2018 OLED prices ... under £1k?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

buzz_lightclick

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
A week before Black Friday you could’ve got an LG 55e7v Oled TV for £1000 with a 5 year warranty at John Lewis - biggest bargain ever.

i highly doubt that, as even the cheaper b7v is still £1800 as of march 2018. but i would love to be proven wrong :)

i believe the deal was as a result of a loophole in the LG cashback promotion- some shops included the cashback discount in the E7 selling price, then people price matched those stores with John Lewis to get the same price, and subsequently sent off a claim to LG for further cashback which apparently worked - Gel was one who benefited from this.

Not explained it very well but it was something like that.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
A week before Black Friday you could’ve got an LG 55e7v Oled TV for £1000 with a 5 year warranty at John Lewis - biggest bargain ever.

i highly doubt that, as even the cheaper b7v is still £1800 as of march 2018. but i would love to be proven wrong :)

i believe the deal was as a result of a loophole in the LG cashback promotion- some shops included the cashback discount in the E7 selling price, then people price matched those stores with John Lewis to get the same price, and subsequently sent off a claim to LG for further cashback which apparently worked - Gel was one who benefited from this.

Not explained it very well but it was something like that.
Yep, that was it. It included £800 cash back from LG for the 65 inch and £500 cash back for the 55-inch TV. Cheers.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Buzz,

Spot on. The price match took the first cash back out of the equation. BTW, took 8 years for the PQ of my Kuro to be beaten to my eyes and still got a good price for it on fleabay making the upgrade very reasonable indeed. Only initial downside of the LG vs Kuro was some motion artefacts, but fixed with a firmware upgrade and by turning off all digital processing. Superb PQ and genuinely smart interface. Netflix and Youtube load in seconds. Most retail demos do not do it justice as set up in unwatchable "Vivid" or similar picture mode with too high contast and processing. Dolby Vision initially disappointing on Marvel productions such as Jessica Jones, but recent Netfix production Seven Seconds has redeemed DV to my eyes.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I got a LG OLED55B7V 55" from the BT Sshop for £1479 today, which I thought was pretty good. They still have a couple left...

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/lg-oled55b7v-55--oled-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-with-dolby-atmos-oled55b7v-D4F2.html?q=Oled

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I got a LG OLED55B7V 55" from the BT Sshop for £1479 today, which I thought was pretty good. They still have a couple left...

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/lg-oled55b7v-55--oled-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-with-dolby-atmos-oled55b7v-D4F2.html?q=Oled

That is a good price indeed and a very nice tv.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Gazzip said:
I got a LG OLED55B7V 55" from the BT Sshop for £1479 today, which I thought was pretty good. They still have a couple left...

Alas it was not meant to be. BT are a bunch of shisters, they really are. They cancelled my order today having over sold the TV yesterday. No sorry or anything and quite unpleasant about the whole thing. “I think you’ll find sir that we actually have no contract with you”. Etc. Etc. Won’t buy anything from them again.

So I went and bought one from those lovely people at JL instead! Different class of service.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
drummerman said:
Gazzip said:
I got a LG OLED55B7V 55" from the BT Sshop for £1479 today, which I thought was pretty good. They still have a couple left...

Alas it was not meant to be. BT are a bunch of shisters, they really are. They cancelled my order today having over sold the TV yesterday. No sorry or anything and quite unpleasant about the whole thing. “I think you’ll find sir that we actually have no contract with you”. Etc. Etc. Won’t buy anything from them again.

So I went and bought one from those lovely people at JL instead! Different class of service.

Sorry to hear that. It's still a lovely tv and a lot cheaper then at launch.

I saw it at Richer Sounds and JL and the difference to even Samsung's QLED is pronounced.

If they were £1300 I'd buy one but £1800 Is to steep. I remember spending £2500 on the Kuro and regretted doing so.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Got the LG delivered yesterday and installed it this morning.I got the OLED55E7N in the end. With the LG £500 cash back offer the E variant works out at only £200 more. The screens the same as the B variant but the E has a sound bar so I thought why not.

Straight out of the box the picture is jaw-droppingly good. It really is. It has replaced a 6 year old top of the range Sony LCD TV and there really is no comparison. The OLED is worlds ahead. So far I have only watched Blu-ray (Frozen - I have kids and it’s a Saturday) with UHD to come this evening. Can’t wait!

There is however a problem. Such a leap in definition, contrast and sharpness revealed some of the warts on Frozen that I haven’t seen before. Trust me, I’ve seen the film a lot, but what jumped out at me on this viewing was how obvious it was that the characters are green-screen rendered and then composited in to their background. Very distracting. Probably something I will get used to over time but quite odd at the moment.

The Revenant is tonight’s little treat. I’m waiting for it to get dark like a kid on Christmas Eve!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip, amazing tv. Please report back with your findings. Is your model the one with stylish central stand? I think it looks better than the one on the B7.

Unfortunately out of my price range. However, things have developed; After having had the Sony 49XE80 for just over a week I started to become aware of the short comings. With an IPS panel contrast was poor and brightness was low. Now I don't like dynamic settings and ended up with nearly the same settings as can be found online by calibrators. However, on such a cheap panel it was never going to achieve much. Colours I couldn't get spot on and contrast was even poorer. I did not like the interface and I found the 49" quickly became normal and then ... if not small, at least smallish. Amazing how one can get used to a size. Some years ago I had a 55" Kuro and it was huge in comparison with those thick bezels. Also, despite an IPS screen, things very quickly started to wash out from an angle.

Long story short, I went to Curry's this morning spending almost two hours in there playing around with various TV's. Reason I did not go to John Lewis again after yesterday was that Curry have a darkened tv section, JL's is brightly lit. God knows what they thought about me ... .

In the end, one TV stood out, imho head and shoulders above the rest and coming reasonable close to the OLED's, perhaps surpassing them in a couple of things but not quite matching them in some others.

Samsungs 49 and 55q7f QLED. - Black levels were superior to all but OLED, the colours, oh those colours ... and contrast was superior to all but again OLED's (brightness is probably better than some OLED panels and I don't have to worry about screen burn).

Live Football on HD (not 4k) was stunningly realistic with natural colours. Even heavily dimmed down compared to retail mode with Cinema as default setting and most motion/picture advanced settings turned off the picture was simply leagues above anything in there (other than OLED).

I thought the TV does perhaps 90% of what the OLED's did with regards to contrast/black levels and maybe 110% with regards to colour and brightness. Motion also seemed marginally better but maybe I've just imagined it.

In comparison to Sony's 55EX9305 (£1399) the picture of the Q7 had better contrast, better blacks, better colour, equally good motion, better side on-view with far less bleaching out. The Sony's screen just never seemed to get the depth of black the Samsung did. Its possible that there was a smidgen more detail visible in blacks but they still looked greyer. I am not sure how else to explain it. The Tizen interface is imho streets ahead of Sony's Android based IU. The samsung is thinner, seems better built, has a lovely remote and the separate connection box with the fibre connection which can be placed meters away. The one thing the Sony seemed to do slightly better was upscaling from low resolution terrestrial channels. The difference was minimal though. This is somewhat comparable to what I saw re. black levels/contrast;

https://youtu.be/zwb92Jxdhb0

I am familiar with the good reviews the top (lcd) Sony's usually get but honestly, on the basis of what I saw today and yesterday (at JL but in a bright environment) IMHO there is little comparison between those and the Samsung 2017 QLED's.

Another thing, as mentioned before, is burn in. Whilst I am not anal about it (I wasn't when I had the Kuro) its nice not to have to think about it. Samsung give a ten year warranty on screen burn on the Q's. One of my regularely watched channel is SKY News which is usually on in the background. It has bright labels top and bottom. - I am sure it wouldn't be a big issue even with an OLED but hey ... I can't afford one anyhow so a moot point.

So I went back to John Lewis, handed the Sony back and ordered the Q7 in a 55". I also get another hundred quid off a BR player or £200 off a soundbar but I have to check that out first.

Although I ended up spending far more than originally intended I feel I found the sweet spot at a still just affordable price.

I hope the TV won't disappoint or have serious faults

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
In the end, one TV stood out, imho head and shoulders above the rest and coming reasonable close to the OLED's, perhaps surpassing them in a couple of things but not quite matching them in some others.

Samsungs 49 and 55q7f QLED. - Black levels were superior to all but OLED, the colours, oh those colours ... and contrast was superior to all but again OLED's (brightness is probably better than some OLED panels and I don't have to worry about screen burn).

Very interesting report.

I'm looking for a 49 inch TV at the moment, but there are no OLEDs that size. I'm also concerned about screen burn. Some people have no problems, others have pronounced screen burn within one year. There are lots of reports on AVForums about this.

What is the SD upscaling like ? I watch several of the Freeview channels which are SD only, so upscaling is important to me, more so than 4K capability. Did you also look at the Sony 49/55XE9005 ? That has FALD, so should be pretty good on blacks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cs2011 said:
drummerman said:

Very interesting report.

I'm looking for a 49 inch TV at the moment, but there are no OLEDs that size.  I'm also concerned about screen burn.  Some people have no problems, others have pronounced screen burn within one year.  There are lots of reports on AVForums about this.

What is the SD upscaling like ?  I watch several of the Freeview channels which are SD only, so upscaling is important to me, more so than 4K capability.  Did you also look at the Sony 49/55XE9005 ?  That has FALD, so should be pretty good on blacks.

I will collect the tv tomorrow. In direct comparison the 900 and 930 from Sony looked rather flat with considerable less contrast and brightness. However, the Sony's upscale very well. I will let you know about that in due course as this is important to me too.

In the shop comparison the QLED's upscaled fine too but until I tried at home I won't know.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
@Gazzip

How is it going with your stunning new LG?

It is actually frightening me! The clarity and definition of 4K is going to take some getting used to for sure. Other than that it is a beautiful thing to behold with a marvelous user interface. Sky Q arrives tomorrow in time for the F1 season KO... *man_in_love*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
drummerman said:
@Gazzip

How is it going with your stunning new LG?

It is actually frightening me! The clarity and definition of 4K is going to take some getting used to for sure. Other than that it is a beautiful thing to behold with a marvelous user interface. Sky Q arrives tomorrow in time for the F1 season KO... *man_in_love*

:)

D

Deleted member 2457

You basically wait until Black Friday and then buy an Oled for around £1000.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
You basically wait until Black Friday and then buy an Oled for around £1000.  

Well, picking it up later. JL will refund difference if Easter Sale sees a reduction and I could change for an OLED if I do not like it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Swell.
thumbs_up.png

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have to say, I am impressed. It's a quantum leap over the Sony.

A better example of you get what you pay for.

I only got it last night so time will tell if there are problems but for now I'm astonished.

Now I need to save a couple of months for the KEF Wireless which should nicely complete a stylish and simple set-up.

D

Deleted member 2457

drummerman said:

I only got it last night so time will tell if there are problems but for now I'm astonished.

Now I need to save a couple of months for the KEF Wireless which should nicely complete a stylish and simple set-up.
thumbs_up.png

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
drummerman said:

gel I emailed jo cox but he has only locked one thread and they are still bullying can you speak to him

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
@ Gazzip

The price of the LgB7 has just been reduced by £300.

The E7 might follow soon. Keep an eye on it as JL will match the price for a month even after purchase.

I do the same with mine, it's already down but may fall further around Easter.

Happy times :)

I am almost tempted to change to the B7 but I think I may miss the Q7 ... and its again more money. Never ending :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, £1450 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-OLED55B7V-Premium-Ultra-Smart/dp/B06XVMNVD5

Next years models coming out now and Easter sales too.

D

Deleted member 2457

£915 here:

https://www.debenhamsplus.com/p/1226921/electriq-55-4k-ultra-hd-oled-smart-tv-with-google-android-and-hdr-lg-panel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts