• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

$5000 to spend on speakers with Hegel amp

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
Dear all,

Been a while since I've posted, I hope everyone is doing well. I recently got a Hegel H300 which is a great amplifier, I have almost nothing to complain except that my Cayin amp sounds a tad sweeter and maybe even more realistic but I agree the Hegel has more of everything than the Cayin in every other department. I may be biased here because I prefer how tubes sound. I am playing the Hegel with my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's and while they are great speakers which have given me years of faithful service, I do think that playing an amp of this caliber with speakers in this price range is a bit unfair to the amplifier. I am therefore wondering what speaker I can get to pair with this amp. My preference for sound is not absolute accuracy but I have to be able to believe I am almost hearing a live performance. I am a sucker for a good midrange, bass I can live with or withour and treble should be smooth. Something like a Harbeth HL5 is on my mind but how will it pair with the Hegel?

Thanks,

Shafin
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
shafesk said:
Dear all,

Been a while since I've posted, I hope everyone is doing well. I recently got a Hegel H300 which is a great amplifier, I have almost nothing to complain except that my Cayin amp sounds a tad sweeter and maybe even more realistic but I agree the Hegel has more of everything than the Cayin in every other department. I may be biased here because I prefer how tubes sound. I am playing the Hegel with my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's and while they are great speakers which have given me years of faithful service, I do think that playing an amp of this caliber with speakers in this price range is a bit unfair to the amplifier. I am therefore wondering what speaker I can get to pair with this amp. My preference for sound is not absolute accuracy but I have to be able to believe I am almost hearing a live performance. I am a sucker for a good midrange, bass I can live with or withour and treble should be smooth.  Something like a Harbeth HL5 is on my mind but how will it pair with the Hegel?

Thanks,

Shafin
Ive never heard harberh but i know how hegel sounds.
Imo from what ive read about harbeth that should be a good match and effortless delivery. But youll have to audition for yourself.
 

Al ears

Moderator
seemorebtts said:
I maybe a little out of my league here but I think you just described the sonus faber venere s.
If available within the OP's budget, and they may just be in basic finish, these would definitely be worth an audition. I notice nothing was said about room size so not sure if he's looking only at standmounts.
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
2
18,545
shafesk said:
Dear all,

Been a while since I've posted, I hope everyone is doing well. I recently got a Hegel H300 which is a great amplifier, I have almost nothing to complain except that my Cayin amp sounds a tad sweeter and maybe even more realistic but I agree the Hegel has more of everything than the Cayin in every other department. I may be biased here because I prefer how tubes sound. I am playing the Hegel with my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's and while they are great speakers which have given me years of faithful service, I do think that playing an amp of this caliber with speakers in this price range is a bit unfair to the amplifier. I am therefore wondering what speaker I can get to pair with this amp. My preference for sound is not absolute accuracy but I have to be able to believe I am almost hearing a live performance. I am a sucker for a good midrange, bass I can live with or withour and treble should be smooth. Something like a Harbeth HL5 is on my mind but how will it pair with the Hegel?

Thanks,

Shafin
You should be able to find a pair of the recently discontinued PMC Twenty 26's in your price range which will do exactly what you asked for and quite a bit more especially with an amp like your Hegel, prepare to be stunned. *smile*

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/pmc-speakers/pmc-twenty-26-speakers-2216651-411411-834790.php

http://www.whathifi.com/pmc/twenty-26/review
 

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
Thank you for all the suggestions, you guys have given me a lot to research :) .My room is a largish living room/bedroom, I can get away with a large bookshelf or medium sized floorstanders in here
 

avole

New member
Jul 15, 2016
17
0
0
not mentioned a lot here, but they're a more rounded speaker than the ATCs and PMCs. Otherwise the classic SF speakers.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
shafesk said:
Dear all,

Been a while since I've posted, I hope everyone is doing well. I recently got a Hegel H300 which is a great amplifier, I have almost nothing to complain except that my Cayin amp sounds a tad sweeter and maybe even more realistic but I agree the Hegel has more of everything than the Cayin in every other department. I may be biased here because I prefer how tubes sound. I am playing the Hegel with my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's and while they are great speakers which have given me years of faithful service, I do think that playing an amp of this caliber with speakers in this price range is a bit unfair to the amplifier. I am therefore wondering what speaker I can get to pair with this amp. My preference for sound is not absolute accuracy but I have to be able to believe I am almost hearing a live performance. I am a sucker for a good midrange, bass I can live with or withour and treble should be smooth. Something like a Harbeth HL5 is on my mind but how will it pair with the Hegel?

Thanks,

Shafin
As I was reading your post, Harbeth was the first speaker to spring to mind... if you could afford the SHL5+ all the better. They are renowned for their mid range and the treble is sweet, great with any genre.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

drummerman

New member
Jan 18, 2008
540
1
0
That thing will drive pretty much anything.

You mention sweetness which it seems to lack compared to your valve amplifier. The Hegel has very high (quoted) damping factor of 2000 ie. infinite which is pretty much nonsense afaik as anything above 80 to a 100 is pretty much grabbing the drivers by the neck anyhow but if you go with an overdamped speaker things may become somewhat unpleasant.

Something which adds a little bit of its own warmth and musicality as the Hegel doesn't seem do that would probably be a good choice.

There were already some suggestions which make sense imho.

I'll add Spendors BC1, in black, on custom stands.
 

Al ears

Moderator
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi drummerman

Now be nice please *biggrin*

Anyway, the H300 has a damping factor of 1000. Hegel Music Systems new ROST has a damping factor of 2000 and the H360 at 4000

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Nice to know Rick.... but how does this help OP withhold question?
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
174
53
18,670
Harbeth were using a borrowed Hegel to demo their speakers at last year's Bristol show, and the combination sounded great.

IIRC Hegel themselves were playing KEF Ref 1s, which sounded more impressive, but to my ears less natural.

PS. Nice to see you again, Shafesk!
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi drummerman

Now be nice please *biggrin*

Anyway, the H300 has a damping factor of 1000. Hegel Music Systems new ROST has a damping factor of 2000 and the H360 at 4000

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Nice to know Rick.... but how does this help OP withhold question?
Hi Al ears

Just clarifying the numbers for drummerman


All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

drummerman

New member
Jan 18, 2008
540
1
0
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi drummerman

Now be nice please *biggrin*

Anyway, the H300 has a damping factor of 1000. Hegel Music Systems new ROST has a damping factor of 2000 and the H360 at 4000 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Nice to know Rick.... but how does this help OP withhold question?
Hi Al ears

Just clarifying the numbers for drummerman 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Anything above about 80 is theoretical and of no consequence in real use. Hegel marketing :)
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Electro said:
If we're waving willies then my Electrocompaniet Mono's have a damping factor of 1000 *good* *i-m_so_happy* .
We are not waving willies but merely explaining why our willies are waving.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi drummerman

Now be nice please *biggrin*

Anyway, the H300 has a damping factor of 1000. Hegel Music Systems new ROST has a damping factor of 2000 and the H360 at 4000 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Nice to know Rick.... but how does this help OP withhold question?
Hi Al ears

Just clarifying the numbers for drummerman 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Anything above about 80 is theoretical and of no consequence in real use. Hegel marketing :)
Hi drummerman

I respect you know what your talking about and yes the high damping factor of 4000 (h360) is boasting for market purpose to a certain extent...

But i feel i need to share this with you.

I feel in this case the word 'damping' is the stumbling block here for you.

I feel that the word damping is conjouring up an image in your head as to think how it effects the sound quality. There are so many in hifi about like all metal tweeters sound metalic.

Imo you can have too much damping factor. It wont affect the sound quality in a negitive way or 'dampen' the sound, like the picture the word puts in your head.

Think of it like a strong man with a strength of 4000 asked it lift a weight of 10kg. Hes just going to do it with more ease and control than the strongman with a stength of 80? Now in turn the 4000 strong man puts the weight back down to the ground with great control and not just thrown down to bounce on the floor buy like the lower damping factor strongman.

Also the high damping factor is not constant and goes up and down with the load of the speakers. It just helps take away all the added fuss, tizz and boom away from the sound comming out of the speakers so you only hear whats intended with min distortion. Something i witnessed recently at frank harvey while doing atc demos with cyrus dual mono amps.

Hope this makes sense
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi drummerman

Now be nice please *biggrin*

Anyway, the H300 has a damping factor of 1000. Hegel Music Systems new ROST has a damping factor of 2000 and the H360 at 4000

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Nice to know Rick.... but how does this help OP withhold question?
Hi Al ears

Just clarifying the numbers for drummerman

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Anything above about 80 is theoretical and of no consequence in real use. Hegel marketing :)
Hi drummerman

Nothing matters *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts