9.1 with 7 center speakers

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear ALL

Could someone inform me how IWSE is it to use as surround and rear-sorround ( and height speakers), the CENTER SPEAKER?

I currently hav a JBL L890 as mains and JBL LC2 for center. I am thinking as the best alternative form JBL L890 is to use the center LC2 speaker as surrounds and rear-surrounds. They have the better bandwidth (50hz-40KHz) than the bookshelf speakers (JBL L820 55Hz-40Khz) and a dedicated center speaker and extra 6'' low frequency speaker?

Am I missing something?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, there's no technical reason at all why you couldn't do that. The ideal surround system would use identical speakers in every position (and many packages are just that).

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks....

And should i use them in their horizontal position or can I use thm vertically as well...

I have read somewhere about 'worse' interferance between speakers in horizontal position than in vertical position...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Thanks....

And should i use them in their horizontal position or can I use thm vertically as well...

I have read somewhere about 'worse' interferance between speakers in horizontal position than in vertical position...

Given they'd have been designed to be used in the horizontal position I'd keep them like that, not least because I'd imagine they'd be pretty unstable stood on their ends.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

however they can be wall-mounted :)

Does anybody know what are the frequency ranges for:

1: Rear surround speakers

2: surround speakers

3: the new (front or back) height speakers (9.1 setup

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:

THat was the bit that I was going to question, how odd they might look all over the room.

I don't know about height speakers but all the surround channels are full range, so unless you're using full range speakers you need to think more about matching them with a suitable Sub but that question applies regardless of whether you're going to use centre channel speakers or not.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
L00k_C said:

THat was the bit that I was going to question, how odd they might look all over the room.

L00k_C said:
Well I believe they would look as any other 7.1 setup :) However i believe they are quite nice :).

L00k_C said:

I don't know about height speakers but all the surround channels are full range, so unless you're using full range speakers you need to think more about matching them with a suitable Sub but that question applies regardless of whether you're going to use centre channel speakers or not.

[/quote]

L00k_C said:
So how low do surrounds actually go.. below 50HZ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
So how low do surrounds actually go.. below 50HZ?

That will depend on how you have your AV receiver configured I expect. Most of them will be sending the really low stuff to the amp, based on the crossover frequency that's been set. If you don't have a sub of course that's probably a different matter.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
For certian I will have a sub and probably 2.

I was thinking of B&W PV1D....

And I guess SUB acan be any make and brand in relation to the rest home cinema speaker setup....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, whatever works best in your setup. Standard configuration is to send everything below 80Hz to the sub, so it probably doesn't matter if your speakers go down to 50Hz or only 55, unless you want to listen in a 9.0 config for multi-channel music or something.

TRENDING THREADS