40/42 inch TV help - thinking of Samsung UE40ES6710

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a new 40 or 42 inch TV to replace my current aging Toshiba 32 inch.

I've seen this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-40-inch-UE40ES6710-Widescreen-Built-/dp/B007JURGNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357035346&sr=1-1 - which I can get for £584 with a 5-year guarantee at my local Currys (due to staff discount), but I wanted to get your opinion about it.

I'm not too fussed by online content as I have an XBox plugged in, and 3D isn't something that's important to me. Watching football will be, so good motion handling (refresh rate?) is important, and the Samsung has 400Mhz, compared to others I've seen that have 50.

If anyone else can give their opinion about this TV or recommend alternatives, that'd be great.

Thanks,

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
My tv is quite similar to that one and I bought it online at a discount price. Although it's a great tv in some respects, this is what I would do differently, in case of buying a new tv:

1 see it in real live with my own blu-ray player and some test discs.

2 make an arrangement with the seller that I can trade in when my set has bright uneven backlight that bothers me. My tv has one bright spot that sometimes bothers me. For the rest the picture has great depth and natural colours. Except for low light, dark scenes, which seem to have a blue-ish hue.

3 accept the fact that above requirements will cost me some extra money compared to online prices.

4 buy a 2nd hand BT MCU and connect both tv and blu-ray; makes a substantial difference in my home.

A final note: compare plasma against lcd. There are some great deals on plasma and the type of picture might suit you better.

Don't worry too much about the 400MHz advert. That is artificial motion processing which can bring its own artefacts. Whichever TV you buy, turn all artificial processing off for the most natural picture. As mentioned, a plasma may suit your needs well due to it's inherently better refresh rates without artificial processing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts