2nd hand vinyl prices..

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
.. are getting ridiculous on Ebay. I've been following a couple of copies of The Groundhogs "Thank Christ For The Bomb" LP. I own an original copy from 1970 but it's in awful condition, it plays, but not great and it does detract from my enjoyment of it. I thought I'd try and buy a replacement but I'm buggered if I'm paying £25 plus P & P for the privelege. I should have done it a couple of years ago when they were going for about £5-£7.50. I think a lot of people are cashing in now.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi DIB

You're talking about an original blue Liberty 'Thank Christ For The Bomb' for £25? You want to bite their hands off!! This easily tops £100 on auction. You may get a reissue on Liberty black label for £25 and that's about right.. Look on popsike if you don't think I'm telling it like it is.

Mint copies of 60'sand early 70's records are rising;VG copies are losing some of their value. I don't mind VG copies but I'm not the market. The big boys want Mint and will pay for them.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree. There is a second-hand shop in my town. A couple of years ago most vinyl stock was about £5, went there recently and now they charge £10 unless it's very knackered.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
On an auction site surely they can only cash-in if someone's prepared to pay an OTT price.

But are they OTT? Relative to when they were released, albums are, or can be, quite reasonable. I suppose we tend to compare to the price of CD's?

DIB, I mentioned it in the 'listening' thread, but maybe you missed it? Have you heard 'Then Play On' by Fleetwood Mac? There's a re-issue on Discogs, here

All I can say is, it's brilliant :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
MajorFubar said:
On an auction site surely they can only cash-in if someone's prepared to pay an OTT price.

But are they OTT? Relative to when they were released, albums are, or can be, quite reasonable. I suppose we tend to compare to the price of CD's?

DIB, I mentioned it in the 'listening' thread, but maybe you missed it? Have you heard 'Then Play On' by Fleetwood Mac? There's a re-issue on Discogs, here

All I can say is, it's brilliant :)

Oh yes, I have heard it, like it, but don't own it.

This is the one for me..

001b2069_medium.jpeg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi DIB

You're talking about an original blue Liberty 'Thank Christ For The Bomb' for £25? You want to bite their hands off!! This easily tops £100 on auction. You may get a reissue on Liberty black label for £25 and that's about right.. Look on popsike if you don't think I'm telling it like it is.

Mint copies of 60'sand early 70's records are rising;VG copies are losing some of their value. I don't mind VG copies but I'm not the market. The big boys want Mint and will pay for them.

That's interesting. It was a blue Liberty copy, rather than the black label that I own. Maybe it was a bargain for someone, not me I'm afraid. I just wanted a better condition copy rather than a collectable item. I'll keep looking, though it's not exactly top of my list of priorities. I do own a copy and also the re-mastered CD which is ace. I love the Groundhogs, and as a spotty teenager Tony McPhee was always my guitar hero, rather than the usual suspects (ie EC,JH,JP etc). I was playing my Hogwash CD in the van today, and 40 years on it still astounds me how good it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts