Does it have overdrive?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gearbox TT . . . anyone picked up on this:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/gearbox-automatic-will-sync-your-vinyl-spotify

A bit off the wall, but interesting non the less, any coments?

My imediate reaction was 'valve' . . . pity about the acrilic plinth box, it will resonate in the same way as a TT lid affects the sound if left attached. I remove my lid and pop it behind the sofa every time I use my P5, simple standard Rega slide in hinges,

Started listening to vinyle again, only today! . . . For the first time in over 6 months, what have I been missing, my Spotify is good, but the relaxed way vinyle presents on my system is totaly beguiling. Dug out a few of my favourits, Jennifer Warnes, Paul Simon, Carol Kidd and of course my beloves pipe organ Proprius recordings, I did not realise just how much I had missed them!

The physical up and down is a problem but it has to be faced and overcome. I must get to grips with life, some things one can't do but dont use that as excuse to not do anything!!!! Three steps forward, two steps back is progress in my book, today has been a step forward.

For those who dont remember, my system is:

. . . a pair of LB1 transmission line speakers, circa 1991, suported on a pair of Foundation Designer stands, conected by Linn K20 speaker cable to an Icon Audio P45 intigrated valve amp. The TT is a 'much modified' Rega P5, infact only the plynth and motor are original, and even the plynth has been modified. Cartridge is a Sumiko MC Pearwood Celebration, retiped by North West Audio. This plays into a Carver step up transformer which in turn, feeds the Icon seperate remote power supply phono stage.

As I say the TT is no longer any where near standard, with metal sub platter, a full ceramic bearing assembly, the main platter has been more than doubled in mass, isolated from the mass and the sub platter. The tone arm is an Audiomods Classic, I use a unique wood/foam cartridge attachment which isolates the cartridge from the arm.

No fancy cable in my system, it can change the sound but not in my experiance make it 'better'.

Hopfully I can keep climbing the personal mountain without falling off, as I say three steps forward, two back is positive.

Curently listening to 1973 mfp recording of the Westminster Cathederal Organ by Jane Parker-Smith. These old records seem to use much thicker vinyl and I prefer the recording techiques, might even be valve kit? Just put on Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, with volume!!!! . . . very ecclectic tasts me. The drive and power that one gets from these 'transmission line' speakers, I dont know why everyone does not use them . . . expense these days perhaps?

Wishing you all a good and properous New Year.

CJSF

CJSF said:
Gearbox TT . . . anyone picked up on this:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/gearbox-automatic-will-sync-your-vinyl-spotify

A bit off the wall, but interesting non the less, any coments?

My imediate reaction was 'valve' . . . pity about the acrilic plinth box, it will resonate in the same way as a TT lid affects the sound if left attached. I remove my lid and pop it behind the sofa every time I use my P5, simple standard Rega slide in hinges,

Started listening to vinyle again, only today! . . . For the first time in over 6 months, what have I been missing, my Spotify is good, but the relaxed way vinyle presents on my system is totaly beguiling. Dug out a few of my favourits, Jennifer Warnes, Paul Simon, Carol Kidd and of course my beloves pipe organ Proprius recordings, I did not realise just how much I had missed them!

The physical up and down is a problem but it has to be faced and overcome. I must get to grips with life, some things one can't do but dont use that as excuse to not do anything!!!! Three steps forward, two steps back is progress in my book, today has been a step forward.

For those who dont remember, my system is:

. . . a pair of LB1 transmission line speakers, circa 1991, suported on a pair of Foundation Designer stands, conected by Linn K20 speaker cable to an Icon Audio P45 intigrated valve amp. The TT is a 'much modified' Rega P5, infact only the plynth and motor are original, and even the plynth has been modified. Cartridge is a Sumiko MC Pearwood Celebration, retiped by North West Audio. This plays into a Carver step up transformer which in turn, feeds the Icon seperate remote power supply phono stage.

As I say the TT is no longer any where near standard, with metal sub platter, a full ceramic bearing assembly, the main platter has been more than doubled in mass, isolated from the mass and the sub platter. The tone arm is an Audiomods Classic, I use a unique wood/foam cartridge attachment which isolates the cartridge from the arm.

No fancy cable in my system, it can change the sound but not in my experiance make it 'better'.

Hopfully I can keep climbing the personal mountain without falling off, as I say three steps forward, two back is positive.

Curently listening to 1973 mfp recording of the Westminster Cathederal Organ by Jane Parker-Smith. These old records seem to use much thicker vinyl and I prefer the recording techiques, might even be valve kit? Just put on Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, with volume!!!! . . . very ecclectic tasts me. The drive and power that one gets from these 'transmission line' speakers, I dont know why everyone does not use them . . . expense these days perhaps?

Wishing you all a good and properous New Year.

CJSF

Same to you CJSF.

Cannot see them shifting many gears... :) Gearboxes I mean as I don't figure many into Spotify as a source are going to have a huge vinyl collection as well, could be wrong though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts