A Shibata bargain

Having a bit of a browse this morning I came across a Shibata stylus that will fit my Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge, it was reduced in price due to damaged packaging, but for just £105 I thought what the hell. I’ll give it a go. So I’ve ordered it. Looking forward to trying it out. 😀
What's the Virtuoso cart like, bigfish? You're the only person I know who has one.

Reactions: bigfish786
What's the Virtuoso cart like, bigfish? You're the only person I know who has one.
my cartridge didn’t really stay as a genuine Virtuoso for very long as I bent the cantilever on the original after probably 20 hours, so I’ve used an at95e and an at95ex stylus in place of that Since then. It still sounds good but I’m anticipating a decent improvement with a shibata stylus in there.
personally I prefer the two Nagaoka carts I have to the Clearaudio, but from what I’ve read about the shibata it may change my mind.

my cartridge didn’t really stay as a genuine Virtuoso for very long as I bent the cantilever on the original after probably 20 hours, so I’ve used an at95e and an at95ex stylus in place of that Since then. It still sounds good but I’m anticipating a decent improvement with a shibata stylus in there.
personally I prefer the two Nagaoka carts I have to the Clearaudio, but from what I’ve read about the shibata it may change my mind.
What Nags do you have?

I'm only trying to canvass opinion as my Concept won't be too long before it dies.

So far, on a very short shortlist:

Goldring 1042
Ortofon Bronze

record_spot

What Nags do you have?

I'm only trying to canvass opinion as my Concept won't be too long before it dies.

So far, on a very short shortlist:

Goldring 1042
Ortofon Bronze

If you favour a lovely clarity with good detail and not bright, I'd chuck in a Benz Micro Gold. Circa £320. Have a chat with Ian Harrison hifi near Derby. Bought a couple of cartridges from him over the years and he's good. Old school, no website, but highly recommended.

If you favour a lovely clarity with good detail and not bright, I'd chuck in a Benz Micro Gold. Circa £320. Have a chat with Ian Harrison hifi near Derby. Bought a couple of cartridges from him over the years and he's good. Old school, no website, but highly recommended.
Yes, I can do with a trusty voice who's a cartridge expert.

The first time I dealt with Infidelity Hi-fi I built a good rapport with Derek, he was a turntable & cartridge guru. What he didn't about these wasn't worth knowing.

In circa 2005 I took my Xpression 1 in for a replacement Ortofon cart. He was more than happy to try different carts in that one couple of hour booking. As a consequence I purchased Clearaudio Classic Wood Aurum.

Sadly in around 2018 he passed away. The likes of John Duncan, who lived just down the road from Infidelity at the time, pretty sure they had met at some point over the years.

Reactions: record_spot
I was lucky enough to finish work a little early today, so I’ve put my first record on to test out the new stylus, and it’s immediately obvious that this Shibata is a cut above. Detail, clarity, tight bass, spacious . everything you would want.
I’ll continue listening and see if there is any difference in 20 or so hours.
But, on first listen it is definitely worth the outlay.
😊

Personally speaking, possibly because I'm an old skin flint, but anything over £400 is a nonsense, especially as styluses are so fragile. Even if I had a table like a Gyrodec, I'd be hard pressed to go over that £400 threshold.
i’ve spent the afternoon/evening listening to the new Shibata stylus and I’m happy to report it’s been a very worthwhile upgrade. Put this on your list of potential cartridges whether it’s just a stylus fitted onto your Clearaudio cart, or the full cart+stylus from Audio Technica. It is definitely worth investigating. And it won’t blow the budget.

Reactions: jamesrfisher

record_spot

Yes, I can do with a trusty voice who's a cartridge expert.

The first time I dealt with Infidelity Hi-fi I built a good rapport with Derek, he was a turntable & cartridge guru. What he didn't about these wasn't worth knowing.

In circa 2005 I took my Xpression 1 in for a replacement Ortofon cart. He was more than happy to try different carts in that one couple of hour booking. As a consequence I purchased Clearaudio Classic Wood Aurum.

Sadly in around 2018 he passed away. The likes of John Duncan, who lived just down the road from Infidelity at the time, pretty sure they had met at some point over the years.

I'd give him a shout. I got the Benz for £285 - that's from an official UK distributor to him and then on to you. It wasn't in an Benz box, came in a white box, or as he called it, a white box special, so I guess the kind of thing they send off to shops for demo purposes. He's not bricks and mortar, so I guess he's a little scope to work with in prices (and I guess I could've had the £320 Benz if I'd really wanted one).

He's a really good guy - remembered me from 2007 when I'd bought an Audio Technica AT-440MLa off him and we chatted on email on occasion after I'd bought. He'd still be one of my go-to's if I was buying again.

Reactions: plastic penguin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts