3.5mm to rca

Knight1543

May 12, 2022
Visit site
I’ve just got a great deal on a chord mojo 2, now here goes :-

everyone please be honest do audio quest cables at £80 for a 5m cable really improve my listening experience compared to my Amazon basics?

Rega brio
dali Oberon 5’s
ipad pro
chord mojo 2
qobuz

everyone please play nice, I’m new to this

many thanks

Gray

I’ve just got a great deal on a chord mojo 2, now here goes :-

everyone please be honest do audio quest cables at £80 for a 5m cable really improve my listening experience compared to my Amazon basics?

Rega brio
dali Oberon 5’s
ipad pro
chord mojo 2
qobuz

everyone please play nice, I’m new to this

many thanks
If your basic cable uses oxygen-free copper, is well screened, with decent, gold plated connectors - most people would hear no difference whatsoever.

(After paying £80, some people would perceive a difference though, that's for sure).

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

record_spot

Just got a Fisual Studio Pro (their entry level option) for my Arylic S10 to Linn Kolektor amp. Works a treat and sounds great. Less than a tenner. I just needed a 0.3m cable, but you should be able to get a longer run for about £15. Have a look at av.com for info.

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
As Gray notes above, any decent copper cable that is screened will do nicely. Definitely try before you buy if you can.

At 5m long cable that is really cheap/poor quality (with low quality copper/small cross sectional cables will likely degrade the signal but no cable, even one made of gold will improve the signal from the amp. That would be defying the laws of physics!

Knight1543

May 12, 2022
Visit site
Fortunately my wife is a smoker, she wastes money on cigarettes, I buy hifi gear, thank goodness for Amazon return policy, I’m going to give them a try, as this mojo 2 has blown me away, and I’m sure cables are better than streaming, this way I can adjust the eq , thankfully I’m not colour blind, I really appreciate all your replies. God Save the King

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I’m sure cables are better than streaming, this way I can adjust the eq
I don't fully understand what you've said there.
If you mean connecting two devices together by cable, rather than a wireless method, then yes, I think everyone would say that's better.

When you say, 'this way I can adjust the eq',
in what way? Do you mean by using the cable itself to alter the tonal balance of the sound?
i.e. different cable, different tone?

I don't fully understand what you've said there.
If you mean connecting two devices together by cable, rather than a wireless method, then yes, I think everyone would say that's better.

When you say, 'this way I can adjust the eq',
in what way? Do you mean by using the cable itself to alter the tonal balance of the sound?
i.e. different cable, different tone?
I certainly hope that is not what he is suggesting because he may end up a tad disappointed if he does.....

Reactions: Gray

Knight1543

May 12, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for confirming that cables are better than streaming, yes I can adjust the eq (type) settings with the mojo 2, I have to say I’m very impressed with the device as I never had a mojo , I’d be amazed to hear what the more expensive Dacs from chord sound like.

doifeellucky

I think you’re saying streaming when you mean wireless.

On a side note I own the Mojo 2 and personally think it is over hyped. I hear no audible difference compared to the DAC in my CXA60 or Zen DAC V2. Using hires and my Edition XS headphones, or Dali speakers, other than the benefits of the EQ I hear no difference. For me the crossfeed does absolutely nothing. Perhaps I have a faulty unit.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

I’d be amazed to hear what the more expensive Dacs from chord sound like.
I'd hope to be amazed by a DAC that costs, what, £8,000 doesn't it?
....I can't imagine how much better it could be than what most of us are using 🤨

(There was that test where a panel of listeners compared music played via a £20 and a £2,000 DAC, where none of them could reliably tell the difference.
You can bet that it was a blind test.....otherwise the 100x more expensive one is certain to have won 🤔).

Reactions: Knight1543

Knight1543

May 12, 2022
Visit site
I hear you, and I’ve done the swapping of cartridges trying to convince myself that the more expensive one sounds better than my £50 one, however the mojo immediately made me go wow compared to my apple dongle , it’s british made and easy to move from my system to my headphones upstairs, obviously there the law of diminishing returns but as Darko said we shouldn’t be jealous of people who can afford gear we can only dream of, but if I’m swapping an £80 cable with my £9 one unable to hear any major difference, it’s going back. I also use my family members when it comes to blind testing, very handy, I’m just trying to get the best performance I can out of my systems.

Reactions: Gray

Knight1543

May 12, 2022
Visit site
I think you’re saying streaming when you mean wireless.

On a side note I own the Mojo 2 and personally think it is over hyped. I hear no audible difference compared to the DAC in my CXA60 or Zen DAC V2. Using hires and my Edition XS headphones, or Dali speakers, other than the benefits of the EQ I hear no difference. For me the crossfeed does absolutely nothing. Perhaps I have a faulty unit.
Just out of interest, which Dali speakers do you have?

Dom

I just watched a video review about the AudioQuest 1200 power conditioner. This guy spent $2000 for it and a power cable, he said there was a slight difference in sound quality. SMH.
To be fair he spent $30-40,000 for his system, so you could argue that 1) his system filters well and 2) spending $2000 for an over current protection device is a valid one and I respect that.

So, a double-blind test is needed there.

Last edited:

Knight1543

May 12, 2022
Visit site
Dom, you’re right, if someone spends tens of thousands on kit, it makes sense that they would spend big on cables, I’ve seen a YouTube video on a guy from Japan who went as far as paying the electric company to install a purpose built supply for his system, that said I’ve seen a guy from Japan who spent so much on a pair of speakers, they were so big he couldn’t open his fridge door in his flat in Tokyo, what a waste.

my rationale is, I could spend £240 on a dragonfly cobalt (bearing in mind Darko must get paid a kings ransom they way he pushes their usb Dacs) yet I spent £360 on a mojo 2 , Amazon refurbished (brand new) so my logic is a usb dac from America for £240 or spend £120 more and own a british Made unit that has a variety of applications and sounds amazing compared to the apple dongle , and if I choose re sell on eBay for minimal depreciation , as I do with my records, the mojo 2 involves me in the listening experience, plus I get 3 month free Qobuz, which brings me to another question, surely chord went with Qobuz as it’s not mqa, again with Darko I agree people get hung up on numbers wrt streaming, it’s the recordings that count. Have a great weekend 👌

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts