$5000 to spend on speakers with Hegel amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Damping factor is variable depending on frequency, so any specs in this regard are pretty meaningless. Unless of course listening to a test tone the same as the damping factor was measured at... :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Shafin,

In this price range, I would also consider Audiovector. Provided you can demo them, obviously.

A pair of Si1 Avantgardes are easily within budget (the sweet spot in the range, IMO); a very well balanced proposition: detailed, but not edgy; excellent transient response; very 'airy' too. I demoed them with my Devialet (in the pre-SAM era) and I think a Hegel will match them just as well.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
Damping factor is variable depending on frequency, so any specs in this regard are pretty meaningless. Unless of course listening to a test tone the same as the damping factor was measured at... :)

I am of course no Engineer, still ...

... Damping factor is indirectly but firmly linked to output impedance. The speaker, the cables play their part.

Many valve amplifiers have relatively high output impedance (Low DF) which means possible frequency deviations with load. I am generalising here. Not all Valve amplifiers are the same.

Take the Schmegel on the other hand, it has infinite (for what it matters) DF and very low output impedance. Its response is predictable and uniform with no or hardly any changes to its frequency response into differing loads.

So, as far as I understand it, it does matter and matters greatly.

On the other hand, just because something measures 'better' ie. Low output impedance/high DF doesn't imho necessarily mean it sounds better.

Like I said and most of you know, Naim deliberately engineer their AB amps with a low (15 to 20) DF amongst other things to get that typical Naim sound and many love it.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Shafin i had only one recommendation it cost around 5 000 dollars (+ the stand that you can buy latter if you want)

only one recommendation to you my friend a very good recommendation and that is:

DYNAUDIO CONTOUR 20 *give_rose* { I LOVE THAT SINGLE WIRE STUFFF YESS:

contour_20_white_oak_satin_back.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1XMw5XgC9g

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Electro said:
If we're waving willies then my Electrocompaniet Mono's have a damping factor of 1000 *good* *i-m_so_happy* .

Hi Electro

You're waving 920 times more than you ideally need to *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

It's alright I'll stop before I go blind. *biggrin*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Electro said:
If we're waving willies then my Electrocompaniet Mono's have a damping factor of 1000 *good* *i-m_so_happy* .

Hi Electro

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

... which is probably what happened to whoever was in charge of design at Hegel.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Electro said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Electro said:

Hi Electro

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

... which is probably what happened to whoever was in charge of design at Hegel.

Very good haha

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
Electro said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Electro said:

Hi Electro

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Very good haha

Ah, I dont really mean it. I hope Shafesk is finding speakers that do his new amp justice.

gasolin

excuse me but why are you constantly talking about damping factor ?

Topic: $5000 to spend on speakers with Hegel amp

Why aren't you talking about speakers for the hegel H300 amp op has, instead of damping factor all the time?

Should you buy speakers based on damping factor?

Help op shafesk to narrow it down to a few speakers he should listen to that matches the sound the hegel H300 has

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:

Topic: $5000 to spend on speakers with Hegel amp

Why aren't you talking about speakers for the hegel H300 amp op has, instead of damping factor all the time?

Help op shafesk to narrow it down to a few speakers he should listen to that matches the sound the hegel H300 has

We did ... then we got carried away :)

drummerman said:
gasolin said:

Topic: $5000 to spend on speakers with Hegel amp

We did ... then we got carried away :)

What do you mean, we?? :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
gasolin said:
you talk to much about damping factor

Apologies. I don't know anything about £5k speakers ... willy waving on the other...

Back to Shafesk.

Back to the op request if the willy waving has not chased him away.

Its personal but best speakers imo that ive heard on my hegel h360 are Atc scm19 and scm40s.
Out of your price budget but scm50s passive would blow you away.

I own scm11s but have heard my amp with clone scm100s and its the best ive heard.

Word of warning though. They make good recording sound great and great recordings even better but will show up bad recordings for what they are.

Electro said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Electro said:

Hi Electro

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Electro

Nice one
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
Electro said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Electro said:

Hi Electro

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Very good haha

Ah, I dont really mean it.

Hi drummerman

Naughty but nice
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts