Your Song/Track of the Day

Page 207 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Don't normally listen to organ music but, sometimes I make an exception. Played on the massive organ in Riga cathedral, Latvia. Good thing my headphones go deep :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXG9vnN-GI
On certain days of the week, many cathedrals in the UK have a time when they have a free organ recital or the organist just goes in and practices. The visitors who are in attendance can sit down and listen to it for free.
If you have the time, go and take advantage of the event. When I was a kid I would occasionally go to our local cathedral and listen to the organ playing. Of course, there is absolutely no substitute; the dynamics, tone and power are spectacular, along with the beautiful natural reverberation that envelops the listener.
CAUTION: You may go home and feel like throwing your hi-fi in the bin as there is no way it can replicate the real thing... not even close!
Don't forget to throw a few quid in the collection box on the way out, to help with the upkeep of the building and it's majestic instrument!

Last edited:

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
On certain days of the week, many cathedrals in the UK have a time when they have a free organ recital or the organist just goes in and practices. The visitors who are in attendance can sit down and listen to it for free.
If you have the time, go and take advantage of the event. When I was a kid I would occasionally go to our local cathedral and listen to the organ playing. Of course, there is absolutely no substitute; the dynamics, tone and power are spectacular, along with the beautiful natural reverberation that envelops the listener.
CAUTION: You may go home and feel like throwing your hi-fi in the bin as there is no way it can replicate the real thing... not even close!
Don't forget to throw a few quid in the collection box on the way out, to help with the upkeep of the building and it's majestic instrument!
I have two very naughty subwoofers but they don`t sound like the organ at my local 14th Century cathedral My2cents with 30+ foot high , 3-4 foot wide pipes !

The only time I hear high level undistorted bass is at my friends house in Bowness.
He has a 15 KW - 24 x 18" infinite baffle subwoofer built into the walls and ceiling in a push/pull isobarik configuration together with two Graham Holliman infrasonic resonators designed for large churches - it can do 6hz at well over 100 db cleanly and makes my 300 lb 528 litre Danley spud horn subwoofer which can do 10 hz at insane levels sound like a pocket transistor radio in comparison.
SVS say Infinite baffle bass is the best bass in World but you need a lot of space and money and time to custom build it together with wall and floor reinforcement plus extensive structural acoustic resonance treatment together with antimode parametric equalisers and fast DSP filters to flatten nulls and peaks etc.
It took my mate, Dave ten years to build it and we both think it was worth it - it doesn`t sound like Hi-Fi or home cinema at all - it sounds effortlessly real life - he won`t tell me how much it cost to build but I`m guessing silly money.
Naturally his house is detached and suitably far from the nearest neighbours.
Dave is a boat builder so he is very good with wood and his brother is a builder with a commercial architect background who also loves music so they collaborated on the bassy farmhouse haha !

The thing is with LLT (large low tuned) horn subwoofers and especially whole house infinite baffle subwoofer systems is they have so much headroom and efficiency they never sound strained or directional and quite small cone movements can generate astonishing realism without being one-note boomy or deafening at all.

I`ve played tenor sax since 1989 so I can appreciate these lovely Japanese ladies !

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts