Your Recommendations: New CD Player/Hi-Fi System

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I would suggest using a decent tube or valve amp if you really like listening to classical music and Sonus Faber speakers or anything that does'nt sound bright or tiring.:)

I think it would help if you named names, prices and London dealers, as I don't think tube or valve amps will mean much to Susie.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Ok, so it seems that surround would involve completely changing tack and would throw away what you've got in terms of Mac Mini and NAS. In which case, let's stick to stereo, and I'd suggest two things; a DAC/Headphone amp for the Senns such as a DACMagic Plus or Beresford, and a pair of KEF X300As for speaker duties, which are USB so involve the absolute minimum of faff. You should hear the X300As first as I haven't, though Mr Clough tells me they're very good.

This of course would parallel my own views, I would simply point out that the dacs you mention have good line outputs that would drive virtually any active speaker at this end of the market, so there is no absolute requirement for a digital (usb) input on the speakers. My own choice would be perhaps a little more ambitious, maybe an Audiolab Mdac and a pair of Genelec 8020 or 8030 models for example.

On the other hand, should a more conventional system system be required then perhaps a Universal player such as the Oppo mentioned above combined with a decent A/V amplifier, a Yamaha for example. Such a set up would allow you to connect pretty much anything, audio or visual and switch between them on the one unit. Plenty of people on here could offer specific recommendations, this is not my area of expertese.

With the player and amp chosen from recommended units, checking that they offer the functionality you require, then all you need to do is visit a decent dealer and audition suitable (conventional) speakers. Tell the dealer about your amp and most importantly how the speakers will fit into your room, a couple or three photos would not be a bad idea.

John Duncan

davedotco said:
On the other hand, should a more conventional system system be required then perhaps a Universal player such as the Oppo mentioned above combined with a decent A/V amplifier, a Yamaha for example. Such a set up would allow you to connect pretty much anything, audio or visual and switch between them on the one unit. Plenty of people on here could offer specific recommendations, this is not my area of expertese.

This was actually my initial thought, though the presence of the Mac Mini and its capabilites muddies the waters somewhat, and I chickened out.

If this were an option for consideration I'd go for a Yamaha receiver because I like them a lot, but because I like matching stuff I'd probably get something like the Yamaha BDA-1020 universal player. I still think the Cambridge I've got is pretty much best of breed as universal players go but if you want a matching receiver the Cambridge ones are stupid money.

John Duncan

davedotco said:
This of course would parallel my own views, I would simply point out that the dacs you mention have good line outputs that would drive virtually any active speaker at this end of the market, so there is no absolute requirement for a digital (usb) input on the speakers. My own choice would be perhaps a little more ambitious, maybe an Audiolab Mdac and a pair of Genelec 8020 or 8030 models for example.

You're right of course - if you're getting a DAC with a headphone ouput (and preamp volume control in the case of the DACMagic+ for sure, dunno about the others), you're open to a number of other small actives. Dynaudio BM5A would be an interesting choice for me, I'm still wavering on Genelec looks.

Do any of your DAC suggestions have a remote preamp volume davedotco? I guess you could manage that with Remote app but its presence would be important for me I think.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Do any of your DAC suggestions have a remote preamp volume davedotco? I guess you could manage that with Remote app but its presence would be important for me I think.

The Audiolab MDAC and the Naim DAC V-1 both have remote controlled volume. The new Audiolab QDAC doesn't.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:

You're right of course - if you're getting a DAC with a headphone ouput (and preamp volume control in the case of the DACMagic+ for sure, dunno about the others), you're open to a number of other small actives. Dynaudio BM5A would be an interesting choice for me, I'm still wavering on Genelec looks.

There are plenty of options from the likes of Benchmark and others but they tend to be pricey. If we leave aside system based product like Linn and Naim, then the more common UK models are from the likes of Audiolab and MF. Why the DacMagic + does not have a remote I cannot imagine.

If you are prepared to go somewhat 'off piste' then I would take a look at the Matrix models, particularly the Mini-I, not available through the normal retail channels but it can occasionally be found from uk 'internet retailers' for less than £250, does most of what an Mdac does for less than half the price.

Without wishing to mutter 'the A word', there is quite a nice product that could be fed from the digital out of the Dacmagic Plus, has its own volume control and has the advantage of being something of a 'conversation piece'.

Susie

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick hello and thanks to all just so you know I've not run away. Long day at work I'll get round to answering your posts after my bath. :wave:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Susie said:
Just a quick hello and thanks to all just so you know I've not run away. Long day at work I'll get round to answering your posts after my bath. :wave:

That's got me all in a lather......

Steady now!

smiley-frown.gif

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Susie said:
My Boyfriend and I are very much "sit back and chill" people. We like "Classical" music if that makes a difference to recomendations I'm not sure. We have a small room where our current sound system lives.it's roughly 12ft x 12ft and I would think this is any new system would go.

Susie, I would certainly recommend a pair of AVI speakers. They have their own built-in amps and are superb with Classical music. I was lucky enough to hear the new 'baby' speakers from AVI, the ADM5's (not sure if they've settled on that name yet). The sound from such a small speaker is huge and I listened to Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D Major, which sounded quite breathtaking. And this was without a subwoofer!

They're not quite released yet but, if I were in your position, I'd certainly short list them. The makers are in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire if you're ever in that neck of the woods and they're most hospitable. Failing that, I'm sure a set will make their way to their London dealers (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the shop name or not!)

You'd just need an Airport Express (that was the setup I saw) to act as a DAC and then stream the music through your wireless broadband (I assume everyone has this nowadays, especially in London!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts