£2500 for Amp and speakers help???

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Need some help please,

Budget is £2500 for amp and 5.1 speaker package.

Thought the Onkyo 609 would be a good base leaving £2000 for the speakers or would you spend more on the amp??

Loved the new Kef R series at the show in Manchester but out of budget unless we just went for the centre and the floorstanders for now and added the rest at a later date, or would you need a better amp for these?

Didn't like the new Dali speakers so they are out of the equation.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Had you thought about the Tannoy DC6T in a surround set up? Put it with an amp from Pioneer and you will have a cracking system. I am yet to hear the R Series in store but would imagine they will perform with something higher up the scale from the Onkyo. IMO the Onkyo KEF pairing can work but I would consider the new Yamaha as well - the results are very good with KEF Q-Series.

What didnt you like about the Dali's - is this based on the show experience? If so I would try to get a demonstration of anything you are considering as you may be surprised at the difference in sound.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Just thought they looked really cheap and i know its about the sound but your gonna be looking at them a lot aswell and to make the missus happy they have to look good.

Thats why she loved the Kef R series.

Like the look of the Q series from Kef aswell, just so much to choose from !

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Great, just shown her the Mardaunt short Aviano 8's which have had good reviews and look nice, only to be told the speakers have to piano black now!!!!!

Think i am going to have to just get them and fit them when she is at work one day,

Unless someone knows of a good piano black package around?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Scoobysteve

The AV is fine, what about the Apex series by MA, they come in piano black and perform very well for a sub sat package. Just have a look at the Apex Club thread, there are many owners on here that are extremely pleased!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
By the way look for Ex demo from Sevenoaks you can get them for 2k or maybe even less with the right negotiation. Also you need to factor in cabling here.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
scoobysteve said:
Need some help please,

Budget is £2500 for amp and 5.1 speaker package.

Thought the Onkyo 609 would be a good base leaving £2000 for the speakers or would you spend more on the amp??

Loved the new Kef R series at the show in Manchester but out of budget unless we just went for the centre and the floorstanders for now and added the rest at a later date, or would you need a better amp for these?

Didn't like the new Dali speakers so they are out of the equation.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The Onkyo 609 wont be good enough to allow the R series floorstanders to perform as they should, so i suggest a slightly different spin. Rather than buying the floorstanders, centre, and receiver, why not go for a good quality receiver - something like an Onkyo 809 - then spend the remainder on the R200c, and something like the R100's, which an be relegated to rear duties when you eventually buy the floorstanders? This will leave you around £350, with which to pick up a used sub, which can of course be a temporary measure. This way, you'll end up with a great system, which will be performing as it should do because you'll have a receiver that's driving the R's properly.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, didn't think about looking at it that way to be honest.

I listened to the Kef Q series in the Yamaha room in Manchester at the weekend and they sounded great, well as good as they could with 20 other people standing in the room, plus it was being powered by a £2000 Yamaha amp!

The R series looked and sounded fantastic in the Kef room and the guys in the Kef room where brilliant, had so much time for you so hats off to them!

Do you think you would notice a massive difference in the R series to the Q series in a cinema set up?

Would you recommend the 809 over the Pioneer LX 55? Or is it just the 809 would suit the Kef speakers better?

Sorry for all the questions.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
scoobysteve said:
Sorry for all the questions.
No worries :)

Do you think you would notice a massive difference in the R series to the Q series in a cinema set up?
Definitely.

Would you recommend the 809 over the Pioneer LX 55? Or is it just the 809 would suit the Kef speakers better?
Either receiver will work well, but you'll find the Onkyo is a little more flexible, especially if you're using speakers of different sizes - the Pioneer has a single crossover point for all speakers, but with the Onkyo you can choose different crossover points for different speakers.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply again, I think thats going to be the best way to go at least I know I should be buying something thats going to last a good few years!

What type of speaker stands would you you recommend and how much would you be paying per metre for speaker cable for these speakers?

Would chord company carnival silver screen at £6/m be enough or would I need to put my hand in my pocket further?

Thanks again.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't skimp on stands. The R series are pretty heavy - as an example, the R300's are 50% heavier than the similarly priced heavyweight ATC SCM11's! I would try and stick to four legged stands rather than single columns as they tend to be more stable, but the R100's would look great on the Apollo AZ stands, which are a single large sand filled column which is quite hefty.

Carnival Silver Screen will be fine.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
These speakers would be big enough to fill most rooms wouldnt they especially when I get the R500's?

Silly question but have you heard the new R series and do you think these will clean up the awards and be the best speakers in this price range??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they'd be enough for most rooms. Even using smaller speakers, it's possible to fill large spaces with the use of the right sub/subs, and getting the crossover point right.

As for being award winners, we won't know until next year now, but I'm certain that at least one model in the R series would've received an award... :)

I've heard the R series at the dealer launch earlier this month, at the Manchester show over the weekend, and the R500 in store when the rep brought them round. Stock is being released this week, so we'll very soon be able to hear the whole range in familiar surroundings.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I only ask about awards and so on because the Q300 gets rave reviews yet the Q700 got really poor ones.

Obviously when spending this much money on speakers I would like to know that i am buying as good as it gets for the money.

I heard the R300 and R500 at Manchester myself and to my ears in the huge room they had I thought the R500 sounded as good as I have heard.

Would just like to know your opinion on what you thought of there sound as you will of listened to a million more speakers than I ever have or will??

Regards.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I only ask about awards and so on because the Q300 gets rave reviews yet the Q700 got really poor ones.

Obviously when spending this much money on speakers I would like to know that i am buying as good as it gets for the money.

I heard the R300 and R500 at Manchester myself and to my ears in the huge room they had I thought the R500 sounded as good as I have heard.

Would just like to know your opinion on what you thought of there sound as you will of listened to a million more speakers than I ever have or will??

Regards.

Hi scoobysteve

If you're looking at £1k for an AV amplifier then i'll recommend that you should also consider Yamaha's new Aventage RX-A1010. In my experience not only does Yamaha AV amplification and KEF speakers tonal presenation compliment each other just nicely but (as you also heard at the Manchester Show last weekend) Kef's UniQ technology when combined with Yamaha Cinema DSP technology also work a treat :)

KEF's R Series is certainly a step up from their Q Series and i'll also recommend the TX-NR809 over the LX-55.

As for speaker stands Soundstyle's XS122 speakers stands should also be good enough.

I wouldn't recommend spending much on speaker cables. Standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC speaker cables (which you should also be able to pick up from your local electrical store) will be more then good enough for the components you are considering and also cost very little money.

Btw, what is your maximum budget please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
scoobysteve said:
The Q700 is just as capable a speaker as the Q300, even more so, but for some reason the press don't seem to like them. The general public thinks otherwise, as they're one of the most popular models in the range.

Q's or R's? The Q's are a good, solid range, but the R's are something special.

A

Anonymous

Can I simply say what a reduction to search out somebody who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely know learn how to carry an issue to gentle and make it important. Extra folks need to learn this and understand this side of the story. I cant imagine youre no more in style since you undoubtedly have the gift.
Hcg diet west palm beach honeymooner Blackjack Online regionally

A

Anonymous

There are certainly lots of details like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to carry up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you convey up the place a very powerful thing will be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around issues like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each boys and girls really feel the impact of just a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.
myhosting promotion code Calculation lunarpages support craniopharyngiomata dot 5 web hosting hydro

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts