Question Suggestions for amplification for a small(ish) apartment

fiske

Sep 28, 2021
Visit site
e. Let's rephrase the question, I've pulled the trigger partially.

So I'm moving apartments and I'm looking to upgrade my setup at the same time. The apartment is fairly small and one system will be doing my whole audio: vinyl, streamer, TV. Again due to size of the apartment I'm looking at a 2 speaker setup with bookshelf speakers. The Buchardt S400 MK2 were on small pre-order sale so I pulled the trigger on these.

The question is what to pair it with? As mentioned I play music via my Rega P1, streamer (currently Yamaha WXC 50) or TV. The remaining budget for amplification is around 1000euros.

Some options:

Rega Brio at 799euros - seems to hit all the marks with a decent phono preamp which pairs specially well with a Rega player (been happy with P1 so if/when I upgrade I will probably look at Rega again). Yamaha can take care of streaming + DAC (which albeit is not amazing). Small concern is that the speakers do ask for power and Brio delivers 73W of it at 4ohm. If that's enough is the question, although apparently the MK2 is easier to drive according to some first reviewers. So downside is power + DAC.

Yamaha R-N803D at 895euros - does everything with plenty of power. Is amplification quality and phono quality worse than with Brio? Could sell WXC-50 afterwards making it a bit cheaper.

Yamaha A-S701 at 699euros - as above but WXC-50 would stay for streaming

Cambridge Audio CXA61 at 999euros - from what I understand the highest quality amplification but with no phono or streaming. WXC-50 would stay for streaming and I would have to dig out a dusty Cambridge Audio 640p phono preamp I have hidden somewhere for now and maybe look at getting a new preamp at some point?

NAD C368 at 999euros - has phono preamp, no streaming but with an upgrade path with BluOS and HDMI modules.

Any other suggestions? Obviously getting away with less money is nice but prepared to pay up to 1000euros for now.

Also I'm in Finland and the used market is very small. Occasionally can find something but it would be a real waiting game if I tried to get something specific.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Yamaha R-N803D at 895euros - does everything with plenty of power. Is amplification quality and phono quality worse than with Brio? Could sell WXC-50 afterwards making it a bit cheaper.

Yamaha A-S701 at 699euros - as above but WXC-50 would stay for streaming

I would go for one of these two options… just my personal choice. 🙂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts