Budget CD player to replace Azur 340C

trobot23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

My Cambridge Audio Azur 340C has finally given up the ghost, skipping all over the show! I'd like to replace it with another budget CD player (under £200). I looked at the AC Topaz CD10 but can't seem to find any reviews... Also it seems you can pick up a TEAC for crazy cheap on ebay (CD-P1160).

Does anyone have any recommendations for this price bracket?

I play a bit of everything from folk to free jazz. CDs aren't my main thing as I usually stream or listen to vinyl or cassette but it's good to have a solid budget player. :)

Thank you for your assistance!

Owen

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The sansui got 4 stars at £200 in a WHF review a couple of years ago. I have seen it in several stores for under £100 and might fit the bill.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sansui-cdd-201v

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Unlucky, mine is still going strong - really good budget player. For an extra £50 why not get the CA 351C. I really wouldn't bother with the Topaz, go for the Azur range. For less than £200 - Yamaha CD300, Onkyo C7030, Denon DCD720AE.

By the way before you get rid of it -try a lens cleaner to see if that stops the skipping.

matthewpiano

I agree fully with Blackdawn.

I used to have a 340C. Still one of the most enjoyable CD players I've had. I actually bought a 351C about 12 months ago. Sounded lovely, but had issues with the CD draw and got the Denon DCD720AE instead. Overall I'd say they were pretty equally pegged.

The Topaz range is tosh. Steer well clear.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
if you can get another £ 50 Sevenoakes hi-fi are selling the NAD C516 B EE on ebay for £250 free delivery. You get full warranty from the dealer and its a great sounding player prob best budget player at the moment

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A Blu-Ray or universal player might be a better bet and allow you to use the variety of 'higher resolution' discs available. They also frequently have networking capability and so, offer far more value for money and flexibility.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Look at the Denon DCD720 or the Onkyo CD7030. As for a universal player, the Denon UBT1713 is within reach of your budget and maybe a good alternative.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I would not go down the bluray or universal player route. you will get less for your money that way... A dedicated cd player will sound better than a bluray DVD player this is because it cost more to produce a blu ray player so a £ 200 CD player will sound better than a £300 DVD BLU-RAY player

You will have to buy a £400 plus Blu-ray DVD player to match a Dedicated Stereo CD player

T

the record spot

Couldn't disagree more. Speaking as someone who has used a £100 Sony universal payer against a £600 Marantz and currently uses the players you see below. This is hifi mythology.

dalwen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Agree with RS.

my 2 budgetplayers sound the same. The only advantage with a cd player is that they are more silent when listening at low level(no fan noises)

Another point: the Denon BDT1713, isnt't that a transport only, so connecting it to a amp without a DAC would not work? Am I right?

matthewpiano

My Sony BDP-S363 isn't a patch on any of my dedicated CD players. It is less slick to use and sounds considerably less convincing across a wide range of discs. I'd love nothing more than to be able to cut down on the box count and use my Blu-ray player for CDs but I'm not prepared to put up with the compromised sound. Maybe other BD players are different...

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
My Sony BDP-S363 isn't a patch on any of my dedicated CD players. It is less slick to use and sounds considerably less convincing across a wide range of discs. I'd love nothing more than to be able to cut down on the box count and use my Blu-ray player for CDs but I'm not prepared to put up with the compromised sound. Maybe other BD players are different...

Using a Blu-ray player to listen to CDs is never going to sound as good as using a dedicated CD player no matter what the blu-ray player is. You owe it to yourself as a classical music lover Mr matthewpiano to get the highest quality from those CDs.

matthewpiano

MrReaper182 said:
matthewpiano said:

Using a Blu-ray player to listen to CDs is never going to sound as good as using a dedicated CD player no matter what the blu-ray player is. You owe it to yourself as a classical music lover Mr matthewpiano to get the highest quality from those CDs.

Oh, don't worry I've no intention of using a Blu-ray player, certainly not on what I've heard from them playing CDs.

Dedicated player all the way for me.

T

the record spot

As a regular player the transport mechanisms can be a pain or noisy, but having used regular and universal players side by side for a few years now, their audio qualities can't be written off quite so easily I feel. The Sony BDP-S370 was an excellent disc spinner but it's transport was noisy. The Denon DVD3930 was very fine, the current Marantz UD7007 is no different. All would sit well against dedicated CD players (and do).

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Before trying to buy a new player I would spend a few mins and look on the net to fix skipping CD players. You might be able to fix it yourself or ask a friend.

Otherwise the obvious choice if you like the CA sound is the 351C, in budget last time I checked.

TRENDING THREADS