racks. The build quality is excellent and was easy to put together.

Cheers

Jay

TRENDING THREADS