£2000-£3000 budget hi fi set up. advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Requirements-Amp, floorstanding speakers, cd player

Main uses, streaming flac lossless files using sonos system and occasional cd usage.

Types of music easylistening, clasical, soul, som light rock and pop.

Mainly to be used in large conservatory and garden in summer.

Looking at Speakers-PMC GB1i, Amphion Helium 520, B&W 684

Amps-Cyrus 6xp

Cd-Cyrus cd 6se, creek destiny

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks inadvance

Priority is in speakers and amp but a nice cd player to go with it would be nice at the top end of budget.

Mind isnt set to any of the particulars mentioned, justitems that caught my eye when I was looking for the best in each catogory at the £1000 per item mark.

A

Anonymous

If you get a chance have a listen to the Musical Fidelity M3i amp and M3cd.

A

Anonymous

I would consider a good DAC essential and then use a s/h CDP as a transport if computer based music is your priority.

The amps that include DACs such as Cyrus 8xpd especially with Q module would be good. Some standalone DACs include volume control so might pair with a power amp.

Speakers are very much a personal taste so demoing is a priority. Spendor are certainly worth a look but also consider ATC and Dynaudio too. I think your budget is too much for excellent budget B&W and too little for their better speakers i.e. CM7 or 800 series.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Singslinger:

Yes, I'd agree with Peter - the new Musical Fidelity M3 range is worth a closer look, especially the amp.
Plus 1, maybe try with Monitor Audio GS20 spkrs

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Will look into prioritising the amp and speakers over cd player, I guess Ican live without the cd player till budget allows one one or i see one second hand.

will look into the musical fidelity range to see if its too my taste.

would i need to connect the cyrus 8xpd with a power amp? i havent really looked into that model just the cheaper 6xp

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
no the 8xpd is an intergrated the same as the 6xp but it has a bit more welly and a dac module which you could use to connect your sonus system, laptop or any other digital source

edit, unless you meant streaming wirelessy.

A

Anonymous

I would agree with some second hand gear, especially were cd player is concerned. I once owned the Arcam cd192, retailed at £900 and sell for around £350 on ebay. you'll find it difficult to beat that for £350 ish and it will make a small dent in your budget. it's a great player with all types of music. Spendor a5(1500 new) are great, I auditioned these at home, but didnt buy..... massive sound and weighty bottom end(against wall with neighbours wasn't a good choice for me). single wired to, less to spend on speaker cable! as for amp...... I dont know, something with a bit of power, 30-60 watts might not be enough for garden parties.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd be tempted to listen to other DACs with other amps as well as the Cyrus, it's all down to personal preference. Whilst some people love the Cyrus sound, I don't get it. You just have to audition to see what sound you like and how different components interact with each other, it's as much about synergies and system matching as anything else.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Issue before last had an Audiolab CD which had digital inputs. Can't remember the model number, but it walked off with 5 stars and was around £700/£800 IIRC.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Just a suggestions:

I would look at Moorgate Acoustics "Reprocessed" Cyrus boxes. These have been used as demo units for a few months then returned to the factory, checked etc then resold as "reprocessed". Bought my Cyrus Pre Xpd this way. Excellent savings and full warranty.

The Cyrus 6SE is a lovely CD player - have one - can't hear the difference compared with the 8SE!

Would agree that re: the Cyrus 8XPd - significant improvement in power etc. over the 6XP and the on board DAC is no slouch (same as in my Pre XPd) and can be upgraded. At Moorgate Acoustics, there is a repro one for GBP 1099. (I am so jealous of the prices you have in the UK - had to pay AUD$350 in customs plus GBP 200 to get mine to Australia and was still cheaper +++ than here!)

Cheers,

D

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
eternaloptimist:
I would look at Moorgate Acoustics "Reprocessed" Cyrus boxes.

Wow - Ive just had a look at Moorgate Acoustics, picked myself up a PSX-R for £350. Very happy with that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts