A real dac sounds smooth?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I found my system rega brio r and dali zensor 7 plays really harsh, my dac is a computer soundcard (x-fi), the sound itself is detailed and dynamic but the sss is killing the music so would a hrt streamer 2012 smooth things out?

A

Anonymous

The HRT and MF VDAC Mk II will both work well.

You could also consider the Arcam rDAC OR rPAC DACs also...

Zax89swe said:
I found my system rega brio r and dali zensor 7 plays really harsh, my dac is a computer soundcard (x-fi), the sound itself is detailed and dynamic but the sss is killing the music so would a hrt streamer 2012 smooth things out?

Hi Zax89swe

Rega's DAC with its smooth, rich and full bodied presentation is also worth consideration 8) and the Rega DAC also has excellent synergy with the Brio-R amp :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I have not heard the hrt streamer, i have heard a musical fidelity v-dac2 £199, it has a lovlely warm and smooth sound, i think it would do a good job in your system.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
You don't say what your source files are, which variant of X-Fi you have or how it's connected?

But all that aside, as a first step, give JRiver's free trial of MC17 a try in order to minimize the operating system's interference with the source files.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
the card is a modded x-fi music and source is from spotify 168 /kbit
Seems a decent enough card but a USB DAC should do better, but I think you've answered your own question with the low bit-rate source. Try upgrading to Spotify Premium (think they do a seven day trial) together with MC17 & see how that sounds. I really can't see much point in spending good money on a DAC with a 160k source.

Edit - Not being an MC17 user I'm not sure how well it can improve the potential re-sampling & DSP that may be going on withing the card. I think it's primarily aimed at USB output so it may be worth investing in a cheap Behringer USB DAC for starters.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Listen to my previous bx2 I sold to a friend with hes yamaha v667 and could not belive my ears, No harsh at all with an immersive soundstage. Why Is my rega brio-r defeated so badly? would a hrt streamer II make such an enormous difference over the pc soundcard?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
Listen to my previous bx2 I sold to a friend with hes yamaha v667 and could not belive my ears, No harsh at all with an immersive soundstage. Why Is my rega brio-r defeated so badly? would a hrt streamer II make such an enormous difference over the pc soundcard?

There may be a difference, but don't expect too much. I'd try a cheap USB DAC like the Behringer first, as previously mentioned.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:

?

What do you mean by sss?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I dont usualy get into these debates. However, I have an HRT DAC, 'Spotify Unlimited' as a source . . . superb IMHO, no 'sss'ing', just a loverly smooth sound that I listen to a lot late at night.

CJSF

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:

That's because the Rega IS a bright sounding amplifier. I would pair it with speakers that are much more reserved than yours. HRT products tend to sound smooth with expansive soundstage and it might help, but do try to get an audition if you can. Don't get sucked into hype. Never worked for me anyways.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Zax89swe said:

Hi Zax89swe

Rega's DAC with its smooth, rich and full bodied presentation is also worth consideration 8) and the Rega DAC also has excellent synergy with the Brio-R amp :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

+1

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Overdose said:
Zax89swe said:

?

What do you mean by sss?

Sibilance, probably.

Hmm, could be, or it might be an electronic hiss, which would have different causes and solutions, although an external DAC might well cure any internal electrical/electronic noise problems, certainly using an optical feed to an external DAC would.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
:grin:
MUSICRAFT said:
Zax89swe said:

Hi Zax89swe

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

+++++++++++++++ 1

I'm being biased...??????? >)

TRENDING THREADS