atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wonder if somebody has experienced this sort of problem. I have had my Denon for about 4 years now. Have paid over 400 for it as I needed quality player , with a decent DAC for CD palyback ....Immaculately mentained , with no problems whatsoever . Couple of days ago , halfway through the film it freezes , and that is it... Since then it can not play Blu Rays any more. .It tries to spin the disk , but no luck...It tries so hard that it gets in to a state , that you need to press the Eject several times and wait 1-2 minutes untill you are able to open the tray....

However , there is no such a problem with CD's and DVD's ....it still plays the without any troubles...but no Blurays...

Any help or advise will be highly appreciated .....Many thanks

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have connected it via ethernet cable and have just updated the software . If this includes the new firmware, then yes I have done it and it did not work : (

thanks anyway

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, seems odd that it would still read DVD and CDs. I feel as though it must be a software issue. Perhaps the latest firmware isn't agreeable. Worth giving Denon support a call I would think.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
when did you buy the player? Still under warranty?

Ahem:

atanakata said:
I have had my Denon for about 4 years now.

Unlikely to be covered by any warranty

How long is it since you made a - cough - accidental-damage claim on your house-contents insurance? Hots cups of coffee can wreak havock on electrical equipent you know... ;)

MajorFubar said:
bigboss said:

Ahem:

atanakata said:

How long is it since you made a - cough - accidental-damage claim on your house-contents insurance? Hots cups of coffee can wreak havock on electrical equipent you know... ;)

Was in a hurry walking towards work. :)

I'm afraid it's time to buy a new player then.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably have to won't I ...It is a pitty as it is still a wonderful CD and DVD upscaling player...I might buy a cheap Blu-Ray player with decent picture , something up to £ 100 ( any suggestions ), and still keep the Denon as my CD player as I like the sound of it , and the look of it too :)

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
bigboss said:

Ahem:

atanakata said:

Ha ha MajorFubar, you made my evening ...

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Tarxman said:
Hmmm, seems odd that it would still read DVD and CDs. I feel as though it must be a software issue. Perhaps the latest firmware isn't agreeable. Worth giving Denon support a call I would think.

Yes, it reads them without any troubles...and yes, I have contatcted Denon, they said that they only deal with appliances up to 2 years old , i.e. In-warranty repairs. After that , one needs to contact the authorised services ...so I did , and I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out :(

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
atanakata said:
Tarxman said:

Yes, it reads them without any troubles...and yes, I have contatcted Denon, they said that they only deal with appliances up to 2 years old , i.e. In-warranty repairs. After that , one needs to contact the authorised services ...so I did , and I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out :(

Gee whizz! They don't offer any support on products older than two years? That's a bit rubbish really. Not worth it then if they're going to charge you just to find out what the problem is.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Tarxman said:
atanakata said:
Tarxman said:

Gee whizz! They don't offer any support on products older than two years? That's a bit rubbish really. Not worth it then if they're going to charge you just to find out what the problem is.

yes, I know it is not worth it....Trouble is that I need a quality player with a good DAC as I play CD's too...so I don want to getbrid of this one just yet.... Will probably buy a cheaper one with a decent picture and used the two together.....Problem is I have not got any more room on the AV rack. Ha ha ha....but thanks for support anyway :) much appreciated

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Was just thinking; try a blu ray lens cleaner like this and see if it solves the problem:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellowes-Blu-Ray-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B006LLR99W

I tried, bigboss....it did not work :( Thanks anyway....I am looking at the Sonys and Panasonic- ones now

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
atanakata said:
I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out :(

Welcome to the 21st century and its disposable junk which is deliberately engineered to be cost-ineffective to repair.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
atanakata said:
I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out :(

Welcome to the 21st century and its disposable junk which is deliberately engineered to be cost-ineffective to repair.
I know :(

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Btw, I was advised to try again with a lens cleaning disk, not the dry-type though , but the one with the cleaning liquid.... If not , to open the device up and attempt to clean the lens myself, as I have done many times before with cheap DVD players....So , I will give it a go..and let you know the outcome :)

JezBrooker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi All, My DBP-2012UD just started to do the same thing after the latest firmware update. Noticed on AV Forums that people with the newer models are experiencing the same issues. Looks like Denon have messed up. Can't find a way to back rev the firmware to test. Getting any info out of Denon is like banging you head against a brick wall. The change log on the Firmware site doesn't give any clues or support. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware release. Back to my Panasonic BD35 for now.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
JezBrooker said:
Hi All, My DBP-2012UD just started to do the same thing after the latest firmware update. Noticed on AV Forums that people with the newer models are experiencing the same issues. Looks like Denon have messed up. Can't find a way to back rev the firmware to test. Getting any info out of Denon is like banging you head against a brick wall. The change log on the Firmware site doesn't give any clues or support. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware release. Back to my Panasonic BD35 for now.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Your player is much newer , which makes it even worst to take ... Is it out of the 2 years warranty yet ?

DId the problem start only after you did the update , or you`ve had some symptoms before ?

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hiya all,

Just a little update : After multiple cleaning attempts , using both dry and with cleaning fluid lens cleaner disk I came to the conclusion that this is NOT going to work :) Looks like a new player is due. I will buy a much cheaper one this time, to use just as a BluRay player, and will keep using the Denon as my CD player and DVD upscaler ...It is a shame, and my AV rack will look messier with another unit on, but on a positive note , will have a 3D player as well. The Denon was just a BluRay, no 3D....

Just wonder , shall I give it one last try and open it , and attempt to clean the lense myself , using spirit and a cotton bud. I have done it before with older players and it had always worked.However I have never tried on BluRay player....It may work , but it may ruins it completely , so I loose also the Cd and Dvd player :)

Your thoughts will be much appreciated .Thank you

D

Deleted member 2457

There must be some way to fix it! :wall: So I guess retailers all know that Denon Blu-Ray players are junk! How annoying.

I can't see how cleaning it can do any good but try all you like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts