2018 OLED prices ... under £1k?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Apparently it’s a 2017 model, it’s got Bluetooth too.

D

Deleted member 2457

I was talking to head of the electronics department in JL today and he said they will soon be getting the LG 55c8 Oled TV, so not only Currys limited this year.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'll pick my new Xbox up from JL today. I will have a last look at the LGB7 to compare as I could still exchange.

However, since adjusting the tv a little over a week ago to my preferred day/night/sport/movie settings I have not touched it since. It is as close to (My perceived) perfection as can be. Nothing irritates, most things are simply awesome.

I'll most probably stay with it.

Highly, highly recommend the panel and starting to think I prefer the opposite of reviewers favourites (especially when reading Sony reviews, god knows how they come up with the cxxxx).

I think the very slightly improved black levels on the LG OLED comes with other issues the Samsung does not suffer from.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
I'll pick my new Xbox up from JL today. I will have a last look at the LGB7 to compare as I could still exchange.

However, since adjusting the tv a little over a week ago to my preferred day/night/sport/movie settings I have not touched it since. It is as close to (My perceived) perfection as can be. Nothing irritates, most things are simply awesome.

I'll most probably stay with it.

Highly, highly recommend the panel and starting to think I prefer the opposite of reviewers favourites (especially when reading Sony reviews, god knows how they come up with the cxxxx).

I think the very slightly improved black levels on the LG OLED comes with other issues the Samsung does not suffer from.

What is the Q7F like in terms of upscaling, both HD and SD ?

I looked at the LG 55B7 in JL earlier this week, and it was by far the worst at upscaling SD content, compared to LCD models from Samsung, Panasonic and Sony. (They didn't have the QLED). Quite how What HiFi reckon it is the best I don't know.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It is very good. I still watch low resolution freeview or whatever it is called now and its entirely acceptable on my 55" panel. HD and 4k look glorious but I would expect that.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
One thing I do not like about the Samsung is that the No-gap wall bracket costs over a hundred quid. I know its clever with its easy angle and position adjustments but it still seems a lot.

After I've seen the 55" on the wall it's must have though but it bumps the price of the telly up.

They (and others) should give customers an option on what mounting hardware they want.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
It is very good. I still watch low resolution freeview or whatever it is called now and its entirely acceptable on my 55" panel. HD and 4k look glorious but I would expect that.

I went to my local Currys PC World today and saw the LG B7 and QLED (actually Q6F) side by side. They only had 4k demo content but it was interesting to compare them. The store had ambient lighting similar to my own living room and although the B7 had very good black levels, so did the QLED. I think you would have to be in a completely darkened room to notice the difference.

The LG had very good colour rendition, but not as good as the QLED, which looked amazingly vivid yet still natural. The B7 also had pronounced banding in dark scenes, which were absent on the QLED. One surprising thing was the viewing angle:- the OLED was exceptional but the QLED was almost as good. You had to view at an extremely obtuse angle before there was any significant drop in brightness or contrast. The QLED was better than any of the other LCD TVs on display in that regard too.

Overall, I think that Samsung have nailed it with QLED, and no concerns on screen burn either of course.

I attended a TV shootout last year where they compared a Philips OLED (LG panel) with Samsung QLED.

These were my thoughts:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/tv-shootout-philips-9002-oled-vs-samsung-q7-qled-bafta

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
I attended a TV shootout last year where they compared a Philips OLED (LG panel) with Samsung QLED.

These were my thoughts:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/tv-shootout-philips-90...

Interesting, and could not be more opposite to my experience.

You have to bare in mind that AVforums (Steve Withers) is a very much pro-OLED and anti-QLED site, so I would expect any demo they do to be setup accordingly. The screen burn issue gets routinely dismissed by them, even though the problem is very real and common. Worse still, OLED screen burn seems to be extremely variable. Some people have had no issues after several years, while others are seeing significant PIR after just a few weeks, regardless of the content viewed. I wouldn't touch OLED with a barge pole, and the terrible banding would be intolerable for me.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
For me, the poor shadow detail, poor upscaling (LG) and banding would be a constant source of irritation, and for those reasons I wouldn't buy one even if the screen burn issue was sorted out.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The QLED is not perfect. Neither are OLED'S.

Samsung's Micro LED will probably come close to ideal with none of the pitfalls of the others.

Still, it's a few years off yet so no point contemplating what may be.

One strength of QLED is it's wide colour gamuth at all levels, low and bright. - I think the importance of this is often under played, especially as it affects reproduction in a wide range of scenes (and settings) ... typical of most folks viewing habits.

Now I like a natural picture, far removed from technicolour comical shop settings. - So my settings, at first may seem slightly subdued to some. However, because of the wide colour range if something brightly coloured enters the picture (example; Mark Brownlee reviews on YouTube HD and 4k ... boom ... there it is in all its glory.

Another example is Sky News HD. Natural face hues with all the subtlety and variation of real life. Some tv's just can no do this. High Viz jackets in reportages look vivid like you would see them outside. - Some tv's make them glow unnaturally or show them dull and under saturated.

On many other sets you either have to have colour cranked up or watch a dull lifeless picture with no pop. - Worse, often it varies with settings and brightness/dimness as the panels dimply can not reproduce the colour range in extreme conditions. - Not so on the QLED.

Colour range is imho very visibly superior to LG's OLED too. Sony and Panasonic's driver hard and software (OLED ...not LED) seem to do better than LG's but trade offs are elsewhere.

Saying all this, nothing I have seen can match OLED'S black levels and viewing angles. In that respect they are ahead.

Samsung just launched new top end QLED's with FALD. First reports are very promising and they should come very close in black levels but prices are high.

Still, they will offer brightness levels no OLED can match at present with super wide gamut levels and none of the typical OLED issues (but I am sure they will introduce new ones) :)

I saw some bluray 4k animation playing on the LG OLED's in JL. I don't know what the film was , it seemed almost Tim Burton like but it looked stunning. - I know the sets were cranked up to max, not something I'd like to do too often at home but it was a total OLED showpiece, even in a brightly lit showroom, blitzing everything else including QLED (they showed the usual Samsung demo).

Horses for courses. No tv is perfect yet but I do believe Samsung are closer than most to it with Micro LED.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cs2011 said:
For me, the poor shadow detail, poor upscaling (LG) and banding would be a constant source of irritation, and for those reasons I wouldn't buy one even if the screen burn issue was sorted out.

I kind of agree. However, colour banding affects most tv's. Only Sony have have effective software in this respect.

If you mean vertical banding then yes, that seems to affect LG OLED's more than other manufacturers using the same panel but it seems normal for most with some differences in severity.

My guess is that it has to do with the laminating process which is different to LED.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
If you mean vertical banding then yes, that seems to affect LG OLED's more than other manufacturers using the same panel but it seems normal for most with some differences in severity.

No this was brightness banding in all directions. When the B7 was displaying a low light level scene, the brightness was being quantised to just a few discrete levels, like a contour map. It was most disconcerting. The QLED right next to it didn't do this, its brightness gradation varied smoothly right down to complete black.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cs2011 said:
drummerman said:

No this was brightness banding in all directions.  When the B7 was displaying a low light level scene, the brightness was being quantised to just a few discrete levels, like a contour map.  It was most disconcerting.  The QLED right next to it didn't do this, its brightness gradation varied smoothly right down to complete black.

Ah ok, not sure about that.

Going back a little, burn in is a real issue though. Shame as you really have to baby the tv. Still, I am still tempted by OLED ... :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Which ever high end TV you purchase, it’s worth considering getting them professionally calibrated. I remember my PDP VT out of the box settings were terrible, and when I had it calibrated it got rid of the crushed blacks, jaundice skin tones and the colours were more vibrant..

made a massive difference!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just use my eyes. Been long enough on this planet to know what I like.

I also don't think it's worth it for a £1200 tv which I may keep for a couple of years.

This day and age most things seem to move in 2 year cycles.

cs2011 said:
bigboss said:

These were my thoughts:

You have to bare in mind that AVforums (Steve Withers) is a very much pro-OLED and anti-QLED site, so I would expect any demo they do to be setup accordingly.  The screen burn issue gets routinely dismissed by them, even though the problem is very real and common.  Worse still, OLED screen burn seems to be extremely variable.  Some people have had no issues after several years, while others are seeing significant PIR after just a few weeks, regardless of the content viewed.  I wouldn't touch OLED with a barge pole, and the terrible banding would be intolerable for me.
No. The TVs were professionally calibrated. We demoed in a proper dark room (as opposed to a shop floor without any calibration). The non-FALD QLEDs cannot escape the inherent issues with edge lighting.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I just use my eyes. Been long enough on this planet to know what I like.

I also don't think it's worth it for a £1200 tv which I may keep for a couple of years.

This day and age most things seem to move in 2 year cycles.

i tend to keep my TVs for a minimum of 5 years, so worth the investment for me.

Even HDTV Test undertook a similar shootout of professionally calibrated TVs. The TVs were provided by Crompton and Moore who sell all the TVs, so no subjective bias there.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/shootout-results-201708224491.htm

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
cs2011 said:
bigboss said:

These were my thoughts:

You have to bare in mind that AVforums (Steve Withers) is a very much pro-OLED and anti-QLED site, so I would expect any demo they do to be setup accordingly.  The screen burn issue gets routinely dismissed by them, even though the problem is very real and common.  Worse still, OLED screen burn seems to be extremely variable.  Some people have had no issues after several years, while others are seeing significant PIR after just a few weeks, regardless of the content viewed.  I wouldn't touch OLED with a barge pole, and the terrible banding would be intolerable for me.
No. The TVs were professionally calibrated. We demoed in a proper dark room (as opposed to a shop floor without any calibration). The non-FALD QLEDs cannot escape the inherent issues with edge lighting.

Absolutely. Nothing can compare to OLED's for blacks.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:

OLEDs certainly have the best black levels and viewing angles. That is quite evidently true. However, when viewed in typical domestic ambient lighting, the black level issue is less important. That was my point about comparing the OLED and QLED in Currys, there was little subjective difference in that regard, but the QLED was brighter and had much better colour saturation and accuracy.

But OLEDs still have big problems at the near-black level, manifest as poor shadow detail, colour banding and brightness banding as I described. Then there is the screen burn issue, which is a complete lottery as to whether a particular TV will suffer from it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts