8 year old Sony 40w2000 - how much better have tvs got?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Just wondering how much tv technology has progressed over the last 8 years, not really bothered about 3d or smart tv functionality but more focussed on actual picture quality ignoring 4k for now, I know a lot of new innovations have come out but when most reviews suggest turning off all the unnatural processing I wonder what if anything i am missing?

My only real complaint with my current set is i think the sd channels look a little soft so hoping tuners may have also got better/more efficient but i guess i am thinking do i buy a new tv or just a new pvr?

D

Deleted member 2457

matengawhat said:
Just wondering how much tv technology has progressed over the last 8 years, not really bothered about 3d or smart tv functionality but more focussed on actual picture quality ignoring 4k for now, I know a lot of new innovations have come out but when most reviews suggest turning off all the unnatural processing I wonder what if anything i am missing?

My only real complaint with my current set is i think the sd channels look a little soft so hoping tuners may have also got better/more efficient but i guess i am thinking do i buy a new tv or just a new pvr?
A normal LED not much has changed in my view. On the other hand you have OLED at about £1700 and these TVs are a big upgrade.

There weren't many LED lit LCD TVs 8 years ago. LCD TV technology has certainly improved quite significantly over the last 8 years, to the extent that they were competing against plasmas and are still holding up alongside OLED.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
There weren't many LED lit LCD TVs 8 years ago. LCD TV technology has certainly improved quite significantly over the last 8 years, to the extent that they were competing against plasmas and are still holding up alongside OLED.

i disagree, no way are the black levels and viewing angles comparable as plasma and motion is no where near. For OLED, then this is compatible against plasma if not better.

i do however agree led lit LCD has come along way from 8 years ago but the deep inky blacks are not comparable to plasma or OLED.

go see for your self and if the blacks are not important, then LCD is the way forward for you..

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I was going to post a similar topic but you beat me. Basicly the last few days I have been trawling the tv stores studying the new led screens and have decided to carry on using our excellent plasma Sony Bravia 32 " and wait until they can make a tv that displayed sd tv, dvd and hd chanels better than plasma. They all looked terrible, far worse than a plasma. "Allo Allo" was playing in Currys on a giant, curved samsung 4k screen on the wall ( that cost thousands) and it was abysmal. There was purple fringing around the people and the resolution was worse than the most crude impressionist painting and the contrast was washed out. Even the smaller screens with HD looked false as if someone had rendered a photo to look like a paitning. Horrible. I spoke to an "assistant" in Currys (only went there to view, not to buy of course) about the poor quality of a tv signal through the giant Samsung and he said "well, it was an old tv programe" but then later admitted that he agreed that tv looks pretty awfull and why didn't they stay with plasma. I enquired if I could view tv through the Samsung UE48JU7000 (which I was convinced I would be buying after reading reviews) and he couldnt do it. He said they can't really get tv signals through the tv's in store (I wonder why) which is why they loop 4k clips via a usb which is no good to me. He then agreed that all these new tvs (including the JU7000) would display sd tv like the large screen on the wall. The day before we visited a large department store and an assistant in there also lamented plasma tvs compared to the led.

To conclude, I am hanging on to my money until something amazing and affordable comes along.

D

Deleted member 2457

marb67 said:
I was going to post a similar topic but you beat me. Basicly the last few days I have been trawling the tv stores studying the new led screens and have decided to carry on using our excellent plasma Sony Bravia 32 " and wait until they can make a tv that displayed sd tv, dvd and hd chanels better than plasma. They all looked terrible, far worse than a plasma. "Allo Allo" was playing in Currys on a giant, curved samsung 4k screen on the wall ( that cost thousands) and it was abysmal. There was purple fringing around the people and the resolution was worse than the most crude impressionist painting and the contrast was washed out. Even the smaller screens with HD looked false as if someone had rendered a photo to look like a paitning. Horrible. I spoke to an "assistant" in Currys (only went there to view, not to buy of course) about the poor quality of a tv signal through the giant Samsung and he said "well, it was an old tv programe" but then later admitted that he agreed that tv looks pretty awfull and why didn't they stay with plasma. I enquired if I could view tv through the Samsung UE48JU7000 (which I was convinced I would be buying after reading reviews) and he couldnt do it. He said they can't really get tv signals through the tv's in store (I wonder why) which is why they loop 4k clips via a usb which is no good to me. He then agreed that all these new tvs (including the JU7000) would display sd tv like the large screen on the wall. The day before we visited a large department store and an assistant in there also lamented plasma tvs compared to the led.

To conclude, I am hanging on to my money until something amazing and affordable comes along.
There are some cheaper OLEDs coming out later this year but they are 55-inches again.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think now that we are accustomed to HD pictures that SD will always look inferior no matter which TV you view them on and particularly as larger screens are the norm.

Personally I would think twice about buying a Samsung Smart TV because more often than not when selecting the 'Smart Hub' it either wants to update it and install apps that I have no intention of using or it updates an app that I do want to use and either way it can take a few minutes to do this. Also I have a Synology NAS drive that I have stored some videos on and the problem with the Samsung it is that whilst it will allow me to pause it, it won't fast forward or rewind. There is an app called DS video that you can use if you have a Synology NAS but this has other problems.

It also seems to require more key presses than necessary to do simple things. For example on my Sony TV the remote has a button that simply toggles subtitles on or off but on the Samsung it brings up a small menu which requires several key presses to achieve the same thing.

Paul.

JZC said:
I think now that we are accustomed to HD pictures that SD will always look inferior no matter which TV you view them on and particularly as larger screens are the norm.

Personally I would think twice about buying a Samsung Smart TV because more often than not when selecting the 'Smart Hub' it either wants to update it and install apps that I have no intention of using or it updates an app that I do want to use and either way it can take a few minutes to do this. Also I have a Synology NAS drive that I have stored some videos on and the problem with the Samsung it is that whilst it will allow me to pause it, it won't fast forward or rewind. There is an app called DS video that you can use if you have a Synology NAS but this has other problems.

It also seems to require more key presses than necessary to do simple things. For example on my Sony TV the remote has a button that simply toggles subtitles on or off but on the Samsung it brings up a small menu which requires several key presses to achieve the same thing.

you can get plex server on your synology and a native plex app on the samsung, give it a go it's good.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
In response to the original question, I recently replaced an aging 42" Pana LCD TV with a new 40" Sony LCD and honestly see a massive improvement in most areas. Like the original post stated I was interested only in a good quality monitor and not fussed with smart features etc etc etc and I'm very happy with my new Sony. In addition the styling and narrow frames make newer TV's much more elegant and fashionable.

I would also suggest that most retailers (like Curry's) are the worst settings to evaluate the screen quality as settings generally are way off the mark and not a true reflection of what is possible at home, not to mention watching some old low quality program like Allo Allo!!

Best of luck but I would suggest doing plenty of research...

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
matengawhat said:

A normal LED not much has changed in my view. On the other hand you have OLED at about £1700 and these TVs are a big upgrade.
If thats the case anyone upgrading an LCD TV in the past 5 yrs say...have wasted their money. My 1st proper HDTV, at the time, was a Sony p2530 40" in black. It was a budget TV made for those who wanted a Sony TV with Bravia Engine processing & it was a black model instead of silver or dark grey. Then my next was a W3000, A major step forward esp. PQ. wise even then, It just had a lot more menu options, most of which are carried over to todays menus esp. where reality creation is concerned. Apart from that Bravia Engine ex, 1080 24p support, auto dimming which helped it garner a more uniform screen that the previous W2000. It really was the complete LCD TV that competed with the best at its pricepoint.

But compared to the TV i have today...theres absolutely no comparison PQ wise. Todays successful LED LCD TVs leave 2007s LCD TVs way behind. To throw a 1080p OLED in against any mid-high range LED is just like throwing the 2007 Pioneer Kuro against any 2007 LCD. Remember also the 1080p OLED TVs came in at six grand until the 200% price drop, so leaving OLED in its way superior 1080p corner Vs. A good LED model, imo, PQ has leaped forward on all platforms (incl. plasma rip) since 2007 including LCD TVs. Especially in the last 2 years or so. Take the Sony 2013 50/55" w905/2014 w829 & Samsung 50/55" F7000/H6400 TVs... 2007/2008 TVs cannot come close, which is how it should be anyway.
smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
gel said:
matengawhat said:

If thats the case anyone upgrading an LCD TV in the past 5 yrs say...have wasted their money. My 1st proper HDTV, at the time, was a Sony p2530 40" in black. It was a budget TV made for those who wanted a Sony TV with Bravia Engine processing & it was a black model instead of silver or dark grey. Then my next was a W3000, A major step forward esp. PQ. wise even then, It just had a lot more menu options, most of which are carried over to todays menus esp. where reality creation is concerned. Apart from that Bravia Engine ex, 1080 24p support, auto dimming which helped it garner a more uniform screen that the previous W2000. It really was the complete LCD TV that competed with the best at its pricepoint.

But compared to the TV i have today...theres absolutely no comparison PQ wise. Todays successful LED LCD TVs leave 2007s LCD TVs way behind. To throw a 1080p OLED in against any mid-high range LED is just like throwing the 2007 Pioneer Kuro against any 2007 LCD. Remember also the 1080p OLED TVs came in at six grand until the 200% price drop, so leaving OLED in its way superior 1080p corner Vs. A good LED model, imo, PQ has leaped forward on all platforms (incl. plasma rip) since 2007 including LCD TVs. Especially in the last 2 years or so. Take the Sony 2013 50/55" w905/2014 w829 & Samsung 50/55" F7000/H6400 TVs... 2007/2008 TVs cannot come close, which is how it should be anyway.
My Dad has the Sony 40lx903 and that has just as good picture on today's TVs. So does his Pioneer 427xd. the only TVs that are better are OLEDs, the rest are rubbish!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
My Dad has the Sony 40lx903 and that has just as good picture on today's TVs. So does his Pioneer 427xd.

I'm slightly surprised to read that, since I have the slightly later Pioneer 428XD (now twice-relegated and in my bedroom) and though it is a very decent set, especially black level and the colours after being calibrated by Mr Steve Withers two years ago, I do notice that when fed a Blu-ray or Humax Freeview HD it simply isn't quite as sharp as a full HD set, its pixel resolution is only HD ready. So, that is a medium-sized failing, but it is the 428XD's only failing.

gel said:
My Dad has the Sony 40lx903 and that has just as good picture on today's TVs. So does his Pioneer 427xd. the only TVs that are better are OLEDs, the rest are rubbish!

Here we go again with gel proclaiming that only OLED televisions are any good. That's clearly not the opinion of the professional television reviewers at What Hi-Fi, Home Cinema Choice magazine, HDTV test, AVForums and Trusted Reviews. They will all say that OLED is very good but not perfect, and they all say that some (not all) of 1080p and 4K sets are also very good, but also not perfect, with different imperfections from OLED. For instance, the 2015 Samsung UExxJU7000 series seems find much favour, this by Trusted Reviews of the 48-inch model http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue48js7000t-review and this by our very own What Hi-Fi of the 65-inch version http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue65ju7000/review.

Gel, it is simply not correct to keep saying that only OLED televisions are any good and I do wish that you would desist.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
My Dad has the Sony 40lx903 and that has just as good picture on today's TVs. So does his Pioneer 427xd.

I'm slightly surprised to read that, since I have the slightly later Pioneer 428XD (now twice-relegated and in my bedroom) and though it is a very decent set, especially black level and the colours after being calibrated by Mr Steve Withers two years ago, I do notice that when fed a Blu-ray or Humax Freeview HD it simply isn't quite as sharp as a full HD set, its pixel resolution is only HD ready. So, that is a medium-sized failing, but it is the 428XD's only failing.

gel said:

Here we go again with gel proclaiming that only OLED televisions are any good. That's clearly not the opinion of the professional television reviewers at What Hi-Fi, Home Cinema Choice magazine, HDTV test, AVForums and Trusted Reviews. They will all say that OLED is very good but not perfect, and they all say that some (not all) of 1080p and 4K sets are also very good, but also not perfect, with different imperfections from OLED. For instance, the 2015 Samsung UExxJU7000 series seems find much favour, this by Trusted Reviews of the 48-inch model http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue48js7000t-review and this by our very own What Hi-Fi of the 65-inch version http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue65ju7000/review.

Gel, it is simply not correct to keep saying that only OLED televisions are any good and I do wish that you would desist.
Okay, fair enough. LEDs are quite good just not great great. Back to the op and he doesn't want 4K but wants to know if LEDs have improved, in my opinion once you get a really good one they only improve slightly, unless you jump technologies.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Okay, fair enough. LEDs are quite good just not great great. Back to the op and he doesn't want 4K but wants to know if LEDs have improved, in my opinion once you get a really good one they only improve slightly, unless you jump technologies.

I know this is a 4K example, of no use to the OP, but Samsung's top flat 4K series from 2014, the HU7500, was really well received in the press. But I was in Richer Sounds last week and they said that Samsung's best flat 4K series from this year, 2015, the JU7000 that I mentioned above, was definitely better than the HU7500. Same basic technology, yet noticeable - but not great, I grant you - improvements have been made.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
johnjay said:
gel said:
matengawhat said:

so you are saying your previous VT wasn't as good as any LED TV? I don't think so Gel..! I agree OLED is the way forward but you've not compared your OLED that has not been calibrated against the old ZT. I have and your OLED vs ZT plasma (rip) :) the plasma won in 1080p. And; lets get this into perspective I'm talking about true colours, blacks and shadow detail...

we are in complete limbo land at the moment and until another manufacturer brings out a comparable OLED then this will not be the leading TV tech, unfortunately it will be LCD...

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
matengawhat said:

Following bigboss's post about his two generations of 32" Sony LCDs, I'll be able to answer authoritatively regarding plasmas (remember them?) sometime early next year. I've temporarily lost Screen 4, where my Pioneer LX5090 is, because an acquaintance of mine became homeless at two hours' notice in October 2014. So after he leaves I'll be able to compare that 9th generation Pioneer with the Panasonic VT65 in the parlour. My current impression is that there isn't much difference in picture quality between the two of them, despite the Panasonic coming to market in 2013, five years later than the last-generation Pioneer plasma.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
johnjay said:
gel said:
matengawhat said:

so you are saying your previous VT wasn't as good as any LED TV? I don't think so Gel..! I agree OLED is the way forward but you've not compared your OLED that has not been calibrated against the old ZT. I have and your OLED vs ZT plasma (rip) :) the plasma won in 1080p. And; lets get this into perspective I'm talking about true colours, blacks and shadow detail...

we are in complete limbo land at the moment and until another manufacturer brings out a comparable OLED then this will not be the leading TV tech, unfortunately it will be LCD...
I didn't say that my VT wasn't as good as any LED TV. My VT65 was really good but we were talking about LED in this thread. Plasma improved slightly year on year for Panasonic but Pioneer was consistently at a really high level with slight improvements. My OLED is definitely better than my VT. That is my view and Steve Withers. I have no idea what happened at your event thing, perhaps you had a faulty OLED? *smile*. Everybody on AVForums knows OLED is better than plasma. It's not hard to work out?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
[I didn't say that my VT wasn't as good as any LED TV. My VT65 was really good but we were talking about LED in this thread. Plasma improved slightly year on year for Panasonic but Pioneer was consistently at a really high level with slight improvements. My OLED is definitely better than my VT. That is my view and Steve Withers. I have no idea what happened at your event thing, perhaps you had a faulty OLED? *smile*. Everybody on AVForums knows OLED is better than plasma. It's not hard to work out?

(See my space-saving selective quotation, gel?) I will freely concede that even justly-celebrated black levels of the ninth-generation Pioneer Kuro plasma and of the last-generation Panasonic plasma, the VT65, both of which I have, are eclipsed by the sloe-blackness of a well-set-up OLED, such as both gel and Oldboy have! *dance4*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The Kuro 5090 was capable of a reference image so you could get a great calibration out of it with minimum controls.

The VT65 has just as good blacks, better calibration controls, allowing for a near perfect calibration.

The main difference is in how clean the image is on the VT65 - its much cleaner image with much less noticeable dither. The ZT is cleaner again because of the bonding etc, but smaller ;)

Easy example for me is Batman Dark Knight - the imax scene with the chase through the underground passage.

A Copper knocks on the door of a lorry and the joker pops up and caps him. Now on my 5090 the Coppers top was always dithered blue and didnt look quite right. On my VT65 its perfectly uniform.

However the Kuro could still do a reference quality image with good blacks so is always going to be very very good. Pretty much plateu situation, even the Kuro before the 5090 a pal has and I have been able to calibrate that to give a great, well calibrated image as well thats comparable to todays tv's. Thats why bigger is better, always buy the biggest you can

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The Kuro 5090 was capable of a reference image so you could get a great calibration out of it with minimum controls.

The VT65 has just as good blacks, better calibration controls, allowing for a near perfect calibration.

The main difference is in how clean the image is on the VT65 - its much cleaner image with much less noticeable dither. The ZT is cleaner again because of the bonding etc, but smaller ;)

Easy example for me is Batman Dark Knight - the imax scene with the chase through the underground passage.

A Copper knocks on the door of a lorry and the joker pops up and caps him. Now on my 5090 the Coppers top was always dithered blue and didnt look quite right. On my VT65 its perfectly uniform.

However the Kuro could still do a reference quality image with good blacks so is always going to be very very good. Pretty much plateu situation, even the Kuro before the 5090 a pal has and I have been able to calibrate that to give a great, well calibrated image as well thats comparable to todays tv's. Thats why bigger is better, always buy the biggest you can

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I read something interesting on I think LG960 thread on AVF.

Chap had it calibrated and said after - it reminds him of a PDP - funny that

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
[/quote]I didn't say that my VT wasn't as good as any LED TV. My VT65 was really good but we were talking about LED in this thread. Plasma improved slightly year on year for Panasonic but Pioneer was consistently at a really high level with slight improvements. My OLED is definitely better than my VT. That is my view and Steve Withers. I have no idea what happened at your event thing, perhaps you had a faulty OLED? *smile*. Everybody on AVForums knows OLED is better than plasma. It's not hard to work out?

[/quote]

the OLED 1080p at the event was not faulty and all TVs at this event were calibrated by Vincent teoh who also calibrated my VT.

the OLED came 2nd to the ZT that is fact and the people I spoke to the event were all in agreement that the OLED didn't display blues as naturally as the ZT. The blacks were deeper than the ZT but the shadow detail wasn't as good as the ZT and is as important to deep blacks in my view. Your OLED was he same as this 1 and that is also fact and was nearly a couple of years ago.

since the release of your 1080p OLED, then things have moved on and I've not seen the new 4k oled's but I would concede they are superior to the old plasma which is fantastic because I will be purchasing 1 of these very soon now that the new lg HDR will soon to be launched as per the news on av forums.

with regards to the LED vs plasma comment I made; I was simply responding to your previous comment Gel, so maybe you ought to go back on your threads before you respond so hastily..

All in all it's great that technology is moving forward but please stop saying your TV is the best because it just winds people up! BUT you do have a very very good TV :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts