24hz VS 60hz

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
If I set my blu-ray player to output at 60hz instead of 24hz (too much judder at 24hz) does that mean that films etc will run too fast like speeded up or not ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
'Frames per second' only ever affected DVDs and older tape based formats.

It is recommended to watch any source native (sound or picture), as any upconversion or upsampling can add artifacts. Although there are one or two exceptions to that.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
This is where it gets tricky.

If 24Hz is too jittery it may be a setting on your TV that need turning off.

grdunn123 is right. Most films are filmed at 24 Frames per second. However whenthe are encoded for BD they are set to 23.98fps. This shouldn't be too obviouse but it can show up on big pan or tilt shost, especially if they move quick.

I is best really to set your player to Source Direct. That way it will adjust depenting what disc you have in.

50i and 60i Respective 50Hz and 60Hz are for TV programs. UK and Europe native (PAL) would be 50i =25fps and the US and Asia (NTSC) would 60i =30fps

All TV content put on to disc like all the BBC stuff will be 1080/50i for example.

As Big boss says. What TV do you have and what setting are on and which are off?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I had issues with 24fps initially myself.

To get it to run smoothly turn of all processing on your tv and on the av amp and set the effect to the lowest setting if you have 24fps switched on in your player.

Can't remember who it was but there was a good bit of advise posted in the HT forum in a post I raised awhile back.

Called '24fps unrealistic' or something like that.

It's better than 60fps but looks unrealistic if set too high in your settings and can cause breakup/patterns around characters against complex backdrops during long pans.

MadSquirrel

May 31, 2009
Visit site
When I first set the system up there was some "juddering" when I tried to use 24-frame mode. Pressing the Info button on the telly showed a 1080p60 signal being received.

I fiddled with the AVR settings and set the HDMI mode to "bypass". The TV's status changed to 1080p24 and all was fine.

When I had some more time to play around I discovered a "frame rate" option on the Arcam's setup menu, 50Hz, 60Hz, or As Source. However I've left it on bypass. My Denon BD player outputs a 1080 signal regardless of the source (upscaling if needed). The Freesat+ box upscales SD to 1080p and deinterlaces 1080i to 1080p. So the HDMI upscaling isn't needed in the AVR.

I only have two video sources (BD and Freesat+) and the TV's internal Freeview HD tuner. No need for up-conversion from composite etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts