9.1 Auro-3D Blu-Ray

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've only found one other post about this (by V1c in 2009!) but I've been tempted to buy a blu-ray from those great folks 2L which dropped into my email this morning...

https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/1001153

The disc is called "Remote Galaxy", recorded by the Philharmonia Orchestra with Vladimir Ashkenazy conducting.

As well as Stereo 192/24, it also has 5.1 (192/24), 7.1 (96/24) and something called 9.1 Auro-3D (96/24).

As I've got a 9.1 system (through a Pioneer LX85, via a Cambridge 751 BD player) will I be able to benefit from the ....

"...sound reproduction that is more realistic than anything you've heard before. It delivers a new standard in immersion, fully enveloping the audience in a cocoon of life-like audio".

Anyone already got/heard this release, or format?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info and the link. :)

I have a 9.2 setup ( Cambridge 751 BD player through an Onyko 818 + extra power amp ) so am very interested in what this will sound like, not really a classical fan but willing to give it a go.

Will let you know how it sounds.

:bounce:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've decided to risk it and buy. The last blu-ray I bought from 2L (recommended by Andrew Everett) arrived in a couple of days, so hope this will get here soon.

Listening to Diana Krall SACD this evening ( "The Girl in the Other Room") I was really impressed by the surround feel - haven't played SACDs or DVD-As for a while, as focused on my vinyl.

We can compare notes.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
You wont be able to benefit from the Auro 3D part of the disc as this is distinct information that needs to be decoded. AS I understand it you will need the decoding in the amp - just like DTS et al. We should see a few top end processors with Auro early next year.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
You wont be able to benefit from the Auro 3D part of the disc as this is distinct information that needs to be decoded. AS I understand it you will need the decoding in the amp - just like DTS et al. We should see a few top end processors with Auro early next year.

Ah! I'll have to make do with the 7.1 version :boohoo:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Got my copy on Satuday morning and spent an enjoyable afternoon listening to this, plus some other SACDs and DVD-Audio that I hadn't listened to for a long time.

The "Remote Galaxy" is a very interesting and enjoyable listen. As expected the Auro-3D didn't give me 9.1 - the Pioneer av receiver gave 5.1 instead, but the source 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio option worked very well.

In fact, it reminded me that I had upped my surround rear volumes because so few films make use of them, and even when they do, the level is very low.

With this recording the rears were used well and you really feel immersed in the centre of the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts