37inch suggestions- scarce choices...Sony or other? Help?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Decided that max size I can get is 37inch, without being lynched by the better half, and looking for a full HD option for the near future to take advantage of sd, V+ box, x360 and blu ray.

I was tempted by the Sony 32W400......but no option for 37inch re this

Will the new Sony models out this year include a 37 inch option? If not welcome any other suggestions for a £800-£800 budget max.

I dont understand why there is such a gap with loads of 32inches and then 40 upwards....surely UK livingrooms would demand a 37inch option rather than the drought seen

(Was considering a philips 37pfl9603 but these seem too expensive especially with a long warranty)..any other options?

Thanks

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the panasonic px80b is worth a look, tho it is the outgoing model (which means if you find oen at all it might be cheap...). Id wait until panny release their new ones, but then im an unashamed fan-boy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matthew...the Sony sounds like it will be a probable option since it will fit my spec criteria. (full HD)

Hope it delivers in review terms as well as the W400 has done. I will wait until this is out and compare vs the Philips 37pfl9603 and Panasonic LZD85

Still have 2 issues generally

1) Dont get the reluctance of 37inch output by manufacturers especially since most home users should be looking at 32inch or 37inch option

2) Why do Sony and Panasonic make such conservative looking tvs.......my first choice aesthetically would be the the Philips with ambilight gimmicks....but put off by much higher prices and what sounds like very complex set ups!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gavin C: 1) Dont get the reluctance of 37inch output by manufacturers especially since most home users should be looking at 32inch or 37inch option

Should they indeed? Why's that then? The only thing I think people "should" be doing is making their own minds up. Anyway according to the figures Clare gives in her recent blog most people ARE buying 32" sets and 37-42" is the fastest growing sector.

You might also want to bear in mind that the manufacturers aren't sitting in their offices in Japan thinking "hmm, I wonder what the UK wants this year?" We're a small market, compared to Europe, the States and Asia, we get stuff that is slightly tweaked from other markets but I don't think we get anything specifically made for our market, so if 37" isn't popular with the rest of the world, you won't find too many of them here.

2) Why do Sony and Panasonic make such conservative looking tvs.......my first choice aesthetically would be the the Philips with ambilight gimmicks....but put off by much higher prices and what sounds like very complex set ups!

So let me get this right, you WANT gimmicks? Interesting... As to why the others make "conservative" looking TVs, well, because that's what sells!

I was in Currys a couple of years back when the new Samsung models were out (the one with the big single leg stand, can't remember the model), and this couple were looking at TVs (I hesitate to use the word "yuppies" because it's somewhat out of date, but it applies to these two), the salesdroid asked them what their budget was, "about 2.5k" came the reply, "these new Samsungs are very good" the droid told them, "Nah," replied the bloke, "we don't like the little blue light on the front".

Scream? I nearly caved the back of his head in with the nearest DVD player, un-$%^£&-ing believable, you're going to spend 2 and half THOUSAND pounds on a TV and you don't even care what the picture looks like, all you care about is a small light surrounding the standby switch?

Ahem, but anyway, my point is, nice design details aren't much liked by the general public, so TVs are "conservative" looking, because that's what sells.

A

Anonymous

I agree that 'gimmicks' are way down the check list and first priority should always be does the set deliver what it needs to for the budget at hand. Since I'm in the selling game myself I know that numbers out the door are more crucial than looks ....just that I do like the toys on occasion....and actually most people do similarly as number of HD tvs out there are in excess of people watching HD content. If this wasnt the case we'd all have CRTs still!

On size its always peoples own choice and volume of 32inchers show the size of most UK households, so my point is driven by the fact that I would expect more 37s than 40s than 50s etc

On the size I do think people should make up own mind but there

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Personally I see the 37" sets in a sort of no-mans land as they are priced almost identically to that of the 40" model LCD's which in turn then become more atractive to the masses as why not have those extra 3" inches for "free" ?
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Thought about the Pioneer KRL-37V? Around £900 now (£1500 was too expensive to start with).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gavin C: On size its always peoples own choice and volume of 32inchers show the size of most UK households, so my point is driven by the fact that I would expect more 37s than 40s than 50s etc

And there are more 37-40" sets than 50" ones, there's a big perceived difference between a 40" set and a 50" one in most people's eyes, however the difference between a 37 and a 40 is, arguably, negligable. I think most people looking for a 37" set would happily accept a 40" one if offered to them at the same price, or close to it, whereas they wouldn't take a 50" set for similar money, feeling it to be "too big" (which is obviously arrant nonsense of course, how can any TV be too big?!).

Since I'm in the selling game myself I know that numbers out the door
are more crucial than looks ....just that I do like the toys on
occasion....and actually most people do similarly as number of HD tvs
out there are in excess of people watching HD content. If this wasnt
the case we'd all have CRTs still!

Not sure that's entirely true, in terms of your conclusion that is, you're correct that there are more HD TVs than people watching HD certainly (my mum and dad! Who, coincidentally, have a 37" Panasonic plasma, it's not FullHD though), however I believe a recent study showed that, of the people with HDTVs but no HD source, the majority of them didn't even realise they weren't watching HD pictures! A lot of people are assuming that simply because they have an HDTV that they ARE watching HD pictures (I had to explain this to my own parents as it happens, they couldn't get their heads around the idea that you need HD broadcasts as well as an HD set. Didn't matter though, they needed a new TV and Dad wanted something bigger than 32" and the 5 year Panasonic warranty swung the deal), so it's that mis-belief, rather than the desire for "toys" that's driving a lot of sales.

I suspect the reverse will be true as well, with SkyHD coming down to £49 I can well see a lot of people without HDTVs wondering why their new SkyHD looks no different to Sky+.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:3 new full HD, 1080p 37" LCDs (including a 37W5500) on the way from Sony. Look out during March and April.

That`s good news. Last I looked there weren`t any new 37" from Sony on the horizon.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
You shouldn't forget the new Pana models either out later this months or early next month.

I am not sure about the UK market, but at least in Denmark you will be able to get the X1 in 37 inches.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:

Scream? I nearly caved the back of his head in with the nearest DVD player, un-$%^£&-ing believable, you're going to spend 2 and half THOUSAND pounds on a TV and you don't even care what the picture looks like, all you care about is a small light surrounding the standby switch?

Massively extreme reaction imo. if i was spending taht much id be very peeved if some berk had stuck a great big blue light on it. its a tv. not a panda car.

And, did the guy actually start his sentence with the words "well, i dont care what the picture's like but..."...?

A

Anonymous

Correct me if I'm wrong but sales person could have pointed out that the light can be turned off in the set up menus.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:the_lhc: Scream? I nearly caved the back of his head in with the nearest DVD player, un-$%^£&-ing believable, you're going to spend 2 and half THOUSAND pounds on a TV and you don't even care what the picture looks like, all you care about is a small light surrounding the standby switch?

Massively extreme reaction imo.

Yes, because I WAS actually being serious at that point!

if i was spending taht much id be very peeved if some berk had stuck a great big blue light on it. its a tv. not a panda car.

Now who's over-reacting? As I've said, it's not a "big blue light", it's a small led light that surrounds the standby switch.

And, did the guy actually start his sentence with the words "well, i dont care what the picture's like but..."...?

No, that's my point, at no point did they ever mention the picture quality of ANY of the sets they looked at! I just can't understand how anyone could spend that sort of money and never consider the idea that they'd be spending all their time looking at the pictures on the screen, rather than the surrounding plastic, but that's exactly what they were doing!

Which proves the point that most people won't buy TVs that have anything in the way of "design" about them.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:No, that's my point, at no point did they ever mention the picture quality of ANY of the sets they looked at! I just can't understand how anyone could spend that sort of money and never consider the idea that they'd be spending all their time looking at the pictures on the screen, rather than the surrounding plastic, but that's exactly what they were doing!

How do you know that? You do'nt. You have no basis on which to say they didnt consider pic quality at all.

if somehting had something aesthetic about it that stood out like a sore thumb to me, i woulnt buy it, id look for an alternative which looked better and still had a decent picture. if such a thing didnt exist, id wait.

looks do matter to some. some like lights, some do'nt. i dont, and am happy with my boring px80b, without sirens.

of course, it helps that its a better telly than the ones with whistles n bells...
emotion-5.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
AC Milan:Correct me if I'm wrong but sales person could have pointed out that the light can be turned off in the set up menus.

As someone had to point out to me with panny BDPs.

dont take the "blu" too literally please, manufacturers!

emotion-17.gif
and we wonder why some dont take us AV enthusiasts seriously...

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I quite like the samsung tv's & the blue light especialy the F86 thats a lovely looking model, i very nearly bought the panasonic pz85 i thought it was a lovely looking set, & when i first saw the pz81 i thought that is so ugly no way in the world would i consider it, now look what i've got a pz81 for the freesat & the extra bells & whistles.

A

Anonymous

As of Sunday I have a Pioneer KDL-37V sitting in my living room, and I have to say that the picture is stunnng, both with SD fromthe inbuilt freeview tuner and with HD from my PS3. Highly recommended, especially at the new £900 mark. I can't recommend it enough!

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all those that gave me suggestions and reasonably tempered feedback

People choose products for a whole variety of reasons and sometimes (like supporting certain football teams) it is not rational otherwise I wouldnt be considering ditching my absolutelt fine CRT for a first step into LCD land and want to get it right so hopefully not to make another purchase for another few years

Did see the Pioneer the other day and thought it looked good...did try and get some user feedback on this so thanks. An additional thing that attracted me was its relative low width......as I know 37inch is definitely at my upper size limit

Definitely have more options now that Ive asked this and trawled the forum

Cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
the_lhc:No, that's my point, at no point did they ever mention the picture quality of ANY of the sets they looked at! I just can't understand how anyone could spend that sort of money and never consider the idea that they'd be spending all their time looking at the pictures on the screen, rather than the surrounding plastic, but that's exactly what they were doing!

How do you know that? You do'nt. You have no basis on which to say they didnt consider pic quality at all.

Excuse me? I was already standing in the TV section when they arrived, and I overheard the entire conversation they had with the salesdroid until they left and not once was picture quality even mentioned, furthermore it was clear that they knew nothing about any of the TVs that were for sale, so it's pretty simple to extrapolate from that that they didn't know what any of the sets were like in terms of picture quality.

Next time you're going to accuse me of being a liar, get your facts straight, I was there, you weren't, so I've got a damn sight more "basis" for what I'm saying than you have.

A

Anonymous

Getting back on topic. What's wrong with the Best Buy 37" on this site. Panasonic TH-37PX80??

I know the OP wanted 1080p but at this size it's debatable whether there is any benefit at all of full HD.

Definitely worth a look at and think of the money you could save
emotion-21.gif

Replacement 2009 model due out in a couple of weeks: better sound, better contrast, around £599 on web sites already (TX-P37X10 model)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat: Guys, you do realise you are arguing about the mindset and opinions of some people you don't even know, don't you?

Yes.

But at least I'm arguing from a viewpoint based on at least partial fact, ie, I was there, so to be told I'm talking sloblocks is irritating, to say the least.

A

Anonymous

al7478:TKratz:You shouldn't forget the new Pana models either out later this months or early next month.

Quite. Thanks for noticing
emotion-5.gif

Was looking at these too, guessing the cost won't be cheap when they first come out. The P37X10 according to the pany site doesn't have much diff to the old one except (here's hoping this is the upgrade to the x80, not the x8 but i doubt it) (have compared it to the x80):
  • G12 panel rather than g11
  • More pc signal handling (which is quite handy if you intend to plug in a pc to it)
  • Contrast ratio 20,000:1 (up from 15,000:1) , also supports Dynamic 2,000,000:1 which isn't mentioned in the old one
  • HDMI no specifies v1.3, but one hdmi of the 3 is on the side rather than all 3 on the rear before
  • the ports currently round the front appear to have moved to the side which is a bit cleaner
  • upgraded Vierra Link (4 from 3)
  • Game mode (might be interesting if it handles screen burn better)
  • physically larger, plus potentially lower power consumption but by only 5w so ignorable
Overall sounds promising. going to check out the x80 this weekend but will probably hold out for the new one unless it's appearance drops the old one to a bargain amount. Luckily i'm not in a rush to get one, haven't had a tv for over a year so far so not too desparate just yet....

ps shame bullets don't render like they claim to on here but you get the general idea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts