Rega Turntable - Cartridge Upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The only problem with changing this cartridge is I think I'm now feeling the first itches of upgraditis.

I keep thinking "if just changing the cartridge makes it sound that good, imagine if I got a new turntable, with a better phono stage and a dedicated stereo amp and and...".

Damn, I've managed to avoid this for TEN YEARS!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:Also i like it visually too. Ortofon make great looking cartridges...

Yeah they also seem made to visually match the shape of the Rega headshell....

3228548240_d0ebda884e_o.jpg

(Spoilt a little by the 2M Red writing on the side from when I upgraded. Now owned by 'True Blue' which is apt.)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
chebby - your own upgrade at the time (a fair while back now) was partly responsible for my own - although it took me a while to get there as it was slightly lower priority than the wadia / dac.

however it is now done and baring me wanting to upgrade / change all over again (noting your Harbeth post chebby !) i am very happy with all the sources i have now.

i like the variety me, not limiting myself to one source is enjoyable - for instance going back to playing vinyl after a long absence was actually really fun and part of the hobby experience.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
since i got my turntable i have pretty much only played my small vinyl collection during my shortish stints available for music playing

now this isnt because vinyl sound better or the fact i have better albums than cd's (i dont) but its the fact that i really enjoy getting out the record and putting on the table and watching it play while i listen

i never really thought that the action bit was very important until now - i think i must be a little strange :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:since i got my turntable i have pretty much only played my small vinyl collection during my shortish stints available for music playing now this isnt because vinyl sound better or the fact i have better albums than cd's (i dont) but its the fact that i really enjoy getting out the record and putting on the table and watching it play while i listen i never really thought that the action bit was very important until now - i think i must be a little strange :)

Join the club, there's something satisfying about putting the stylus on the record. LP covers are just more interesting than CD covers.

A

Anonymous

Well it arrived last week and I've been listening to (and buying!) more vinyl like a man possessed ever since. The sound is everything I was hoping for. The detail retrieval is up there with my CD192, and that unquantifiable vinyl-y warmth and organic loveliness is there in spades. Even my long suffering noise averse wife has started listening to records when I'm not looking!

I've even been doing geeky side by side comparisons of the same album on LP and CD, switching between channels. The remaster of The Joshua Tree is almost indistinguishable, a 35 year old copy of Tapestry is as clear as last year's CD remaster, and much more musical, and Hot Rocks by The Stones sounds rich and full, as opposed to weedy and tinny on CD. And for the concept album fans, Misplaced Childhood is glorious in its 1980s self reverential indulgence.

In case you were wondering, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shuggieb:

Well it arrived last week and I've been listening to (and buying!) more vinyl like a man possessed ever since. The sound is everything I was hoping for. The detail retrieval is up there with my CD192, and that unquantifiable vinyl-y warmth and organic loveliness is there in spades. Even my long suffering noise averse wife has started listening to records when I'm not looking!

I've even been doing geeky side by side comparisons of the same album on LP and CD, switching between channels. The remaster of The Joshua Tree is almost indistinguishable, a 35 year old copy of Tapestry is as clear as last year's CD remaster, and much more musical, and Hot Rocks by The Stones sounds rich and full, as opposed to weedy and tinny on CD. And for the concept album fans, Misplaced Childhood is glorious in its 1980s self reverential indulgence.

In case you were wondering, I'm very happy with the purchase.

I'm glad you like it. Did you buy the PSU and have you tried it with and without?

A

Anonymous

Hi LA,

Haven't got the PSU, but will probably get one in due course. Everybody seems to speak very highly of it, and of course it has the lazy speed change option
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts