65" still too big after five months

Salty

Oct 8, 2022
Visit site
Based on advice and viewing calculators, I purchased a 65"Sony Bravia OLED. I have had the TV for five months now and it still feels too big. 4K looks good (but too big) and letterboxed movies are ok, but everything else is too big and even 1080p doesn't look as sharp as I had expected. I am sitting 8.5''- 9'away from the screen. I suppose it's too late to return the 65", but I am considering getting a 55" because watching TV is not pleasurable currently.

We bought a new LG 55” roughly a year ago, and sit about 2.5 - 3 metres away. That’s similar to your distance, and I think another ten inches might be a bit overpowering.

Usually, I hear folks saying “we soon got used to it”. On our set SD looks crap, and HD is the minimum acceptable. I guess you might feel differently if everything was in 4K?

I can’t imagine many shops accepting a return so late, but they might do you a good deal on a ‘last years’ 55”. Worth asking, surely?

Bruiser

BANNED
Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
I’ve had a 77-inch TV before, could’ve bought a 85-inch but currently have a 50-inch and 42-inch TV and am quite happy with these.

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Think it depends
What you are watching. I’ve got a 77” and am 3.5m away. Watch something in 4K and it’s amazing but watch a crap channel that’s only is sd then its rubbish. Can’t believe we still have sd in this day and age

Reactions: busb

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Think it depends
What you are watching. I’ve got a 77” and am 3.5m away. Watch something in 4K and it’s amazing but watch a crap channel that’s only is sd then its rubbish. Can’t believe we still have sd in this day and age
Thats the big screen achilles heel , unless everything is in 4k there always be a problem of how big the screen should be, before there cracks start to appear Even at 1080P . Users tend to put the TVs on a wall , why a wall ,you may ask ? because the quality of some programs will not be as crisp as it should be. .Remember those rules , the bigger the screen the further you should be ,from it, Until all transmissions are are at least 4k that huge screen tv will always be on that wall . This is not likely going to happen in the next ten years . 99% of all TV transmissions are at 1080P or should be at least. But as soon as watching a program from yester year. They have to transmit the picture in a letter box . Currently only BT Ultra sports, transmit in 5k why ? But there is no limit of what can be transmitted on the "net" 4k and even 8k , is no problem. perhaps it is now time to ditch all those ugly TV aerials now / I myself do not even have a TV aerial at all , and not ever had one here ,for the last 12 years or so . Sky dish ! The real answer is, downloads with a Internet TV . Again there is still a problem unless have super fibre downloads , things will be slowwwwww. I know N etflix and Amazon agree the minimum download speed should be about "30" This assumes that no one in the family house is useing a PC. Which is unlikely to be happening . So we have to make do, with what we have got and that 75 inch plus Tv many programs will look daft on that screen. That soft look . "out of focus" I myself find a 50 inch "perfect" for us here.. Especially we only have a one bedroom flat , with paper walls . Note my laptop is connected to a 50 inch plasma screen

Thats the big screen achilles heel , unless everything is in 4k there always be a problem of how big the screen should be, before there cracks start to appear Even at 1080P . Users tend to put the TVs on a wall , why a wall ,you may ask ? because the quality of some programs will not be as crisp as it should be. .Remember those rules , the bigger the screen the further you should be ,from it, Until all transmissions are are at least 4k that huge screen tv will always be on that wall
Ours isn't on a wall, why on Earth would you say it has to be? And HD looks great - you don't need 4k for things to look perfectly palatable. And you simply adapt to SD - newer stuff looks OK, but something like Blackadder, for example, looks pretty ropy - but then it did on smaller screens too. Doesn't stop me enjoying it either way.

Our internet speeds vary quite a bit, but ever had a problem streaming from Amazon or Netflix despite other users.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
15mps or higher. but that is just for Netflix. does not take into account of any other broadband connections and any losses on the actual connection and how efficient , your TV is handling the download be it through cable or wi fi connection is. So i stick to at least 30 mps My normal fiber connection is around 70mps plus

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
still not a fan of people putting big screens on a wall. Especially if you have a modern house with little brick inside to screw it on too If i put my Plasma on the wall here it would rip off the wall . i gather they only put them on a wall because they are so large . so i would agree 65 is too big unless you want to keep up with the guy next door with his 75 inch Sony costing nearly £3k . Mine bigger than yours attitude.. Well Mr next door my wife is bigger than yours and she is an ex artist model ( that is true she was) But just think before you buy a TV , Cheap one below £400 means you can change it every 3 years or so and expensive one you stuck with it . And often wish that oh well the new models are out and i spent £2k on this. Does not matter how advance that TV is ( Sony) it be out of date in 3/4 years . And how long will that £2k TV last ? maybe 6/ 8 years if very lucky .

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
I have a Hisense QLED 55 inch 4K and I`m about 7 foot away and it`s a struggle to see every full stop ( used as a `puter monitor )

Can`t wait to put the Panasonic LZ2000 77" on the wall - just got a fully adjustable 3 foot reach cantilevered bracket for it.
Good job my wall can handle 43 KG.

Years ago I had a Panasonic Quintrix 32 inch CRT that was 68KG - that thing needed a strong TV cupboard !
Mind you my eyesight has always been a major problem.
It`s a Vision Aid haha !

Bigger tellys are great for when you`re older or have older relatives - they`ll love you !

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
still not a fan of people putting big screens on a wall. Especially if you have a modern house with little brick inside to screw it on too If i put my Plasma on the wall here it would rip off the wall . i gather they only put them on a wall because they are so large .

These are your friends here: https://www.toolstation.com/m6-rigifix-frame-fixing/p96377

Our flat has the same sort of issue - plasterboard over studwork, so our TV would rip off the wall if we used standard fittings.
These consist of an extra long (various available) plastic 'rawlplug' which goes through the board, gap and into the solid outer wall. The ones we got are 90mm long. The plastic sheath isn't the bit that does the work though - there is a hollow steel bolt (a steel 'rawlplug')which screws inside this. THEN you fix your TV mount to the wall with a steel bolt which goes inside this.

Reactions: roaduck

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Thanks a million for the solid metal rawplug bolt link

AndyTake2 - My big Panny only has a tiny 600mm x 400mm bracket ( for a seventy-seven inch telly ) not the bigger VESA 600mm x 800mm bracket mount on the back so these will be ideal and the 3 foot cantilevered bracket will do +- 15 degrees vertically and 180 degrees horizontally and is rated for 60 KG plus so I`m laughing.​

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Yes, everyone has their personal preferences. I have a 75-inch TV at that viewing distance and often feel I should've gone for 85 inches!
100% my friend AND I bought a brand new 92" Projector screen and I cannot wait until I can see it, same distance too, lol.
Thing that is holding me back is that I broke my ankle the other week there so It may still be a while, sigh !

Reactions: bigboss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts