A Dali speaker I’d not heard of…

But now want…. A lot.
lottery win price point though unfortunately.
but they look lovely.

But now want…. A lot.
lottery win price point though unfortunately.
but they look lovely.

Oddly enough I read about those a couple of weeks ago when I put into Google "Dali flagship speaker". Wowser at 70k I wished I hadn't.

matthewpianist

As much as I enjoy good hi-fi, even if I had the money I couldn't justify £70k on a pair of speakers, or the further expenditure needed to get the best out of them. It's the same as the world of £70k cars and houses ten times larger than people need them - extravagant beyond reason IMO.

It's all still ultimately limited by recording quality, and I bet you'd find yourself listening to a tiny portion of your music given that anything but audiophile level recordings would probably sound dreadful. I remember hearing one of my favourite albums on a £100k system once, and the album sounding far better on my own modest set-up. When the hi-fi starts to ruin rather than enhance the musical experience, and the music ends up being chosen for its recording quality, that's when I'm out.

Last edited:

podknocker

I wouldn't buy £70k speakers, if I was a millionaire, because the law of diminishing returns kicks in much earlier than this. Also, if you could afford £70k speakers, wouldn't you be doing other things with your time and money? If I was a millionaire, I'd be travelling in taxis, between pubs, restaurants and hotels. I'd listen to music on my phone and my priorities would change. I don't see the point in £70k speakers, when £10k speakers would probably give you 99% of the performance anyway. It's the same with new TVs. You pop into a shop and see the perfect demo video, looping every few minutes and it shows what the TV can do. The thing is, does anyone really focus on this, when watching a documentary, or football, or Eastenders? I think technology is great, but obsessing about stats and specs, does detract from the listening, or viewing experience. If it's good enough, just enjoy it. As I've said before, if you become preoccupied with numbers and excess, it just becomes the pursuit of specs, for the sake of it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy £70k speakers, if I was a millionaire
Given how much would need to be spent on commensurate source/amp etc, I think you'd need to be into the multi-millionaire league to even consider it.

I've never heard anything in this league, so I won't second guess how much better it might be. I suspect that ultra high end stuff that suited my listening tastes could be life-changing, but it's unlikely to happen so who cares?

As much as I enjoy good hi-fi, even if I had the money I couldn't justify £70k on a pair of speakers, or the further expenditure needed to get the best out of them. It's the same as the world of £70k cars and houses ten times larger than people need them - extravagant beyond reason IMO.

It's all still ultimately limited by recording quality, and I bet you'd find yourself listening to a tiny portion of your music given that anything but audiophile level recordings would probably sound dreadful. I remember hearing one of my favourite albums on a £100k system once, and the album sounding far better on my own modest set-up. When the hi-fi starts to ruin rather than enhance the musical experience, and the music ends up being chosen for its recording quality, that's when I'm out.
Absolutely. Also you wouldn't want anyone going close to them and you'll be checking for Mark's, dust...

They would be a nightmare.

podknocker

You lot are a barrel of laughs. Talk about glass half empty 🤣🤣🤣
So if you were gifted these, or won them in a competition, you wouldn’t want them?
I would sell them for £70k and use the proceeds to relocate somewhere nicer. I love music, but these things are huge and ugly and massively overkill, for most domestic settings.

I would sell them for £70k and use the proceeds to relocate somewhere nicer. I love music, but these things are huge and ugly and massively overkill, for most domestic settings.
So true.

In addition you would be constantly analysing the music rather than enjoying it. That would wear thin on me after a while.

Sell them and buy something where the whole family can enjoy, such as a smart narrow boat for the summer or regular holidays or improvements to the house... or all three.

You lot are a barrel of laughs. Talk about glass half empty 🤣🤣🤣
So if you were gifted these, or won them in a competition, you wouldn’t want them?
In fact, I would have to sell the glasses, put the wife and daughter on Ebay, sell the cat to nearest Chinese takeaway.

I don't believe bigger is better, as I've owned and demoed so many floorstanders and standmounts.

I do think sometimes that those who mention the ‘law of diminishing returns’ have never heard products that would fall into that category. I’m not aiming that at anyone, I just hear it so frequently. I do sometimes feel it is used by those who would refuse to spend more money even if they could afford it. The meaning of the phrase exists to an extent, but it’s often overused and aimed at anything that involves four figures.

Having heard the latest iteration of the KEF Blades at Audio Show Deluxe over the weekend, and having owned the previous version myself, they’re a world away from the Eggleston Works Viginti (£30k vs £46k). It shows differences even at this level are just as wide as those between equipment below £10k or even £5k.

Recently heard a pair of £4500 loudspeakers with a £3400 amplifier, switched to a £5,000 amplifier, and the difference was astonishing.

The difference between a £2k system and a £10k system can be vast. Whether a product/system is worth £10k is down to the individual. The aforementioned Eggelston Works speakers were heard by many over the weekend, and having a chat with one visitor, he asked the price, and when I told him, he said that what they were doing for the money was very good value.

And I’m not saying this because I’m a dealer (most of you know I am). I am in the fortunate position to be able to hear this sort of stuff and spend some time around it, despite not being able to afford it. I do see some products like £150,000 speakers and have to question their value for money, what a potential customer would actually be getting for that money, and what else you can buy for that amount of money. 12 years ago I questioned £16,000 for KEF Blades, as you could buy a car for that, and comparing what you got from a materials point of view, seemed wrong. Nowadays, that’s not even a deposit on a house.

I have to say, if I had the money for those Eggleston Works, I’d buy them tomorrow.

Reactions: nopiano

podknocker

We all have different tastes and expectations and although some people will drop £70k on a pair of speakers, I doubt they would really get a great deal more enjoyment, than from a pair of speakers, at a tenth of the price. I wouldn't buy the most expensive things, just because I could. I'm more utilitarian and discerning, wanting the best fit for me, regardless of cost. Bigger and more expensive isn't a guarantee of better sound quality and as I mentioned in another post, it comes down to aesthetics after a certain price point, with the bling factor and exclusivity becoming the most important things and for some people, sound quality becomes less important. These DALI KORE speakers use great materials and are incredibly well made, but is it really necessary? You can buy very expensive items these days, but isn't it a little materialistic and superficial, wanting to own very expensive items just for the sake of it? I've changed my stance on this recently and although we all like having nice stuff and I do have several nice devices, I have now realised there are more important things in life and buying stuff does not always lead to a happy life and contentment. I'm not convinced there are materials and production techniques available, that could justify such high price tags. Sound quality doesn't go on forever and neither does a person's ability to hear these differences. Audio quality and the acuity of human hearing are finite, but the price of speakers, does appear to be endless these days.

Last edited:
We all have different tastes and expectations and although some people will drop £70k on a pair of speakers, I doubt they would really get a great deal more enjoyment, than from a pair of speakers, at a tenth of the price. I wouldn't buy the most expensive things, just because I could. I'm more utilitarian and discerning, wanting the best fit for me, regardless of cost. Bigger and more expensive isn't a guarantee of better sound quality and as I mentioned in another post, it comes down to aesthetics after a certain price point, with the bling factor and exclusivity becoming the most important things and for some people, sound quality becomes less important. These DALI KORE speakers use great materials and are incredibly well made, but is it really necessary? You can buy very expensive items these days, but isn't it a little materialistic and superficial, wanting to own very expensive items just for the sake of it? I've changed my stance on this recently and although we all like having nice stuff and I do have several nice devices, I have now realised there are more important things in life and buying stuff does not always lead to a happy life and contentment. I'm not convinced there are materials and production techniques available, that could justify such high price tags. Sound quality doesn't go on forever and neither does a person's ability to hear these differences. Audio quality and the acuity of human hearing are finite, but the price of speakers, does appear to be endless these days.
I posted my previous post just after yours, so I don’t know what you’ve added to your post since reposting it.

I can’t speak for the Kore, but they certainly do look like they’ve partly been designed to appeal visually to those with money who like a bit of bling. I’ve not heard them, so I can’t say what value they represent. Personally, I’m not into bling, I like products that do what they’re supposed to do - if they look nice, that’s a bonus. A nice finish goes a long way too though. Nothing worse than a good looking speaker that’s roughly finished, or edges that don’t meet up properly etc. But nowadays, many people want their hi-fi to look good, and sometimes it’s a prerequisite for getting it past the other half’s approval to even allow it through the front door.

More expensive speakers have a larger budget, which will usually mean better build quality and better quality materials. This may involves Beryllium tweeters, or carbon fibre mid and/or bass drivers. The difference these can bring to the listening experience is pretty big. Better quality materials for the drivers, and better designed drivers can mean less compression at higher volumes or during dynamic peaks. It’s certainly not a purely aesthetics.

Of course, there are some brands around that seem to trade on aesthetics. I won’t mention names, but the likes of a certain Italian speaker manufacturer and an American amplifier brand spring to mind. Even a British speaker brand seems to be trying to step up their bling for audiophile appeal, and one brand seems to be trying to price itself into the high-end loudspeaker market and earn itself high-end status. Do people buy these brands based on sound quality? Not usually, as there’s better sounding stuff out there, but some just want something photogenic to post on forums/Instagram etc to impress people. None of these brands get through my door, I hasten to add.

TRENDING THREADS