8 year old Sony 40w2000 - how much better have tvs got?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

I didn't say that my VT wasn't as good as any LED TV. My VT65 was really good but we were talking about LED in this thread. Plasma improved slightly year on year for Panasonic but Pioneer was consistently at a really high level with slight improvements. My OLED is definitely better than my VT. That is my view and Steve Withers. I have no idea what happened at your event thing, perhaps you had a faulty OLED? *smile*. Everybody on AVForums knows OLED is better than plasma. It's not hard to work out?

[/quote]

the OLED 1080p at the event was not faulty and all TVs at this event were calibrated by Vincent teoh who also calibrated my VT.

the OLED came 2nd to the ZT that is fact and the people I spoke to the event were all in agreement that the OLED didn't display blues as naturally as the ZT. The blacks were deeper than the ZT but the shadow detail wasn't as good as the ZT and is as important to deep blacks in my view. Your OLED was he same as this 1 and that is also fact and was nearly a couple of years ago.

since the release of your 1080p OLED, then things have moved on and I've not seen the new 4k oled's but I would concede they are superior to the old plasma which is fantastic because I will be purchasing 1 of these very soon now that the new lg HDR will soon to be launched as per the news on av forums.

with regards to the LED vs plasma comment I made; I was simply responding to your previous comment Gel, so maybe you ought to go back on your threads before you respond so hastily..

All in all it's great that technology is moving forward but please stop saying your TV is the best because it just winds people up! BUT you do have a very very good TV :)

[/quote]Fair enough. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

Hang on a minute I never talked about plasma in this thread because it's not an option not because I was dismissing it, but if we are going to talk about it everybody on AV Forums say OLED is better than plasma and I agree. Steve Withers, Canary Jules the THX calibrated on state OLED is better too, and that is a fact! OLED all the way! *smile*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
In post 3 BB was talking about plasma still comparable to OLED.

in post 11 you said all other TV technologies were rubbish compared to OLED.

I said I went to the Leeds shootout and confirmed the plasma won and I've seen them side by side so I can compare them, you can't because your OLED isn't calibrated.

my point to you was re your VT vs LCD because you said all other technologies were rubbish. I was merely stating a fact that your VT was better than any LCD in terms of deep inky blacks. The lcds may be brighter in bright rooms, this that etc etc... It was then when I asked you not to say all other TVs are rubbish compared to your beloved OLED.

To reiterate, I think you have a great TV Gel, a flagship 1080p TV but please stop saying "your dad is bigger than mine.. :)

do you understand?

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:

I said I went to the Leeds shootout and confirmed the plasma won and I've seen them side by side so I can compare them, you can't because your OLED isn't calibrated.

my point to you was re your VT vs LCD because you said all other technologies were rubbish. I was merely stating a fact that your VT was better than any LCD in terms of deep inky blacks. The lcds may be brighter in bright rooms, this that etc etc... It was then when I asked you not to say all other TVs are rubbish compared to your beloved OLED.

To reiterate, I think you have a great TV Gel, a flagship 1080p TV but please stop saying "your dad is bigger than mine.. :)

do you understand?
When I was talking about OLED I was comparing it to LED fact!

I think I understand.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:

do you understand?

I think I understand.

but it's not a fact is it gel because you didn't say that did you; you said compared to all other types of TVs that are rubbish.. Surely you understand these type of comments are going to upset people that don't have the latest OLED and you keep saying on many posts that all other TVs are inferior to your OLED.

you have obviously taken this vey personally...

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:

do you understand?

I think I understand.

but it's not a fact is it gel because you didn't say that did you; you said compared to all other types of TVs that are rubbish.. Surely you understand these type of comments are going to upset people that don't have the latest OLED and you keep saying on many posts that all other TVs are inferior to your OLED.

you have obviously taken this vey personally...
No, not really, I have only now just gone back to see exactly what I did say. *smile*. I can see the confusion now. Oh well...

D

Deleted member 2457

Oh well. Yeah I can see how it looks but when I was comparing I was comparing against cheap plasmas still for sale, cheap LEDs without 4K too and OLEDs. So in that comparison I still stand by my words, but I can see how it has been misinterpreted.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oh and I forget to say sorry for the confusion. *smile*

gel said:
Oh well.  Yeah I can see how it looks but when I was comparing I was comparing against cheap plasmas still for sale, cheap LEDs without 4K too and OLEDs.  So in that comparison I still stand by my words, but I can see how it has been misinterpreted.  
Are plasmas still available??

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Oh well. Yeah I can see how it looks but when I was comparing I was comparing against cheap plasmas still for sale, cheap LEDs without 4K too and OLEDs. So in that comparison I still stand by my words, but I can see how it has been misinterpreted.
Are plasmas still available??
I keep thinking I see them pop up here and there and here is one:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_112&products_id=5388

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
That looks a decent plasma, but for two things - one, it's by LG, so the black levels won't be great and two, the link mentions only Freeview, not Freeview HD, though I accept that it may not have been thought worth mentioning Freeview HD. If anyone were thinking of buying this very-nicely-priced LG they would need to check whether the tuner were Freeview or Freeview HD. If it didn't have Freeview HD that would make it unacceptable to me in 2015 (though my two Pioneer plasmas don't have Freeview HD, they were bought in 2008 and 2009).

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
johnjay said:
Remember also the 1080p OLED TVs came in at six grand until the 200% price drop

Pedant alert - you can't have more than a 100% price drop, in which case the TVs would be free!
The OLED dropped down from £5999 to £3000 which was a 100% price-drop, they ended up going for £1799 which was another 70% or so. So all in all there was almost a £4500 from 6k; A gradual percentage drop & Granted it wasnt all at once but it was an immence price drop that all happened within a few months of going on sale.

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
Son_of_SJ said:
johnjay said:
Remember also the 1080p OLED TVs came in at six grand until the 200% price drop

Pedant alert - you can't have more than a 100% price drop, in which case the TVs would be free!
The OLED dropped down from £5999 to £3000 which was a 100% price-drop, they ended up going for £1799 which was another 70% or so. So all in all there was almost a £4500 from 6k; A gradual percentage drop & Granted it wasnt all at once but it was an immence price drop that all happened within a few months of going on sale.
I got mine for £1800 ex-display and a free LG sound bar and tablet, which I sold for £250. Total price paid £1550!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
johnjay said:
The OLED dropped down from £5999 to £3000 which was a 100% price-drop

No, that was a 50% reduction.

johnjay said:
they ended up going for £1799 which was another 70% or so

No, that's a 40% drop from the discount price, or a further 20% reduction from the original price.

johnjay said:
So all in all there was almost a £4500 from 6k

So a total drop of around 70%: a major drop, agreed, but not 200%. A 200% drop would have meant the buyer being paid £5999 to take the TV away.

Ever thought of going into marketing? ;-)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
just as a quick update on this, i will buy a new screen in the near future but picked up the Humax FVP-4000t to boost my viewing enjoyment and add the free to air hd channels - picture quality is very good on SD and fantastic on HD and an improvement over the built in tuner on the tv, has given the old tv a new lease of life for a while whilst also giving me a very good picture output to my projector.

TRENDING THREADS