Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
There must be some way to fix it! :wall: So I guess retailers all know that Denon Blu-Ray players are junk! How annoying.

I can't see how cleaning it can do any good but try all you like.

Well , yes...it is annoying ...At the end of the day those extended warranties that they offer when you buy , now do not seem to bad :) Shame you have to realise it the hard way :(

I'll see what I can do and will post back witn the outcome . cheers Gel

D

Deleted member 2457

atanakata said:
gel said:
There must be some way to fix it! :wall: So I guess retailers all know that Denon Blu-Ray players are junk! How annoying.

I can't see how cleaning it can do any good but try all you like.

Well , yes...it is annoying ...At the end of the day those extended warranties that they offer when you buy , now do not seem to bad :) Shame you have to realise it the hard way :(

I'll see what I can do and will post back witn the outcome . cheers Gel

Something must be able to be done! Anyone?

As the player is over 4 years old, it is difficult to get the retailer / manufacturer to repair it free of charge. Potentially, you can use Sale of Goods Act, but it's up to the OP to prove that the problem is a result of manufacturing defect.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
As the player is over 4 years old, it is difficult to get the retailer / manufacturer to repair it free of charge. Potentially, you can use Sale of Goods Act, but it's up to the OP to prove that the problem is a result of manufacturing defect.

Thanks for the suggestion Big Boss. I don`t think I`ll have any luck with that, but certainly will have a read through the Sale of Goods Act later on this evening. I know somebody that had a Sony TV with 1 year warranty that broke after 20 months , and after a long saga with Sony he bought a new one of them and they agreed to repair the old one for him free of charge . The repair itself was about £800 :) So he ended up with 2 working TV`s ...

Good suggestion nevertheless .txs

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
JezBrooker said:
Hi All, My DBP-2012UD just started to do the same thing after the latest firmware update. Noticed on AV Forums that people with the newer models are experiencing the same issues. Looks like Denon have messed up. Can't find a way to back rev the firmware to test. Getting any info out of Denon is like banging you head against a brick wall. The change log on the Firmware site doesn't give any clues or support. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware release. Back to my Panasonic BD35 for now.

Hi JezBrooker,

Just a suggestion, I don not know if it will work with the restoring the old firmware , but to RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULTS use the following, it is definitely worth a try :

Switch the player ON > Remove any disks from the tray > On the remote press the buttons in the following order 1 2 3 4 and then DISPLAY > Depending on the model you will probably see a greenish screen on the TV and few squares on player's display > Now press the STOP button on the remote > Now on the TV you should have the same greenish screen , whereas on the Player's screen you should see CLEAR > To finish with the Reset press The POWER OFF on your remote.

!!! Now, this is for my BDP 2010 model.It would probably work on yours too,but I can not guarantee,and it is entirely your decision wether to use it or not

Good luck.Hope it works for you :)

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Decision has been made .

Faulty Denon stays as a CD Player and DVD Upscaler . No point selling on E-bay. It will fetch £ 50 - 100 at max . ( followed couple auctions in the last week to see what price they will get to ) ....No point selling it for peanuts . Feeding with its sort-of-decent DAC , a Leema Pulse amp , still sound quite sweet ....Watching DVD`s is still a treat ...

The Blu-Ray playback will be taken care of a Sony BDP-S4200 or S5200. Still waiting for Sony to reply to my question about the screen mirroring - the main difference between both units . It is done via Miracast , not sure if that will work with my I-phone and I-pad .... Also, the two players are the only players that small ...Size is a big issue for me , as not much room on AV rack......Shame WHF still has not reviewed any of those new players

Personally, if you have not already done so, I would try to find a way to do a factory reset on your machine.

If you manage to get this to work then disconnect it from the 'web' so it cannot automatically update the software.

If all else fails try to find a localy electrical dealer who can change out the laser mechanism (it doesn't need to be a Denon dealer).

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Personally, if you have not already done so, I would try to find a way to do a factory reset on your machine.

If you manage to get this to work then disconnect it from the 'web' so it cannot automatically update the software.

If all else fails try to find a locally electrical dealer who can change out the laser mechanism (it doesn't need to be a Denon dealer).

Hiya mate, thank you for the kind suggestions..

I have..I have tried to do so.If you look above I have actually described how the Factory Reset needs to be done ( another forum member had a similar problem ) ...so I have gone trough that. It did not work. As a matter of fact my player had never been connected to the net, so it has not updated it software automatically. I did a manual update of the software - another attempt to solve the problem - no luck again...

I have also spoken to a local engineer , a friend of mine by the way , who works for Music Matters . Describing the problem to him and what I have done in order to fix it, he is nearly certain that is the laser that needs replacing ... There are 2 lasers apparently in these units , the Blu-Ray one has gone by the looks of it . The frustration raised when I counted my BluRay disc collection . No more than 60 discs , some of them watched twice ok , but at the end of the day this player has not gone trough more than 100 BluRay disc at the max...I am not happy with that durability .When you pay that much extra for quality unit - it should last more.

So he said , the lasers are normally around £120 , plus some little labour .... we are talking about trowing good money after bad money ... If I get the Sony , that would be less then £100 ... I just hope the picture is nearly as good as the Denon`s

I see, sorry I didn't dig deeper into your thread. You are right in that you should expect these items to last a lot longer than it did.

Bad show on Denon's part in not repairing free of charge even if out of warranty.

I have an old Sony S790 and it has never put a step wrong.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
I see, sorry I didn't dig deeper into your thread. You are right in that you should expect these items to last a lot longer than it did.

Bad show on Denon's part in not repairing free of charge even if out of warranty.

I have an old Sony S790 and it has never put a step wrong.

I know ... I spoke to Denon few times , no such thing offered ... They were very kind to give me the correct contacts for their authorised services , which charge £ 60 -70 for inspection only ...

You said your Sony is been great ... Apparently , the s790 is a great product altogether ... the only thing that stops me of buying one is that I think the CD playback via the 2-ch. analog will not be as good as the Denon. It has a 192kHz/24-bit Burr Brown DACs , which is pretty good for a BluRay player . But if the new Sony`s players picture is as good as the S790 , I will be quite happy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts