2M Red Hype

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm slowly but surely souring on this thing... Why's it so hyped? It's a great cartridge to come pre-fitted on a table, but I can't ever see myself buying it. The Blue maybe, but the Red? No way.

It's completely vacant on the low end, and treble just gets cut to ribbons through it. Imaging is okay, noise isn't bad, but nowhere near as low as reviews place it. What should I do? I want a smooth, smooth cart that'll deliver dynamic range and cut out record noise. Does anyone have experience with either the Kontrapunkt A or Rondo Series??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can't sensibly answer the question as I do not recognise the cartridge you have described as the same one that I use.

(You have pretty well described the Rega Bias 2 that my 2M Red replaced apart from the imaging of which the Bias posessed precisely none.)

If you want to compare it with a £500 Kontrapunkt A moving coil then I guess your expectations far outstrip the capabilities of a £65 MM.

I spent a good deal of care ensuring the correct alignment of the 2M Red using a Stevenson (for Rega) protractor and also tried a Baerwald (for Rega) alignment for a day just to make sure of which one was best for me.

How old is your 2M Red? Although I found it pretty good from new, it got far better over the following couple of weeks after 25 - 30 hours use.

A

Anonymous

About 50 hours on it. I've always had a Blue Point or Blue Point Special, I'm positive it's alligned correctly. I used a Shure force gauge, printout protractor etc. Besides which, I've done new and used turntables for work over the past couple months and I've had no complaints. Hopefully that's a sign of my prowess and not customer's brutishness!

Anyway, I think I've sold myself on a Rondo. In the end I just find this cart. unforgiving and harsh. Albeit admittedly easier on surface noise than Sumikos. The relative cheapness of the thing has probably also soured me subconsciously. I'm a pretty hardline flat-earther and a 200 dollar source point just doesn't seem right to me.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard the Kontrapunkt A but I can highly recommend the Kontrapunt B. I appreciate it is likely outside of your budget. However, from what people have said all the cartridges in the Kontrapunkt range are consistent great performers it just all depends on your budget.

A

Anonymous

DV, I know I'm going to feel silly when I get the answer to this... but what does T+A stand for in your sig?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, i used a 2m blue for a while and good cartridge though it is the denon 110-dl is better imo. As you have used the sumiko you could take a punt on the denon for the same money as the 2m red, always good to have a spare cartridge for emergencies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts