£%00 budget upgrade options

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Currently running Rega Saturn -> Chord Chorus 2 -> Naim Nait XS -> Naim Nac A5 -> Rega R3

and

Beresford caiman -> Chord Chameleon -> Naim Nait XS -> Naim Nac A5 - > Rega R3

and

Rega P3 ortefon 2m blue cartridge - > Rega phono mini -> Naim nait Xs - > Naim Nac A5 - > Rega R3

Is there any upgrade I can make for £500 that will make a substantial difference?? or am I looking at at least twice that?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
at a guess, i'd say the speakers would be the weak link but prob looking at a lot more cash to improve. maybe get the caiman modded? maybe you could pick up a 2nd hand or ex dem ps audio power regenerator or similar?

True Blue:

Currently running Rega Saturn -> Chord Chorus 2 -> Naim Nait XS -> Naim Nac A5 -> Rega R3

and

Beresford caiman -> Chord Chameleon -> Naim Nait XS -> Naim Nac A5 - > Rega R3

and

Rega P3 ortefon 2m blue cartridge - > Rega phono mini -> Naim nait Xs - > Naim Nac A5 - > Rega R3

Is there any upgrade I can make for £500 that will make a substantial difference?? or am I looking at at least twice that?

Is there any aspect you dislike or think could be improved, TB?

tricky question - the only area that springs to mind is better speakers, but you are looking at closer to £900. I've seen on ebay (assuming you're prepared to consider that route) PMC DB1S are selling for about £500.

There's a couple of pairs of PMCs on there at the mo: TB2+ currently £515 just over a day to go & DB1S currently £175 with 4 days to go (both in black).

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
thanks guys.

TBH I have been thinking the speakers are a weak link for a while. +£1000 components & £600 speakers.

Dont particularly dislike anything just could do with a bit more "wow" factor

Am not discounting bookshelf speakers but really like the Rega - Naim - Synergy

So thinking of Rega Rs5's????

A

Anonymous

What about my favorite, a big slab of splendor speaker..

A

Anonymous

For £500-£600 you could possibly get a pair of old IMF TLS80 speakers in good condition .... none on ebay at the moment but will be worth the wait

these are 4 way transmission design speakers .... would be a good upgrade for your budget

T

the record spot

A better cartridge for that P3 - Audio Technica moving coil OC9-MLII perhaps? Assuming it works well with the P3 arm.

Likewise, the better speakers call, but you're looking at going down the used route.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Replace all Plug and component Ac inlet fuses with either Hifi Tuning or Isoclean fuses.

Start off by replacing the amp's power cord fuse and Ac inlet fuse. This will only cost around £40.

If you like the results(i think you will) then do the same for your source components and then find out if your amp has any internal fuses or speaker output fuses and replace those.

I did this with my system and the transformation in sound was staggering.
It was like the amp gained another 50watts of power and the cd player had a Dac upgrade.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:
thanks guys.

TBH I have been thinking the speakers are a weak link for a while. +£1000 components & £600 speakers.

Dont particularly dislike anything just could do with a bit more "wow" factor

Am not discounting bookshelf speakers but really like the Rega - Naim - Synergy

So thinking of Rega Rs5's????

I'm in agreement.

Sell the Rega R3's and look to buy the Rega RS5's
emotion-5.gif

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
seems like you just want to upgrade for the sakes of it if you just want more 'wow' factor.

spend a bit of time discovering some new music, hearing a great album for the first time or finding a new band you like will make you go 'wow' a lot more than a hardwear upgrade ever will !!!!!!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL:Replace all Plug and component Ac inlet fuses with either Hifi Tuning or Isoclean fuses.Start off by replacing the amp's power cord fuse and Ac inlet fuse. This will only cost around £40.If you like the results(i think you will) then do the same for your source components and then find out if your amp has any internal fuses or speaker output fuses and replace those.I did this with my system and the transformation in sound was staggering.It was like the amp gained another 50watts of power and the cd player had a Dac upgrade.

Already done :) and installed dedicated radial circuit.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
basshead:
seems like you just want to upgrade for the sakes of it if you just want more 'wow' factor.

spend a bit of time discovering some new music, hearing a great album for the first time or finding a new band you like will make you go 'wow' a lot more than a hardwear upgrade ever will !!!!!!!

wow was possibly not the best description on my part sorry, buy tons of music including vinyl goodies/random picks from my local emporium.

Possibly a more "attacking and dynamic" sound without losing out on detail

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
True Blue:
MattSPL:Replace all Plug and component Ac inlet fuses with either Hifi Tuning or Isoclean fuses.Start off by replacing the amp's power cord fuse and Ac inlet fuse. This will only cost around £40.If you like the results(i think you will) then do the same for your source components and then find out if your amp has any internal fuses or speaker output fuses and replace those.I did this with my system and the transformation in sound was staggering.It was like the amp gained another 50watts of power and the cd player had a Dac upgrade.

Already done :) and installed dedicated radial circuit.

Ok good stuff

My next suggestion is to try a Ps audio power cord.

This will mean replacing a socket with a US one from Isoclean or other make as the Ps audio cables come with US plugs.

I have 2 of their Premier sc cables. I replaced a pure silver cable that has a wattgate 350i and MK silver plug with one of these Ps audio cables and gained huge improvements in Bass power and resolution, quieter background, sweeter high's and seemingly louder amplifier performance at any given setting.

Their new top of the range cable called the Ac-12 replaces the Premier sc, but the slightly cheaper Ac-10 is supposed to outperform the premier sc.

All can be had on ebay for well below RRP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts