Stimulating the little grey cells . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
altruistic.lemon said:
Can't agree with you there, PP. You don't lose detail at all, it is all there but not as forward as in a brighter system. The amount doesn't vary.

In terms of cartridge changes, he won't find the ideal solution. Somewhere down the line he needs to realise that's the way with hi-fi. he's admitted that people telling him it won't/can't be done is like a red rag to a bull. All he'll achieve is to drive himself bananas. Hi-fi isn't worth putting yourself under stress for...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
That all depends on whether the aim of owning a hifi is a means of relaxation or if it's a hobby or a challenge.

Evidently CJSF's hifi is a combination of the latter two added to a kind of 'quest' to regain a remembered sound from the 1980s (CJSF has often expressed this).

The 'challenge' part of the exercise seems to be to overcome all those 'naysayers' and 'bandwagons' and those of us who have 'sold out' to easy/lazy/'plug n play' solutions and digital (which in his opinion cannot be classed as hifi).

Hobbies and challenges are all well and good but have to know where or when to draw the line. The ONLY true way of recapturing the sound from the past is to track down the exact same equipement. To coin a metaphor: He is beating himself up over something that won't mimic a set-up from the 80s.

I'm no naysayer: Do you remember a few months ago the CDP replacement issue? In the end commonsense prevailed and I've detached myself for a while. The past few months I'm actually enjoying the system rather than pulling my hair out.

Three months down line the OP will still be posting the same issue.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Three months down line the OP will still be posting the same issue.

A statement of fact PP, that has not happened yet? . . . :?

Certainly I have achieved what was said could not or would not work . . . in that a 'quality audiophile cartridge' has, for me, produced a sound in terms of performance, detail, musicality and presentation, using a TT/arm of an inferred lower quality than it deserves.

Not quite as warm . . . never the less it is on the warm side of my imaginary line, highly musical, with that 'come hither', crooked finger . . . enough:dance: As with the 80's memory, general image presentation was remarkable, overall positioning certainly gave me the same experience I remember. Especially 'Miserere', the combination of choir positions in the stalls, gallery presentation and multiple parts in the gallery along with that soprano top 'C' all totally defined, the part that the soprano sang leading up to the 'C' note . . . absolutely beguiling presentation, in no way was it analytical, it was like being there. If you have a copy, there is more than one person in the gallery, their parts and the way they mingle is stunning.

A challenge, yes I like challenges in areas I am interested in, however, the challenge has to have a goal, in this case, I did not set out to do this, the cartridge I actually picked up yesterday for evaluation was a 'Linn Adikt', I happen to be in the right place, right time and my dealer is very accommodating.

It was a personal thing, I believed the Rega TT/arm was capable, the friendly dealer gave me the opportunity to see . . . knock me down with a feather when the stylus started to play with emotion, detail, presenting a personal performance in my music study that took me to the heights . . . and beyond? of my 80's memories. Simples', I enjoyed the music, my P5/700 combination (which dont forget, is not standard) is more than capable, where an individual goes from here is a personal choice.

You are right in what you say, keep well below £500, well below . . . the £500 to £1200 is a bit of a no man's land, better but the compromises? However jump to £1500 and I think its a different world, as it should be of course. The essential beauty is, TT/arm need not hold one back.

What I have discovered, current cartridge options are 2 dimensionally flat, musical cardboard cut outs in comparison with what I have just experienced . . . Will I still be chuntering on the same way in 3 months . . . no, I'm realistic enough to see that I have briefly lived a dream . . . feet firmly on floor now. However, as said previously, there is more to this story than I have told . . . ????

By the way Chebby, I believe you understand where I have just been . . . 8)

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
The essential beauty is, TT/arm need not hold one back.

Yeah but is your TT /Arm /SUT holding the Sumi Back ? :twisted: . Just teasing you CJ.

Out of interest how many miles are on the Sumi or is it a newbie ?.

Who hot rodded your 700 ?.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would be fascinated in the outcome if you ever "borrowed" an expensive TT from a friendly dealer, to compare with your CJ'd one.

It would make a great benchmark against which to judge yours, and clearly show to what extent your amp/speakers are the weak link.

This suggestion is purely of academic interest, and not in any way meant to suggest that you are heading the wrong way. Down the line, there might even be a sale. >)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:
The essential beauty is, TT/arm need not hold one back.

Yeah but is your TT /Arm /SUT holding the Sumi Back ? :twisted: . Just teasing you CJ.

Out of interest how many miles are on the Sumi or is it a newbie ?.

Who hot rodded your 700 ?.

You been reading between the lines ain't you floyd, no flies on you mate . . . :bounce:

TT/arm holding the Sumi back . . . not from what I have been listening to over the past 24 hours, floats my boat.

The tone arm is standard, no rewiring, just an ISOweight, I believe Rega use a decent 'OF copper' on the 700? all the rewires I have seen are silver, I dont like silver, any further than that is simply flim-flam IMHO. I have fitted an ISOsub-platter GT2 + ruby bearing, but the sub platter is my own damped version, very unusual concept, typically me, I have created a 'broken bell' with out breaking the sub . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
How do you like the Adikt?

Well now 'A.L' . . . I did briefly try the Linn Adikt . . . at its price point, and apart from the Sumiko, it would be one that I'd want to have spend more time with, fine tuning to the system and TT, in other words, I liked it, whether I would have parted with cash . . . that we will never know.

All academic now, the rest of the story on the 'Sumiko Pearwood' . . . it was a used trade in for another Sumiko. The hours are known to be high but the proof of the pudding; . . . install it in my TT, it sings sweet music. So negotiation time, I checked out re-build/re-tip cost . . . friendly dealer and I talked . . . I came out with a superb cartridge that I would never (want to) afford, with usable hours still on it, eventually it will need the TLC of a needle doctor, when? . . . how long is a piece of string . . . they say I think, most re-builds are due to damage rather than pure ware? Looking ahead, in all, the total cost will be a 'fraction'!!! of its new value and a lot less than the cartridges I had been looking at.

It matches the Ortofon T5 step up coils, and no, I wont be saying the same things regarding cartridges in 3 months time, (I do reserve the right8) ) story now over. Its time to sit back and listen to some amazing music locked up in those magic black discs . . . :dance:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I would be fascinated in the outcome if you ever "borrowed" an expensive TT from a friendly dealer, to compare with your CJ'd one. It would make a great benchmark against which to judge yours, and clearly show to what extent your amp/speakers are the weak link. This suggestion is purely of academic interest, and not in any way meant to suggest that you are heading the wrong way. Down the line, there might even be a sale. >)

I too would be interested Cno . . . :? . . . unlikely to happen, as I have often said, when I achieve my goal I will stop, that goal, I believe has been reached, its time to 'sto . . . ?' relax, listen to music, look forward to June and retiring . . . you see, any expenditure at this level will then be out of the question.

It will be a pound or two on used vinyl and CD's! at the local charity shop or boot jumble. Pottering in the garden, just had my gardener prepare the new extended veggie patch, tidy the front and back, afraid the legs and feet are very poor these days. Sit, plant, sow seeds, drink tea . . . but the hard graft . . . not any more. Jumping up and down changing records will be as active as I want to get, pull up the draw bridge and watch the world destroy its self????

CJSF :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
It matches the Ortofon T5 step up coils, and no, I wont be saying the same things regarding cartridges in 3 months time, (I do reserve the right8) ) story now over....

CJSF

....so now what are you going to do with yourself. :O

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:
It matches the Ortofon T5 step up coils, and no, I wont be saying the same things regarding cartridges in 3 months time, (I do reserve the right8) ) story now over....

CJSF

....so now what are you going to do with yourself. :O

Enjoy some music . . . ? :? . . . then look at the T5's, is there anything better, there are some vintage MC transformers about . . . and then . . . and then . . . :rofl:

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts