2018 OLED prices ... under £1k?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Also, will they make some in 49inches? - Not everyone wants a monster in their lounge.

Samsungs QLED is the alternative. The 49incher is just over £1200. - That will no doubt slip under the £1000 mark.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
You can get an OLED for under £1K now! 

Clicky

That's a good price! Cheers

A bit to big. LG panel can't be bad but the soft and hardware driving it are important too as I found out during my extensive look into smaller LED's.

What do you think about Samsung's QLED's? They do one in 49".

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Fingers crossed dm, I'd quite fancy a 49" OLED for under a grand, I've been putting off buying a new TV for ages, perhaps this would sway my decision? (probably not though)

drummerman said:
bigboss said:
You can get an OLED for under £1K now! 

Clicky

That's a good price! Cheers

A bit to big. LG panel can't be bad but the soft and hardware driving it are important too as I found out during my extensive look into smaller LED's.

What do you think about Samsung's QLED's? They do one in 49".
I attended a TV shootout at BAFTA in August, where they compared Samsung QLED with Philips OLED. No contest, really. If you can fit a 55 inch TV, go for OLED. 2018 TVs will be announced at CES in 2 weeks, you can wait to see if LG announces a sub-50 inch OLED.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.

I guess QLED is a bit in no mans land. Looked at some reviews of the 49" and whilst relatively positive, it still 'suffers' from the same issues as normal LED's to a greater or lesser extend.

So, OLED it is or a humble Panasonic 40 or 50 (at a push) ex700b which seemed to have the best upscaling from SD and HD pluse the best screen imho. Its reflective (rather than matt/semi-matt on others) but adds depth the others seemed to lack and lovely natural colours.

Unfortunately I can't (do not want) to spend more than a grand on a telly. Also buying an amp at the moment.

Bigboss, what do you think about that £1k OLED you've mentioned? No details available other than the LG panel which is probably a generation (or two?) older.

Are there any really bad OLED's or will this thing be probably better than any LED?

With TVs almost bezel less now, I think you will find that the 55 inch TVs now will be similar size to previous 50 inch ones.

Check returns policy with that TV which will allow you to return it in case you're not happy with it.

D

Deleted member 2457

A week before Black Friday you could’ve got an LG 55e7v Oled TV for £1000 with a 5 year warranty at John Lewis - biggest bargain ever.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
A week before Black Friday you could’ve got an LG 55e7v Oled TV for £1000 with a 5 year warranty at John Lewis - biggest bargain ever.  

I had my sights lower and in some ways still do. I once bought an expensive box (Kuro) and had nothing but disappointments with it.

£1k is really as high as I want to go this time.

Tv tech is constantly evolving and this year's great are old hat in two years.

Having looked into it was/is somewhat confusing.

Some favourites have emerged. I like the Panasonic's for motion, upscaling and natural colours. I like the Samsung's for panel brightness and I really don't like any Sony's other than for looks which is imho tops. In fact, the £380 43inch full array direct back lit 4k 'HDR' (I know very few if any LED's do proper HDR) Hisense at Richer Sounds looked almost exactly the same as the £1100 full array direct lit Sony after I played with the settings. The 49inch Sony was a tiny little brighter, the Hisense sharper and with better motion. Both have forms of local dimming. Both had less shadow detail than the Panasonic which in turn lacked a little brightness but had better depth due to the reflective screen as opposed to the matte/semi matte on the others. Go figure

It's a jungle out there.

I think it's either around £500 for an LED or double that for an OLED. -

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I brought a Sony 49” led tv for £450 ex- display and I am more then happy with its picture quality I would like a oled but not going to pay the high prices they sell for because I no they will drop like the 4k did and as you have said tech moves fast .

and a Sony Tv that is probably calibration looks very good and it’s hard to tell in a shop until your got the Tv at home I thought myself a 55” tv would be to big as I had come from an old school 42” sharp tv but the 49” is the same size as my old tv because of the breeze that surrounds the screen so I could of brought the 55” after all .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I brought a Sony 49” led tv for £450 ex- display and I am more then happy with its picture quality I would like a oled but not going to pay the high prices they sell for because I no they will drop like the 4k did and as you have said tech moves fast .

and a Sony Tv that is probably calibration looks very good and it’s hard to tell in a shop until your got the Tv at home I thought myself a 55” tv would be to big as I had come from an old school 42” sharp tv but the 49” is the same size as my old tv because of the breeze that surrounds the screen so I could of brought the 55” after all .

Appreciate that, the surrounding were sub-optimal and it always favored the brighter screens. I simply compared like for like with settings roughly to my liking ie. heavily toned down from the garish demo modes.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you are not interested in 4k then this is worth considering:

https://www.ebuyer.com/818746-55-full-hd-oled-smart-digital-tv-55eg9a7

D

Deleted member 2457

Review here:

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-televiseur/lg-55eg9a7v-p40135/test.html

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Could you keep us updated with whatever TV you decide to buy please dm? I have a feeling that whatever you buy will almost certainly be the TV I want* *biggrin*

* it's not that I'm too lazy to do the legwork myself but... *wink*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Could you keep us updated with whatever TV you decide to buy please dm? I have a feeling that whatever you buy will almost certainly be the TV I want* *biggrin*

* it's not that I'm too lazy to do the legwork myself but... *wink*

:)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
With TVs almost bezel less now, I think you will find that the 55 inch TVs now will be similar size to previous 50 inch ones.

Check returns policy with that TV which will allow you to return it in case you're not happy with it.

My VT 50” is the same size of my LG 55” lcd Tv due to very little bezel on the LG!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In my quest for a telly a twist of fortune has led me down a path I didn't plan to tread.

During a spontaneous visit to JL I had a quick look at tv's when I saw the Manager wheeling in a Sony and pricing it in the clearance section. The model, a 49XE80 was reduced by £270 (To £350)due to the customer returning it after 2 days and upgrading it for the next larger size. It came without box but full 5 year warranty. Obviously it looks new.

Picture is acceptable and I should be able to sell it on with only a little loss in a year when I defo will go OLED.

I thought 350 quid is not bad for an up to date branded 4k telly.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi DM, in John Lewis last sale they did an LG 55e6v for £700 online and £742 for a LG 55b6v!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:

i highly doubt that, as even the cheaper b7v is still £1800 as of march 2018. but i would love to be proven wrong :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Nugget, the deals got posted in this thread:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/oled-price-changes.1992195/page-369

And yes the more expensive model was cheaper being the E model than the B.

D

Deleted member 2457

Also someone else on this forum bought the same deal that I did a LG 65e7v Oled TV for £1700 and yes the price is £3800 at present.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts