Your top 10 albums of all time.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
Having grown a bit more mature and wiser I think I'll have to disagree with you now. When I was a teen I absolutely loathed The Joshua Tree and thought Achtung was the best thing they ever did. Decades later I've now changed my mind - if anyone's really honest here the 2nd half of Achtung is really not up to snuff and not memorable at all. The first-half is a thing of brilliance but as a whole Joshua is undeniably the better album.

Just like Radiohead, I mean I really like Kid A, but I think its sister Amnesiac is actually the more consistent album, but overall their true masterpiece remains OK Computer.

I'm with you on Radiohead, but not on U2. I've never loathed The Joshua Tree. I just think that Bono is generally too up himself and the band tends towards tedious chugging, but on Achtung Baby the music has some real zip and the Bonster is more aware of his own arsiness.

Matt

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
My top ten.....

AC/DC - Back in Black - some awesome tracks!

Axe Attack! - A rock compilation album from my youth

REM - Automatic for the People

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

ELO - Discovery

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Radiohead - Ok Computer

The Skids - Scared to Dance

Be Bop Deluxe - Live! In the Air Age

10 came up very quickly...Top 100 next time??

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:
i wouldn't really rate one above another.

I would :) For me it has to be 'Selling England By The Pound'

OK, I admit Trespass, Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot have got a few low points? in amongst the many classic tracks. Selling England is excellent from start to finish but the Lamb is still my fav..

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Jonathan Cox said:
Agree with you TSOP is as good as Human (so are Ind Thought Patterns and Symbolic) and TSOP certainly the best produced. Heard three versions of Human yesterday, my original cd, and original and reissue on Spotify. Surprised to find I preferred original on Spotify to my cd. Reissue has too much bass in the mix, and a bit more than my cd on Spotify original version. Not heard any Death on vinyl, how do they compare can I ask?

The vinyl of TSOP is far more complete, with detail, space, low frequency, overall balance, dynamics etc etc etc that is all superlative. A friend of mine has the plain black vinyl and that actually sounds a little better than the red blood splatter, but that is not really a surprise. I haven't managed to find any of their other albums on vinyl that were in a good enough condition for me to buy, so TSOP is the only one I can comment on.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
Just like Radiohead, I mean I really like Kid A, but I think its sister Amnesiac is actually the more consistent album, but overall their true masterpiece remains OK Computer.

OK Computer kept top spot in my top 10 list for around a decade, but I don't tire of hearing Kid A and over time I've come to think Kid A is their greatest album.

For me Kid A is a more cohesive album than Amnesiac. Even its weakest moments work well in the overall piece. Amnesiac's got some of the best songs Radiohead have done (Pyramid Song, Knives Out). But Kid A has 'Idioteque'!

A

Anonymous

In no particular order...

Anathema - A Natural Disaster

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Demians - Building An Empire

Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Grey

Mostly Autumn - Passengers

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead

Riverside - Out of Myself

with honourable mentions for Opeth - Damnation, Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime and Wolverine - Still (amongst others, 10 is hard!!)

No live albums or compilations because that's a cop-out in my view LOL

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
jeff1967 said:
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:

OK, I admit Trespass, Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot have got a few low points? in amongst the many classic tracks. Selling England is excellent from start to finish but the Lamb is still my fav..

I think they all have merit, but it's a funny thing. 'Lamb' seems to be highly regarded by many, but to me (at least), it goes on a bit. I must admit to being a fan of pretty much everything that Genesis did, including 'Trick Of The Tail', 'Wind And Wuthering', 'Genesis' and 'Invisible Touch'. All have their own flavour, imo. It was interesting to note Tim Blake in your list ;)

Cheers...Freddy

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
My top ten albums is fairly fluid and changes regularly although there are one or two stalwarts that have become re-curring themes. This excludes classical recordings as I'd find it impossible if it didn't!

So, as of March 2014, here is my top 10, in no particular order.

Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker - Fire & Fortune

Strawbs - Hero & Heroine

Steeleye Span - Wintersmith

Camel - Moonmadness

Wishbone Ash - Argus

Ralph McTell - Not Till Tomorrow

Queen - Queen II

Barclay James Harvest - Everyone Is Everybody Else

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Supertramp - Breakfast in America

wow that read like a classic list, I will make sure I play every album on your list before this weekend.

Reactions: Babur72

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:

I think they all have merit, but it's a funny thing. 'Lamb' seems to be highly regarded by many, but to me (at least), it goes on a bit. I must admit to being a fan of pretty much everything that Genesis did, including 'Trick Of The Tail', 'Wind And Wuthering', 'Genesis' and 'Invisible Touch'. All have their own flavour, imo. It was interesting to note Tim Blake in your list ;)

Cheers...Freddy

I got into Genesis around 1980/81 after hearing Suppers Ready from Seconds Out on the Essex Radio Rock Show and after seeing The Old Grey Whislte Test Duke concert. The first albums i got were of course Seconds Out and 3 Sdes Live. I went on to get all the back catologue and when I first heard The Lamb I wasn't too sure about it but it grew on me each time i listened.

As for the other Peter Gabriel albums I don't think low points was really the right wording which is why i ? it but I have never been a big fan of Time Table from Foxtrot.

I would put And Then There Were Three as my least fav album but Down and Out and Deep In The Motherlode are a couple of my most fav tracks.

As for Tim Blake i was lent some albums twenty odd years ago and Magick has been one of my favs since then.

regards, Jeff

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:

Cheers...Freddy

Despite being a Genesis fan from the late 70's I feel those early albums sound a bit dated now, they are of a different era, and dare I say sond pretentious now? I much prefer Peter's earlier solo albums, the first 4 to be precise with 4 being my favourite. As for early - mid Genesis, My favourite is Wind and Wuthering. I'm sure others will disagree :grin:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
manicm said:

OK Computer kept top spot in my top 10 list for around a decade, but I don't tire of hearing Kid A and over time I've come to think Kid A is their greatest album.

For me Kid A is a more cohesive album than Amnesiac. Even its weakest moments work well in the overall piece. Amnesiac's got some of the best songs Radiohead have done (Pyramid Song, Knives Out). But Kid A has 'Idioteque'!

Weirdly I gave up with Radiohead after buying and hating Kid A :)

Tried again a few times but found it unlistenable. :(

Not to say it's bad, but I didn't, and still don't get it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:
Freddy58 said:
jeff1967 said:

Cheers...Freddy

Despite being a Genesis fan from the late 70's I feel those early albums sound a bit dated now, they are of a different era, and dare I say sond pretentious now? I much prefer Peter's earlier solo albums, the first 4 to be precise with 4 being my favourite. As for early - mid Genesis, My favourite is Wind and Wuthering. I'm sure others will disagree :grin:

Disagreement is a given when it comes to such subjective stuff.

I do still listen to"Selling England by the pound" and "Nursery Cryme" mind you.

I find the "Lamb dies down on Broadway" album too hit and miss.

As for "Wind and Wuthering", it, along with "Trick of the Tail", is mesmerising still, "One for the Vine" gets played especially often on my Spotify starred list along with "Mad Man Moon"

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
At the risk of this turning into a Genesis thread, 'The Lamb' is good but for me Nursery Cryme is an incredibly innovative album with Steve Hackett showing that technique that Edward Van Halen took to new levels. :rockout:

Seconds Out is one of the best live albums of all time.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess some of Genesis early stuff CAN seem a bit pretentious and dated. To me, this is where 'Selling England By The Pound' was a turning point. To me, it was much more considered and structured. A real feature for me was Hacketts guitar playing, I'm thinking 'Firth Of Fifth', incredible. And as for 'Cinema Show', well :)

Speaking of Steve Hackett, I intend to go see 'Genesis Revisited' in November :)

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Gusboll said:

If I play any Genesis now it does tend to be either Seconds Out or Three Sides Live (particularly the 'in The Cage, Cinema Sow, Slippermen part)

How about a top 10 Live albums thread?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll said:

Miss out "is one of" and you would be correct. I played Cinema Show this week and it still sounds exciting even though I have heard it hundeds of times.

Seconds Out would be my desert sland disc.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:
Gusboll said:
Freddy58 said:
Speaking of Steve Hackett, I intend to go see 'Genesis Revisited' in November :)

What's that all about Freddy?

It's his band. They play stuff from his time with Genesis :)

Here

Tour Dates

I havd tickets for Southampton, should be fantastic. I have watched Steve for over thirty years and he has always been excellent.

Just bought what seemed like 2 of the last 5 tickets available for Hammersmith Apollo - cheers Freddy!!

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
  • Everything But The Girl: Walking Wounded
  • U2: POP
  • Sting: Brand New Day
  • Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile
  • Najwajean: Till It Breaks
  • Judybats: Pain Makes You Beautiful
  • Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X
  • Ketama: De Aki A Ketama
Can I add a compilation?
  • Hôtel Costes, vol. 8
And a soundtrack:
  • Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
bluedroog said:
while I respect everyone's personal choice I need to vent, I just can't belive how U2 have, in my opinion of course conned so many people in to thinking they're a good band, I think they are just terrible.

I feel much the same about Fleetwood Mac. Screechy, whiney, awful.

Although I do like the F1 song (At least until after the F1 bit, then I can switch off).

I'll add "Unforgettable Fire" to my list...

:)
Boguth the unforgettable fire on vinyl when it came out in 1984 and thought it was tosh. Just bought it on remastered CD and realised that it was 30 years ahead of its time and i wouldnt like it until i was 46. Elvis presley and america is still dross tho.