A new cartridge.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I’ve put the bronze stylus onto the blue body. First impressions is it sounds bloody good. I’m not sure if it’s my mind playing tricks on me because I want it to sound better, or maybe because I haven’t been able to play any Lps for over a week.

I’ve only played one album and that’s a folk album by King Creosote but the vocals sound more personal, almost as if I am in the room with him, it feels a lot more intimate, the separation of instruments sounds better to me, and the bass sounds deeper.

I’m not getting any harshness, as I say I’ve only listened to the 1 album, maybe if I play a different genre I might get some harshness but at the moment it sounds lovely and smooth. I’ve got the tracking force set at 1.6, they recommend 1.5, I’ve also got the tail of the tone arm tail slightly down.

All said and done I’m happy with the purchase and I’m looking forward to how it changes as it gets more usage. Inevitably I’m wondering what it would sound like with the correct cartridge lol, but that’s for another day.

Okay, I’ve put the bronze stylus onto the blue body. First impressions is it sounds bloody good. I’m not sure if it’s my mind playing tricks on me because I want it to sound better, or maybe because I haven’t been able to play any Lps for over a week.

I’ve only played one album and that’s a folk album by King Creosote but the vocals sound more personal, almost as if I am in the room with him, it feels a lot more intimate, the separation of instruments sounds better to me, and the bass sounds deeper.

I’m not getting any harshness, as I say I’ve only listened to the 1 album, maybe if I play a different genre I might get some harshness but at the moment it sounds lovely and smooth. I’ve got the tracking force set at 1.6, they recommend 1.5, I’ve also got the tail of the tone arm tail slightly down.

All said and done I’m happy with the purchase and I’m looking forward to how it changes as it gets more usage. Inevitably I’m wondering what it would sound like with the correct cartridge lol, but that’s for another day.
Good to hear, you might consider setting the tonearm completely horizontal that may easy any treble issues.

D

Deleted member 108165

Phew! Thank god you like it otherwise my name would have been mud :)

It should open up nicely with a few more hours on it. I never had the chance to do a comparison between the cart bodies, maybe I'll look out for a cheap Red/Blue body and Bronze stylus and give them a spin on the Pioneer, (removable headshell), I seriously doubt there'll be much in it.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Phew! Thank god you like it otherwise my name would have been mud :)
Interesting that when I was trawling the internet reading about the cartridge I came across a comment by someone who was looking to buy the 2m Black, he was advised by his dealer to just add the stylus to his 2m blue cartridge as the extra cost would not be worth the slight improvement.
It should open up nicely with a few more hours on it. I never had the chance to do a comparison between the cart bodies, maybe I'll look out for a cheap Red/Blue body and Bronze stylus and give them a spin on the Pioneer, (removable headshell), I seriously doubt there'll be much in it.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It’s interesting that when I was trawling the internet looking for reviews etc the 2m bronze I came across a comment from someone Looking to buy the 2m black. He was advised by his dealer to just add the stylus to the 2m blue cartridge that he had as the extra cost would not be worth the slight improvement in sound.

Also Al I thought by having the tail of the tone arm slightly down it would take away any top end harshness, have I got that wrong?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 108165

Do you get any treble/harshness problems with the arm horizontal?

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven’t tried it horizontal but I’m not getting any issues with it as it is. I lowered the tail of the tone arm when I had the blue and increased the tracking weight it helped with some harshness. It’s quite fiddly to get to the screws so I wasn’t planning on changing it.

D

Deleted member 108165

I haven’t tried it horizontal but I’m not getting any issues with it as it is. I lowered the tail of the tone arm when I had the blue and increased the tracking weight it helped with some harshness. It’s quite fiddly to get to the screws so I wasn’t planning on changing it.
Understood. Maybe the Bronze won't be as harsh as the Blue, but there's a time for fiddling and a time for just listening :)

Reactions: Gonepostal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts