A magnetic draw . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Moving the MM issue into its own thread.

'Alears' has asked 'how much will I set aside for a MM cartridge' . . . on the new P5? Well I am looking up to Rega Exact and Goldring 1042 . . . puts it in the £200-£250 bracket, if I must. Does the P5 and accompanying kit warrant this expenditure? Is this amount spent good use of resources on a MM? Is auditioning a cartridge reasonable, especially at this level?

I'm not keen on the remarks made of the 'Exact' erring towards bright/clinical? Preferring a warmer sound? but how does one know if one cannot addition? Would the 'Elise 2' be better?

I have no experience of MM, I always used MC and that knowledge is 20 years out of date

Any suggestions, pointers would be much appreciated . . . CJSF

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

I have an old Plannar 3, which when I purchased it, had an elys2 cartridge fitted. Personally I found the sound slightly muffled and held back with poor bass response. After some research and a few posts on here, I actually settled on the Goldring 1042 Cartridge (which I managed to get for £200 from SuperFi, I know the price has gone up now).

This has taken the sound of the Planar 3 to a completely new level......this is an excellent cartridge with a good all round sound across the frequency levels. Lows, highs and midrange are all discernable and it has never shown any sign of sibilance (unlike the Elys).

Personally I can't rate the 1042 high enough and would suggest it would be a good match with your new turntable.

Just my two penny's worth and hopefully of some help.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hi CJSF, I have an old Plannar 3, which when I purchased it, had an elys2 cartridge fitted. Personally I found the sound slightly muffled and held back with poor bass response. After some research and a few posts on here, I actually settled on the Goldring 1042 Cartridge (which I managed to get for £200 from SuperFi, I know the price has gone up now). This has taken the sound of the Planar 3 to a completely new level......this is an excellent cartridge with a good all round sound across the frequency levels. Lows, highs and midrange are all discernable and it has never shown any sign of sibilance (unlike the Elys). Personally I can't rate the 1042 high enough and would suggest it would be a good match with your new turntable. Just my two penny's worth and hopefully of some help.

Thank you Jason for your reply, the 1042 is on my shortlist along with Denon DL160 and the Dynavector DV10x5 high output MC . . . pricy but if it matches the mm phono input of the croft amp . . . its supposed to be the dogs swingers?

I have had a very good day talking to Rayleigh HiFi, who said they will dem the Dynavector for me through my own amp if I want to take it along, thats going the extra mile or what . . .

Good day all round really, the K20 cable has arrived as promised on 24 hour delivery, closely followed by the Croft Integrated Amplifier, thats good too, 7 days from order to delivery, considering they are hand built to order.

Picking up the TT next week, just need to get this cartridge issue sorted????

Smokin :dance: CJSF

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Mate, it's been a while since I had anything to do with records, but the Dynavectors, Benz Micro (my favourite, a bit more neutral than the others) or the Denon DL103 would be my picks. It is a new cart your after? For some reason, maybe the Oz background, I never quite understand your posts - decent education out in the sticks, but maybe not as sophisticated as you got in the old country.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Jason36 said:
Hi CJSF, I have an old Plannar 3, which when I purchased it, had an elys2 cartridge fitted. Personally I found the sound slightly muffled and held back with poor bass response. After some research and a few posts on here, I actually settled on the Goldring 1042 Cartridge (which I managed to get for £200 from SuperFi, I know the price has gone up now). This has taken the sound of the Planar 3 to a completely new level......this is an excellent cartridge with a good all round sound across the frequency levels. Lows, highs and midrange are all discernable and it has never shown any sign of sibilance (unlike the Elys). Personally I can't rate the 1042 high enough and would suggest it would be a good match with your new turntable. Just my two penny's worth and hopefully of some help.

Thank you Jason for your reply, the 1042 is on my shortlist along with Denon DL160 and the Dynavector DV10x5 high output MC . . . pricy but if it matches the mm phono input of the croft amp . . . its supposed to be the dogs swingers?

I have had a very good day talking to Rayleigh HiFi, who said they will dem the Dynavector for me through my own amp if I want to take it along, thats going the extra mile or what . . .

Good day all round really, the K20 cable has arrived as promised on 24 hour delivery, closely followed by the Croft Integrated Amplifier, thats good too, 7 days from order to delivery, considering they are hand built to order.

Picking up the TT next week, just need to get this cartridge issue sorted????

Smokin :dance: CJSF

The problem is now days, trying to find somewhere, if at all, where you can demo a good variety of TT cartridges.....which means most people unfortunately have to buy on recommendation. I suppose I was lucky really and I love the sound of my 1042 cartridge.

Are you Demoing at all?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts