Time for my CDP to go??

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
As many on here will be aware I spent a long time musing over which CDP to get and in the end got a Rega Saturn, stunning player.

But I have now "pimped" my Rega P2 with the white belt upgrade and the P3's glass platter. Together with the Ortefon 2m Blue and the Naim stageline, to put it politely it kicks the stuffing out of my Saturn.

Currently also have sonos fed into beresford caiman (lossless) and that is only ever so slightly behind the saturn.

Now the crux of the problem, do I sell and use the money towards the Naim DAC for the Sonos, or not sell.

T

the record spot

Nah, get a Systemdek 3D. It'll put your P2 in its place.
emotion-5.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Was going to fund the DAC from the sale of the saturn.........

The general concensus is that the Naim CDP's are better??

Suppose its demo time again...........Saturn + DAC, CDX2 +DAC, CDX2 on own

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
scene:Go for a pimped Sonos, because at the end of the day, I think the better DAC might start to show the limitations of the Sonos's circuitry. See the Audiocom website for what can be done
emotion-1.gif
. Sonos ZP90 mod

That quite interesting :), thankyou

scene

True Blue:
scene:Go for a pimped Sonos, because at the end of the day, I think the better DAC might start to show the limitations of the Sonos's circuitry. See the Audiocom website for what can be done
emotion-1.gif
. Sonos ZP90 mod

That quite interesting :), thankyou

's'ok
emotion-1.gif

I'm thinking I might swap out my existing ZP90 for one of these down the line, without Mrs. S noticing
emotion-5.gif
the upgrade...

A

Anonymous

Another option is to "mod" your beresford with better components, linear PSU etc.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

For not a helluva lot of money you get scarily close to the Naim Dac. Different, but not neccessarily worse.

One guy used his modded Caiman to imporove the Dac in his Logitech Transporter....which is a VERY high quality piece of kit.

I use my modded Caiman into my SB Touch playing lossless and 24/96 material.
Very good indeed!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you like an analogue sound, then try a Unison Research Unico CDE rather than a Naim.

It also has a digital in for an Airport Express or whatever.

Bargain ex demo here, nice people too.

http://www.ukd.co.uk/bargain_corner.asp

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:If you like an analogue sound, then try a Unison Research Unico CDE rather than a Naim.

After various disappointments with CD players from different brands (from 1986 through to 2009), my Naim CD player was the first one ever that I liked enough to finally be happy to get rid of vinyl. In fact True Blue has my last ever turntable and cartridge
emotion-1.gif

I don't know what you mean by 'an analogue sound'* because you didn't like vinyl when you tried it, but in my experience (Naim CD5i & CD5XS and NaimUniti) Naim CD players are superb and moreso when used with Naim amps.

True Blue has a Naim NAC202/NAP200/NAPSC/NACA5/HICAP2/STAGELINE based system. I would be suprised if he didn't like Naim by now given that that lot started with just a Nait XS !

*Hopefully not the old cliches about analogue/vinyl being 'warm' and lush' etc.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:I vote for selling the saturn and buying the Naim DAC. I definately don't think you should invest in another CDP.

emotion-21.gif
+1 for the Naim DAC...obviously...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
JoelSim:If you like an analogue sound, then try a Unison Research Unico CDE rather than a Naim.

After various disappointments with CD players from different brands (from 1986 through to 2009), my Naim CD player was the first one ever that I liked enough to finally be happy to get rid of vinyl. In fact True Blue has my last ever turntable and cartridge
emotion-1.gif

I don't know what you mean by 'an analogue sound'* because you didn't like vinyl when you tried it, but in my experience (Naim CD5i & CD5XS and NaimUniti) Naim CD players are superb and moreso when used with Naim amps.

True Blue has a Naim NAC202/NAP200/NAPSC/NACA5/HICAP2/STAGELINE based system. I would be suprised if he didn't like Naim by now given that that lot started with just a Nait XS !

*Hopefully not the old cliches about analogue/vinyl being 'warm' and lush' etc.

More musical and less analytical.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:I vote for selling the saturn and buying the Naim DAC. I definately don't think you should invest in another CDP.

That would be my choice as well... Simplify your setup and maximize performance - a turntable and a music server, rather than table, server and CD....

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Another vote for the Naim DAC or any other good DAC such as Ayre QB-9 or Berkeley Audio Design Alpha. My latest acquisition was the Naim CD5XS cd player and while I'm thrilled with its performance, I haven't been able to shake the niggling feeling at the back of my mind that I should have gone for a DAC instead.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
+1 for the dac here too.

No more changing cd's etc. I've not heard one but I reckon that dac would be on par with some very expensive cd players.

Can't you demo to do a comparison?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Slight update, have been looking into the whole modding my DAC or Zoneplayer and quite liking the thought. However I can only afford to get one modded (for the time being), so,

Modify the DAC

or

Modify the ZP90

A

Anonymous

True Blue:

As many on here will be aware I spent a long time musing over which CDP to get and in the end got a Rega Saturn, stunning player.

But I have now "pimped" my Rega P2 with the white belt upgrade and the P3's glass platter. Together with the Ortefon 2m Blue and the Naim stageline, to put it politely it kicks the stuffing out of my Saturn.

Currently also have sonos fed into beresford caiman (lossless) and that is only ever so slightly behind the saturn.

Now the crux of the problem, do I sell and use the money towards the Naim DAC for the Sonos, or not sell.

If your rega is a stunning player , then why get rid of it ? Just go with what you have or add a CA dac to it- if it works .

Another question . why the big hoopla on vinyl ? You make it sound that cd is totally inferior to records . I stated before in past posts that I owned an immense collection of records and just gave them away - admittedly I kind of regret . Cd has come along way and I don't miss vinyl . Why ? The sound of rice krispies coming out of your speakers is totally annoying and they take up too much space , Arguments I'm sure you heard before . Another note , my TT was a dual 714q .

I heard on a separate blog that " vinyalists will never admit to low end being less authoritative than cd ".

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
canuck2:True Blue:

If your rega is a stunning player , then why get rid of it ? Just go with what you have or add a CA dac to it- if it works .

Another question . why the big hoopla on vinyl ? You make it sound that cd is totally inferior to records .

Thanks for the response, firstly I already have a DAC (beresford Caiman), and I would not fancy putting my Saturn through that seeing as it has a better onboard DAC.

The point of the intitial point was, that when listening to music I tend to use my Vinyl source, as it sounds better to my ears. For all other listening I use my Sonos and beresford caiman DAC (background etc). So should I sell my CDP? and if so where would I best allocate the funds vinyl source or digital source. OR get a really good DAC like the Naim DAC and feed the Sautrn through that.

CD and Vinyl sound different. The only snap crackle and pop I have heard on my vinyl is a record which has not been cleaned. To my ears a clean well mastered vinyl easily outperforms a CDP, partially I think due to no uneccessary D to A proceeses occuring or the CD mastering "boosting" the volume / cutting down on the dynamic range.

A

Anonymous

Sound different in what way ? You have audio components that deal with this problem of dynamic range and the way you describe it , to me its just noise . I will politely say that record enthusiasts have been brain washed .

A

Anonymous

Almost forgot , cleaning records is an art in itself . I had vinyl that these pops and clicks are permanent . With advent of expensive record cleaning units are they reliable?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts