Question You're a millionaire

How much would you spend on Hi Fi?

• Total voters

jjbomber

A house and a pension fund make you a millionaire these days. My mate reckons you need £10million to have a millionaire lifestyle. Assuming the question means you have £1million spare cash to splash, I'd go for £50,000. Music is a large part of my life, so why not. Actually, if I added up all my systems at home, that's roughly where I'd be anyway.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Buying the necessary detached house, here in the South-East of England, would use up well over half of the budget.
(Sadly, In an attached house, any more than 2-3 grand on hi-fi and you're effectively into diminished returns).

You're right Dom, £10,000 would get something very decent, but I voted for £50,000 to avoid limiting any component choices 🙂

I doubt even being a billionaire could turn me into someone extravagant enough to spend more than that.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
It's all relative.

It depends on how much but if you have say 60m in the bank and a high regular income to match then 1m on a hifi is relative peanuts.

Outch it makes me wince saying it.

I'm not ashamed to say I'd go big.
Stupidly large horn loaded speakers maybe and a huge hall.

Now I know the value of room acoustics id be spending on that perfect room.
I know this as my bedroom/listening room strangles my hifi 😭

I love hifi that much id probably have different sets for different genres to boot.🙂

Reactions: Dom
Buying the necessary detached house, here in the South-East of England, would use up well over half of the budget.
(Sadly, In an attached house, any more than 2-3 grand on hi-fi and you're effectively into diminished returns).

You're right Dom, £10,000 would get something very decent, but I voted for £50,000 to avoid limiting any component choices 🙂

I doubt even being a billionaire could turn me into someone extravagant enough to spend more than that.
Yup, hi-fi would be way down on the pecking order.

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Post-pandemic there has been a rise in brick-and-mortar stores where one could audition different HiFi- setups from various manufacturers, including different Hi-Fi shows worldwide from the manufacturers themselves showcasing their products on display. Although, there aren't many dedicated Hi-Fi stores from reputed Hi-Fi manufacturers in cities, as one would easily find for other consumer electronics like smartphones. It would be wise to have auditioned before making a purchase based on the budget and also trade-in if eligible.

Reactions: nopiano

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I'd have a custom made acoustically treated big music room. In my new house that I'd buy. I'd also have dedicated and isolated power to the room.

In this would be a serious pair of floorstanders - I'd want to audition Art Impression Diamond Reference. I've owned some Arts before and they make stunning speakers.

These would be fed by a beautiful valve amp.

A seriously nice TT.

I'd keep my own phonostage.

Plus a very nice streaming front end.

I could easily overshoot £100k. The speakers alone would be a large chunk of that.

I'd keep my own system, as I'm very happy with it. That could move to the office, bedroom etc.

Reactions: nopiano

Steve983

May 31, 2014
Visit site
In the spirit of the question, if I was a millionaire and could have a detached house with a music room I could blast away like crazy spending easily way less than £10,000. The law of diminishing returns and all that. However it would be more fun to have multiple systems and experimenting with getting vintage gear restored to create different branded systems from different eras and playing with different combinations. Months of endless fun if you're into that kind of thing... :)

I don't believe that a system costing around £50,000 is actually worth it. Maybe the speakers but not the components.
£50k is the new £10k, hadn’t you heard? 🤣😉😛

Seriously though, having over decades built up a decent system, were I to replace it afresh with today’s equivalent it would go over £10k just with the speakers. Hence I voted ££50k.

Reactions: Revolutions and Dom

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, £10k isn’t a lot once you factor in some seriously good speakers.

Maybe £20k on hifi, £30k on a specially built hifi annex.

it would be more fun to have multiple systems and experimenting with getting vintage gear restored to create different branded systems from different eras and playing with different combinations. Months of endless fun if you're into that kind of thing... :)
I love the idea of having a few amps & speaker pairs with a switcher. Or a vintage setup & a modern one 😃

podknocker

If I was a millionaire, I think I would have better things to do than obsess about HIFI, or spend my time posting stuff on a forum about what I'd do if I was a millionaire. I'm obviously not a millionaire. If I was a millionaire, I would listen to Spotify, on my phone, through my Sennheiser HD600 cans, when and if, I was so bored with the trappings of being a millionaire, which would be very infrequently, I imagine. Aspiring to owning a great HIFI is perfectly normal, if you love music and don't have much money. If you have great wealth, I think you have other priorities and other ways of spending your money. I doubt there are many millionaires out there putting expensive HIFI anywhere near the top of their things to do. I think I'd rather drive a Lamborghini Revuelto round Europe, burning £20k of petrol every year. Far more fun. The only way to fully enjoy your music is to have a really clean power supply (solar panels converting DC to AC) and making sure you are situated on a piece of land not susceptible to earthquakes, because you don't want that lovely vinyl to skip, to skip, to skip, to skip, to skip, to skip. :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts