A certain CD92T on ebay...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:£120 is one haircut, remember.........

crikey, who's cutting your hair? or is that a price for all your hair?
emotion-1.gif

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
dont lie to your wife, that way lies disaster.........just be honest and tell her you want it, its your money and its really cool, way cooler than the old bit of kit.

i am constantly surprised by my wife when it comes to hifi........often hear....
cool what you gonna get?
is it a WHFS&V 5 stars?
what does it look like?
or ohh thats cheaper then i would have thought?

or my fave when i was auditioning my speakers she saw an arcam amp and said 'this looks nice you should listen to it too and get it if you like it' :)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
yeah honesty is best - i upgraded from an Arcam A70 and CD73 to the FMJ range a month ago. I got the CD36 player first and was going to stick with the A70 amplifier. After i set it up my wife looked at it smiled and said - i suppose you had better get the amplifier to match now ! ....................... i made sure that i booked a nice summer holiday once i had bought the amplifier and she was very happy.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks i will take a look at the site. I am interested to know your view of Sigs as main speakers. I have Epos M5 at the moment, and need small bookshelf ones due to room logistics - also i need fairly close the wall as well so how do the Sigs fare on the sound quality / positioning ?

John Duncan

timwileman:its your money

No it's not. First mistake.

timwileman:its really cool, way cooler than the old bit of kit

No it's not, it looks exactly the same.

timwileman:i am constantly surprised by my wife when it comes to hifi........often hear....
cool what you gonna get?
is it a WHFS&V 5 stars?
what does it look like?
or ohh thats cheaper then i would have thought?

or my fave when i was auditioning my speakers she saw an arcam amp and said 'this looks nice you should listen to it too and get it if you like it' :)

Ah, you're only one year in though. I used to get that too - after eleven (and three kids), it's "what the hell is this!?!?!?!?"

emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My missus isn't quite so understanding as she's just gone back to work as my salary was being somewhat eroded by her being off with the nipper, who's nearly one now. And we have just spent £15k on a new kitchen so savings have gone too.

On another note the ProAcs are fantastic speakers although where I have them wall mounted in my kitchen, and due to the shape/cupboards etc they are less than ideally positioned and hence don't sound as good as when they were in my living room. In addition I had Silver Anniversary cable in the living room, and some 6mm copper in the kitchen which I don;t think is as good. Having said all this, I'm splitting hairs a bit as they are wonderfully musical speakers with a great sound.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Sinem florist is just at the top of my road, and it's a bit blingy for my liking.

I have just been finding no-sugar cake recipes for her for Thomas' first birthday, and have offered to pick up a pair of flip-flops for her tomorrow after my meeting at Hamleys.

Can't say fairer than that

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The funniest thing will be that when I get it home, she'll say 'That's exactly the same, what are you wasting money for'.

Little does she know that it's got 4 Wolfson DACs and a quadruple carbonfibre microprocessor circuit board. How excited will she be when I tell her that!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:The funniest thing will be that when I get it home, she'll say 'That's exactly the same, what are you wasting money for'.

Little does she know that it's got 4 Wolfson DACs and a quadruple carbonfibre microprocessor circuit board. How excited will she be when I tell her that!

made me laugh out loud !.............. i remember trying to excitedly explain why my new player was so much better than the old one - and her immediate reply was to ask if i had taken the chicken out the freezer for dinner.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
timwileman:JohnDuncan:My Primare conversation went something like this:

"Is it better?"
"Yes"
"How?"
"It has a great knob"
"Well at least something has"

And that was that.

thats sheer class :)

She's quite right by all accounts too John.

My missus thinks I'm a knob too

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Ok, you've spent £120 but how much have you saved? That's the important thing, especially when my nearest and dearest comes home with an armful of bags and declares how much she's saved.
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks all, my daughter now thinks I'm insane - I'm just about wetting myself reading this thread, so much to recognise in my own experiences. I think I might show my wife..... oh, on second thoughts maybe that WOULD be insane.

A

Anonymous

gpi:Well, when it comes to new hi-fi, eating and drinking are over-rated.

100% correct. Food is a luxury.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:The funniest thing will be that when I get it home, she'll say 'That's exactly the same, what are you wasting money for'.

You can always show her the rave review here at a list price of £900 - every woman loves a bargain!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts