609 - banana plug issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I bought some new banana plugs as the type I am using. They look like this:
4mm-Banana-Plugs-Set-Four.jpg

Coukldn't easily fit the large 6mm speaker cable I was using so I had to reduce it slightly. However, I found these type a few days ago and went for them:

wpe172.jpg

But they seem to be extremely tight or not fit? I don't want to force it so could anyone with knowledge of these wierd type banana plug be able to help me out please?

Cheers.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
hanman,

I have the Onkyo 609 and have fitted banana plugs that are similar to the ones in your first picture and they fit nicely, not too tight and not loose, infact they are a perfect fit...here is a link to the ones i'm using:

http://www.thatcable.com/product/4mm-Banana-Plugs

As long as the plugs are 4mm they should fit nicely but the ones in your second picture look like they are too thin to fit the amps speaker connections, are they 4mm plugs? With regards to your speaker cable you will struggle with the types of banana plugs you have in your pics as the plastic needs to go over the cable for the connection and that sort of plug will only support cable of 5mm or under in most cases.

If you look at the ones i bought you have two ways of connecting the speaker cable, the conventional way from the bottom of the plug or from the side which for you may be the answer as you don't have to feed the speaker cable through the banana plug so it should support your cable size plus they will definately fit the amp, i can assure you of that, and are of good quality.

You need to look a little more carefully at what you are buying, pay a little extra and get proper 4mm plugs with a dual connection like mine or search for 4mm plugs that accept 6mm speaker cable like these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDinterconnects-Professional-speaker-connectors-Bananna/dp/B002N2F1SE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334270456&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Banana-Speaker-Connections-ALL/dp/B0040RZQ3U/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1334270456&sr=8-8

These ones support 7mm speaker cable and are similar to the ones i have, you pay extra for the privelage however!

I noticed after a quick look that my plugs are currently out of stock but a good alternative can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Banana-Speaker-connections-CABLES-ALL/dp/B0029629WK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1334270456&sr=8-5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Gold-Banana-Plugs-4mm-Speaker-connector-amp-8pk-/220802713354?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3368de070a

If it were me i would go for either of the 7mm ones i provided links to and sell the ones you have already purchased on ebay, oh by the way the ones i linked to on ebay (above) are also plugs that support 7mm cable.

Hope all that is of some help to you.

A

Anonymous

They certainly are 4mm and can take the 6mm diameter. I am told they are able to take it with a little force but I am still not completely sure. They are not 'spring' based or something someone else said.

I did see plenty of them screw based ones on ebay but I didn't want the one screw so I bought dual screw to hopefully provide more contact.

If anybody else has seen these types before it would be greatly appreciated.

These are the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-GOLD-4mm-BANANA-PLUGS-6mm-Large-Cable-Entry-Speaker-Cable-Bi-wire-NEW-/290681043816?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item43adf0bb68

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
From the details given on the ebay page it seems that these still have just a one screw connection, is this correct? The only reason i can see that may be causing some issue is the construction of the actual contact of the plug as it has a different construction to a standard plug, a little force may be needed but i wouldn't want to push too hard for fear of damaging either the plug or the amp connections.

A stupid question perhaps but you have removed the inserts in the amp connection haven't you? I seriously doubt that you haven't already done this but it's just one more thing to tick off the list and no offence is meant here.

How hard have you tried to force the plugs in so far?

A

Anonymous

Yes one screw but it allows for solder therefore making it very strong connection (in my mind). Yeah I removed the little plugs that were in it.

Well I felt it was fairly hard enough really but I can't say I applied a lot of pressure. I also asked them on their facebook page just to feel better from more than one source.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Ok sorry i didn't quite see where the double connection came from but you are right a soldered connection should be a little more secure but i must say i'm very happy with the connection on my standard plugs, it's very secure and stands up to forceful tugging of the cable.

All i can say is that my plugs required just a little pressure in order to get them into the amp, try a little more pressure and see how you get on as it seems unlikely that these plugs won't fit the amp as they are 4mm plugs which is the main concern here.

The only other thing that might be causing an issue is if the plugs have been manufactured ever so slightly larger than 4mm which could cause an issue but i think it's unlikely but worth considering?

A

Anonymous

I measured and it is 4mm exactly but obviously bigger when it comes to the spring out part. At the increase in angle is quite strong I thought maybe that is the only reason for it as the 'normal' ones is a slightly better gradiant it seems?

Oh and the double connection came in as that is what I am currently using on the smaller cables which fit perfectly, I would probably have gotten 4mm if I knew about the messing about it would cause but the 6mm was only a tiny bit more expensive and had 200 more strands so I couldn't resist.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm...i hadn't noticed the gradient but yes it does seem to be a bit strong when compared to a normal plug but as they are still a 4mm plug i can't see that really being the issue in all honesty but there might be something in it you never know, have you checked the amp connection?

What i mean is have you shined a light into the amp connection to see if it's a straight level connection (as i would expect) just to make sure that there isn't any type of gradient in the amp connection, just a thought and probably a dead end as i would have thought the amp would have a standard 4mm connection.

I find it very strange indeed that these plugs don't just connect as easily as mine, it's a little baffling isn't it as all the images and description on the ebay site point towards these plugs fitting a standard 4mm connection. The only thing that i did notice on the site was that it mentions the plugs are compatible with Arcam, Linn and Quad (plus other good quality audio products) so perhaps this points to a slightly different connection on these manufacturers products? That would then explain the issues you are having with the plugs and the 609, perhaps worth a little research?

I wish i could be of more help to you.

A

Anonymous

Wohoo! They do work. The seller did tell me to try and use pliers to just give it a little squeese. It seems to be now more better now, perhaps they were just a bit tough and the spring part didn't want to go in properly.

SORTED :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts