24p smooth film yes or no?

T

theflyingwasp

Watched a lot of blu rays since I got my zt65 back in June ,I know a few people think its a sin to have this setting set to maximum but I think the picture looks better with it on ,there is very slight judder here in there but I prefer it ,anybody else prefer this setting?

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have not seen a ZT in action but I suspect that they have improved this settings implementation over the last few years, particularly with this TV. It would be interesting to see what other ZT owners have it set to. There was a time I would have said no way to this and the frame creation as well, but from personal experience I know that the frame creation has got to the point now where I would say it is essential to have it on albeit on a low setting.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think the tech is very clever in what it does and how the resulting image ends up however.....

Consider this you have bought the ZT - to supposedly get as close to how the director intended the image to be.

Do you think he inteneded it to be how it is with 24fps smooth on? If so you would not need to turn it on

I dont think so persoanlly and if you read every reviewer they say turn it off. I say turn it off as well, its not needed with a good calibration , setup etc.

This range of Panasonic displays / panels are not perfect - you do get some visual anomolies that the 24fps smooth is there to try and sort out, but it has its own effect on things I feel that stops the movie looking like a movie.

Great to show off as a demo or in store to catch the eye - is it for 24/7 use I dont think so persoanlly but its up to you

T

theflyingwasp

I'm starting to annoy myself every bloody thing I watch I fanny about with the intelligent frame creation ,not many people have the zt60 so I don't know what they use ,the picture is awesome without it but then I think it looks better with it on ,there s slight judder here and there with blu ray and DVD but when it's set to max definatly think DVD looks better also maybe I'm a little bit paranoid but I think there is very slight screen shaking yet again is it me changing back and forth to IFC off then set to the max

also I know what a good picture looks like but I've only been into home cinema a year and a half and I've went from the Panasonic gt50 to the Panasonic zt65 the picture on both sets are awesome I don't have anything to compare them too.

T

theflyingwasp

Hi there strapped for cash ,I see you've had you're vt65 calibrated did u notice a massive diffrence after calibration.

D

Deleted member 2457

Mine is on max and I have never had any problems.

T

theflyingwasp

Hey gel I dunno it looks better to me with it to the max but Ellisdj had a good point all the reviewers have it turned off when doing reviews.ive had it since June and I haven't even bothered connecting my TiVo box back up I just watch movies I'm back and forth with it watching movies,it could just be that the gt50 has better IFC than the zt60 because we both have the same blu ray players now

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what a "massive" difference would mean. I think the picture would need to be transformed from pretty awful to outstanding for calibration to make that degree of difference.

The picture out of the box is very good on the VT65 and ZT65, but professional calibration will improve things notably. The best way of expressing it, as stated on other threads, is that professional calibration represents the best upgrade you can make without buying a new TV. (Since you already own what's arguably the best TV available, upgrading your television isn't possible, so that last point is hypothetical.)

Professional calibration won't elimate picture judder, though I'm not sure why you're experiencing this with 24p content. Twenty-four frames per second playback isn't perfectly smooth, though trying to iron this out through frame interpellation (your TV guessing what might appear between frames) isn't the answer.

To the best of my knowledge, your Oppo doesn't introduce undefeatable frame interpellation. Nor does it have motion processing options. You might set the Oppo to output video as "source direct." I think the Oppo has this option. That way your BDP shouldn't add any image processing that might lead to anomalies or artifacts.

In any case, engaging frame interpellation really shouldn't be necessary with 24p content. 50Hz material, especially on Panasonic plasma TVs, is another matter altogether. For UK broadcast material, setting IFC to "min" may help with some content, but you shouldn't set the IFC control any higher than this.

Hope that's some help.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hey gel I dunno it looks better to me with it to the max

Ultimately it's your TV and you should set it up in the way that you enjoy best. For me, IFC, especially set to Max, looks very strange indeed and introduces all manner of picture artifacts.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hi there strapped for cash ,I see you've had you're vt65 calibrated did u notice a massive diffrence after calibration.

Hi Wasp, best suggestion I can make is that you get your TV calibrated, then make your decision re IFC after a few weeks of viewing post calibration.

Yes, it will cost you a few hundred quid, but when you've spent that much on a TV (plus what you've spent on what looks to be a good set-up all round) another £200-£250 is not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Played around with IFC when I first got the ZT and would echo your "is it better, is it not" dilemma, but since it was calibrated I've had it turned off and watched Sky HD, Apple TV and BluRay, and at no point felt the need to switch it back on again.

Go on, join the club! :)

T

theflyingwasp

Thanks for the information, yes "massive" was perhaps the wrong word.its me i should just leave it off everything else is set to off except this .just had a browse through the oppo settings doesn't seem to be any motion processing options,sooner I get this thing up to enough hours then get it calibrated the better .i shouldn't have to be mucking about with picture settings to make the picture any better than it already is ,the thx cinema default settings on this thing are excellent.thanks again.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've just my IFC on to max while watching football, and to me, it just doesn't look natural.

When the ball is kicked hard, the initial path of the ball kind of stutters and blurs.

I have mine switched to off, though very very rarely, I put it on min.

T

theflyingwasp

Hey mrmalarky yes my friend I need to get this thing calibrated asap like I said to strapped for cash every other picture enhancement is set to off except this ,oblivion came out in the uk today and the picture is awesome IFC on or off ,bit jealous of you guys in the states getting the 65 inch version of the ZT

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hey mrmalarky yes my friend I need to get this thing calibrated asap like I said to strapped for cash every other picture enhancement is set to off except this ,oblivion came out in the uk today and the picture is awesome IFC on or off ,bit jealous of you guys in the states getting the 65 inch version of the ZT

I'm in the UK as well Wasp, so also had to settle for the 60" - was torn between the ZT and the 65" VT for that reason (though happy with the choice I made, as think the 65" would have been just the wrong side of too big for our lounge, though I know SonofSJ will tell me "there's no such thing as too big!" ;) ). Well worth getting yours calibrated, blurays in particular will look stunning once you have done.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Mine is on max and I have never had any problems.

Can't believe just read this Sorry Gel but this comments makes any of your posted opinions on blu ray players null and void! I said this to you months ago - if you use IFC keep your existing player as any differences are murdered by the 'Max' processing done by the TV. You don't need it on with a good player and setup. IFC is designed to grab the eye of a noddy as they walk past a shop, wow look at that for that high price I want it regardless of the price. Typical example was a noddy sales man in a big well known store - he said to me look how smooth the movement is (55VT65) I said that's because you have IFC on - he looked at me puzzled - I thought you know nothing and its insulting you trying to sell to me, plus it had lots of movement judder and looked artificial and that was playing cars 2. But it would sell the set to a noddy who knows nothing I thought I had IFC on min for TV - just checked and its off, turned it on min I hate it. Max looks horrific everything moves unnatural and at double speed.

Also there is defiantly no such thing as too big, next time you buy a bigger set as we all will, especially with 4k sets are going to get really big I would guess so they are worth buying. Son of SJ is right!!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I'm not sure what a "massive" difference would mean. I think the picture would need to be transformed from pretty awful to outstanding for calibration to make that degree of difference.

The picture out of the box is very good on the VT65 and ZT65, but professional calibration will improve things notably. The best way of expressing it, as stated on other threads, is that professional calibration represents the best upgrade you can make without buying a new TV. (Since you already own what's arguably the best TV available, upgrading your television isn't possible, so that last point is hypothetical.)

Professional calibration won't elimate picture judder, though I'm not sure why you're experiencing this with 24p content. Twenty-four frames per second playback isn't perfectly smooth, though trying to iron this out through frame interpellation (your TV guessing what might appear between frames) isn't the answer.

To the best of my knowledge, your Oppo doesn't introduce undefeatable frame interpellation. Nor does it have motion processing options. You might set the Oppo to output video as "source direct." I think the Oppo has this option. That way your BDP shouldn't add any image processing that might lead to anomalies or artifacts.

In any case, engaging frame interpellation really shouldn't be necessary with 24p content. 50Hz material, especially on Panasonic plasma TVs, is another matter altogether. For UK broadcast material, setting IFC to "min" may help with some content, but you shouldn't set the IFC control any higher than this.

Hope that's some help.

I'm guessing 'interpellation' may be a concept you deal with professionally, but here I think you mean 'interpolation'.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
I'm starting to annoy myself every bloody thing I watch I fanny about with the intelligent frame creation ,not many people have the zt60 so I don't know what they use ,the picture is awesome without it but then I think it looks better with it on ,there s slight judder here and there with blu ray and DVD but when it's set to max definatly think DVD looks better also maybe I'm a little bit paranoid but I think there is very slight screen shaking yet again is it me changing back and forth to IFC off then set to the max

also I know what a good picture looks like but I've only been into home cinema a year and a half and I've went from the Panasonic gt50 to the Panasonic zt65 the picture on both sets are awesome I don't have anything to compare them too.

Wasp, out of interest what do you have 'sharpness' set at in your picture menu settings? If this is set to anything more than Zero then it can introduce judder with some TV's (as the processing engine is trying to introduce artificial sharpness into the image while also handling motion).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'm guessing 'interpellation' may be a concept you deal with professionally, but here I think you mean 'interpolation'.

Yes and yes. (The terms have very different meanings.) :oops:

I'm worrying increasingly about brain function, though a solid day and night's return drive from hols probably didn't help. I'm still not feeling very alert.

T

theflyingwasp

Oh sorry for some reason i thought u were in america.i think the 65 inch ZT woulda been £4500 in the uk i couldnt have stretched my budget that far .i think panasonic thought european houses were to small to justify making more of the expensive panels for europe

Here are my thx home cinema settings at the moment

Contrast 60

Brightness -10

Sharpness 0

Colour 50

Tint 0

I know every set is diffrent but are those anywhere near your settings on your ZT

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Those settings seem well off mate.

I would guess depending on what gamma setting you have selected - which should be 2.4 without a cal.

I would guess brightness to be around +3 -to + 5 not -10 brightness must be ridiculous dark and crushing / losing loads of detail

Sharpness - minus as much as it goes so not 0 - 30 or whatever it goes down to cant remember

T

theflyingwasp

Thanks for that .i kinda thought the brightness was wrong.im using oblivion as an example because i watched it last night and its fresh im ny head.it looked awesone to me but.what i think is a good picture and WHAT is a good picture must be 2 diffrent things.i had the sharpness at -50 since i got the ZT back in june.but a reviewer said the sharpness should always be at 0 with the panasonics .only been into home cinema for about a year and a half all ive ever owned is the panny gt50 and now the zt60 so any info or thoughts u guys have is welcomed.or until i get the bloody thing calibrated. :wall:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Oh sorry for some reason i thought u were in america.i think the 65 inch ZT woulda been £4500 in the uk i couldnt have stretched my budget that far .i think panasonic thought european houses were to small to justify making more of the expensive panels for europe

Here are my thx home cinema settings at the moment

Contrast 60

Brightness -10

Sharpness 0

Colour 50

Tint 0

I know every set is diffrent but are those anywhere near your settings on your ZT

Just had a quick look at the settings info steve sent me after he calibrated the set, and the basic settings are as follows:

Contrast = 70

Brightness = 0

Sharpness = 0

Colour = 50

Tint = 0

Colour Temp = Warm (needed because apparently most TV's out the box are tilted towards Blue in favour of Red, as Blue makes whites look whiter in the showroom, and this became blindingly apparent when Steve showed me the 'before' and 'after' results, which I'll post when I'm back home this weekend).

vivid colour = Off

The rest of the stuff is in the 'Advanced Settings' menu, which to be honest aren't worth posting as no two panels are the same, so the finer detail needs to be set by a trained calibrator. When I post the reports over the weekend though you'd be amazed how far out some of the colour aettings were 'out the box', so well worth getting this done when you've invested so much in the TV.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just checked 0 is as far off as it goes

Missing key details - gamma and what gamma the set is calibrated to. Brightness to 0 must be because the set comes out of black different to the vt. The vt is supposed to come out of black quicker so I would expect brightness to be set lower than the ZT? Also colour temp is semi irrelevant after calibration. I found normal to give better starting results than warm, it does push blue, but warm pushes red so either way you have to change it

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Just checked 0 is as far off as it goes

Missing key details - gamma and what gamma the set is calibrated to. Brightness to 0 must be because the set comes out of black different to the vt. The vt is supposed to come out of black quicker so I would expect brightness to be set lower than the ZT? Also colour temp is semi irrelevant after calibration. I found normal to give better starting results than warm, it does push blue, but warm pushes red so either way you have to change it

Gamma's set at 2.2. Will post the full before & after charts when I get home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts