2012 Panasonic plasmas

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Quick answer: Freesat tuners on the two higher-end plasma and LCD models (VT and GT plasmas, WT and DT LCD) as well as Freeview HD tuners. Every other model is Freeview HD

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that's the case.

The blog has now been updated with even more details, including LCD line-up and some early ideas of UK pricing and availability...

That's an excellent comment to Panasonic! :grin:

[Note to Panasonic: don't think that's the screenshot we'd have chosen to use on the press picture above, considering the issues some customers reported with green tinges on their 2011 sets.]

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
The last 2 pictures in your blog are upside down Clare.

As i've noted on the blog, it's only via certain browsers/on some platforms. Tested it on an array of devices out in Hamburg and got a mix of results. Deeply odd....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
That's an excellent comment to Panasonic! :grin:

[Note to Panasonic: don't think that's the screenshot we'd have chosen to use on the press picture above, considering the issues some customers reported with green tinges on their 2011 sets.]

Couldn't quite believe it when we saw it! If we hadn't said it, someone would...

Interesting, incidentally, if you look at that tech specs to see the updates that have been made re phosphors, filters etc - and totally new panel

If the VT50 performs as claimed, this could be the plasma Kuro owners could consider for an upgrade. It's just the active 3D I'm not keen about although, admittedly, Panasonic's 3D is far more comfortable to watch than Sony or Samsung. LG's passive 3D sets were the most comfortable to watch.

Or maybe go for a projector :?

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Can you confirm there will definitely not be a European 42 or 46" 2012 VT model released?

Oh and any pricing?

Not getting ready to raid the piggy bank just yet...!

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
No word on UK pricing yet, I'm afraid (we have asked), and if I'm reading Clare's copious (!) coverage correctly the VT50 will only be available in 50, 55 and 65in sizes.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, there is definitely no VT model below 50in. However, the GT range offers much of the same functionality, and is available in smaller sizes - though (as noted in the blog) Panasonic is producing no 46in plasmas this year, in any model range.

And if you hunt around the blogathon further, there are some prices in there - for example, the 65in VT is likely to cost around £4000 at launch, whereas the 65in ST model should come in at around £2500....

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Did Panasonic say if they've been listening to any feedback from consumers?? Are there going to be more green tint/blob, rising brightness etc issues again this year? There are so many people complaining about these things it seems amazing if they'd overlook them. The new drive systems could well solve this but that depends if these issues ever make it back to the engineers, could even be a regional issue due to power supply voltages around the world that might not show up in the factories.

I'm not sure if reviewers get the same sets as the public but I have three Panny plasmas, two G30's in the office and an S30 in the "man-room" at home - all of which exhibit these green tint/blob problems. It's a shame because in other respects they're great screens.

I do wonder if reviewers get the same sets as the public since WHF did pick up on a slight yellow tint on the LG plasma I also have which is far less severe. You can calibrate out all these tints easily enough but the "green blob" issue cannot be removed so easily.

Not wishing to be imflammatory, just wondering how aware they are of these things!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oh believe me, they get plenty of feedback :)

It's by keeping pushing that things change - either through fixes or upgrades to designs that could be causing issues. That's the same with any product, not just TVs.

Re review samples. If I were a manufacturer sending products out for review, i'd make sure I'd checked them over first and only send out product I was happy with. I'm sure you do the same with speakers - not sending out a box-fresh pair, for example!

But they're definitely production run - and if there are any doubts the test team look at stock from retail.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Re review samples. If I were a manufacturer sending products out for review, i'd make sure I'd checked them over first and only send out product I was happy with. I'm sure you do the same with speakers - not sending out a box-fresh pair, for example!

But they're definitely production run - and if there are any doubts the test team look at stock from retail.

Of course! There are rare occasions when we send things out due to a last minute request (Such as the Radiance 5.1 featured in the mag a fair few months back) but generally I take a pair from stock (if it's not an early production-ready sample), test all is working ok and run in a little if there's time. :) I expect most do the same but I'd hope the sample is always representative of what the public will receive.

I must admit the S30 is a bargain, the 42" cost me £400 and arguably has a better pic in my room than the G30, reflections are not an issue as it's a converted garage so the lesser black filter doesn't come into it. The "Normal" mode seems to avoid most of the green tinting which is quite severe in THX mode.

I think if Panasonic can steer clear of any more random issues in 2012 then people will finally be able to move on from the Kuro, fingers crossed!

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Boooo

I guess my dream of a cheap 46" vt50 is just that...

Seriously though, I wish Panasonic hadn't ditched the 46. For me it's the perfect compromise between a 50 which is just too big for most rooms, and a 42 which is just that little bit too small.

Maybe I should go search for a soon-to-be-heavily-discounted 46" GT30 - but that flush VT bezel is just too sexy!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Clare,

I know this is probably jumping the gun somewhat but would you have any idea when you may get any of the new range in for review? My local dealer is expecting the first delivery batch in mid to late march so i was just wondering how long after that you might get to review one of the new range.

Many thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Still working out what's coming in when, but review stock definitely incoming over next couple of weeks. Will ask the test team to update specifics when they have them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts