£200 CD player - advice sought!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My trusty Cambridge Audio Azur 540C died last night (plays CDs for about 20-25 secs then goes into permanent pause...) so I'm on the lookout for a replacement. £200 to spend (may stretch to £250). Remains of the hi-fi are Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amp, Kef Cresta 3 speakers (oh, and the Thorens TD160). Any recommendations from the masses out there? Richer Sounds don't seem to have much on offer at the moment....

A

Anonymous

It would, but I forgot to add that I'm after a player that can handle mp3 as well, which the Cambridge doesn't. A good friend often provides me with mp3 files of stuff to try out, prog rock/metal mainly, which saves buying the CD and finding out you hate most of it!

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
the new yamaha c-s300 or marantz pm6003 if your budget can stretch that far can handle mp3's. Dont know if they will match the amp you are using. Believe Richer sounds sell both so you could always demo them there. just checked richer sounds and they are also selling the 740c for £199.99. I believe this player was around £400 at one stage. Not sure if it plays mp3's but im sure richer sounds will be able to advise or not if you call in.

A

Anonymous

Leffemonster:My trusty Cambridge Audio Azur 540C died last night (plays CDs for about 20-25 secs then goes into permanent pause...) ..

Have you cleaned the lens? I had one that did that, lump of dust on the lens.. worth a look :)

A

Anonymous

Agree re cleaning the lens, alchohol is ideal, some gin on a cotton handkerchief.

Otherwise I also agree re the choices the Yamaha or Marantz.

My concern with the PM6003 is that it looks good today though will the styling date?

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:Childs1962:

My concern with the PM6003 is that it looks good today though will the styling date?

????

I mean that while the classic looking Yamaha will look good still in a couple of years the Marantz might look a little dated by then, not a problem if you upgrade regularly though I reckon my next CD player might be my last.

I am interested in both the players hence my comments, I am going to try to call into Richer Sounds today to take a closer look.

A

Anonymous

NAD c515...
emotion-21.gif

Leffemonster:My trusty Cambridge Audio Azur 540C died last night (plays CDs for about 20-25 secs then goes into permanent pause...) so I'm on the lookout for a replacement. £200 to spend (may stretch to £250). Remains of the hi-fi are Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amp, Kef Cresta 3 speakers (oh, and the Thorens TD160). Any recommendations from the masses out there? Richer Sounds don't seem to have much on offer at the moment....

http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players-recorders-dacs-cassette-decks/cambridge-audio/azur-640c-v2/camb-640c-v2-blk

Have a look at this.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Childs1962:Sizzers:Childs1962:

????

I mean that while the classic looking Yamaha will look good still in a couple of years the Marantz might look a little dated by then, not a problem if you upgrade regularly though I reckon my next CD player might be my last.

I am interested in both the players hence my comments, I am going to try to call into Richer Sounds today to take a closer look.

I was only curious as the design as been around a while since the 5003 and to my eyes still looks good. How dated does the typical oblong box look?

To my eyes my Focal speakers look totally pig ugly - an eyesore to be honest - but they sound absolutely fabulous. CDP wise I don't have much to compare the Marantz with to be honest, but it is a cracking player.

A

Anonymous

Off to road test the 640C and 740C shortly, my local store (well, local to work) has both in stock.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:Childs1962:Sizzers:Childs1962:

????

I was only curious as the design as been around a while since the 5003 and to my eyes still looks good. How dated does the typical oblong box look? To my eyes my Focal speakers look totally pig ugly - an eyesore to be honest - but they sound absolutely fabulous. CDP wise I don't have much to compare the Marantz with to be honest, but it is a cracking player.

Actually I reckon I have changed my mind, I have looked at the Marantz in the flesh this afternoon it it looks great. Mmm ...

A

Anonymous

Leffemonster:Off to road test the 640C and 740C shortly, my local store (well, local to work) has both in stock.

Neither handle MP3 though as far as I am aware.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Cambridge Audio 350C, Denon DCD 500 or 510AE, Marantz CD 5003, you can find good new and mint used players on ebay

A

Anonymous

Well, the 640C turned out to be a damaged ex-demo model and the 740C couldn't be found. Anyway, went to my local (to home) Richer Sounds today and considered the Marantz CD5004, Cambridge Audio 350C and Topaz CD10, and Onkyo C-S5VL. Eventually settled on the Onkyo, sounds punchier than my old 540C. Dream Theater's "In the Presence of Enemies Part 1" from Systematic Chaos sounds better than ever - and I'm one happy punter again!

Thanks to all for the advice, and happy listening...

T

the record spot

Nice choice. It also handles SACD too, in case you want to explore some recordings on that format.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tibor,

I have read your opinion in NAD C515 topic. May I have some question about your NAD CD player? I have bought this one yesterday. It is brand new. On stand-by(no CD inside, no power up) it has a low noise which comes from the power supply....It is very annoying mainly at night. Perhaps the transformer. ..Does(Did) your device have the same noise?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.: are you Hungarian?:)

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
In my last Nad cd player (I sold it) the source of noise was the Sony mechanism spinning the disc making tic-tic-tic.........., very annoying at low volume listening. My NAD C 525BEE player it has the same problem. NO MORE NAD CD PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your NAD has transformator noise: Hmmmmmmmm

p.s. I am from Szeged

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts