Your pride and joy

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
(editted, 'Your system' too vague)

Just curious what TT (arm, cart, etc etc) you guys are using and more interestly, how long have you had it?

TT (arm, cart), AMP, Speakers

I'll start:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC, ortofon 2m red on 8,6" carbon arm (1 month, new listener)

RA-1570, B&W CM1

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I still see signatures on people's posts. The OP has one with his system listed, and yours reads 'Loads of second hand expensive kit! ' and so on. Do you not see them any more?

My system has somewhat changed since I last posted pictures. As my camera has gone up the shute there's little chance in the near future of posting updates.

Afraid to say my TT is very basic: Pro-ject Xpression 1 with a Ortofon cart. Very good for the money but nothing special.

thescarletpronster said:
I still see signatures on people's posts. The OP has one with his system listed, and yours reads 'Loads of second hand expensive kit! ' and so on. Do you not see them any more?

Yes I do. What I meant was that when their signatures were wiped many did not bother adding them back in again so quite a few people that had informative sigs now have 'blanks'

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
My system has somewhat changed since I last posted pictures. As my camera has gone up the shute there's little chance in the near future of posting updates.

Afraid to say my TT is very basic: Pro-ject Xpression 1 with a Ortofon cart. Very good for the money but nothing special.

I wouldn't quite call it basic, its a £600 table. Ortofon blue or higher?

Currently, on the analogue front, I have:-

Origin Live Aurora Gold with Illustrious Mk2 tonearm and Zyx R100-2 cartridge (lo-output moving coil), Tom Evans Audio Design 'Groove 20th Anniversary' phono pre-amp.

Tom Evans Audio Design 'Vibe' Preamp and 'Linear A' Power amp connected to Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers

All of these I have had for over 3 years with exception of the cartridge which is 1 year+

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
What I meant was that when their signatures were wiped many did not bother adding them back in again so quite a few people that had informative sigs now have 'blanks'

Ah. I get you now. Which leads to an embarrassing admission - I hadn't even noticed that my sig had disappeared. I'll add it now. Thanks!

My sig vanished too, and I haven't copied every precise detail, as it can be confusing and look a bot pompous. I too have some pics in my system somewhere!

Michell TechnoDec, Rega RB250 arm, Grado Black 1 cartridge

Rega fono preamp, Krell KAV-300i integrated amp

Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers (1997 model)

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/269/index.html "This is among the more musically satisfying loudspeakers I've heard at any price—with an outstanding combination of strengths and few weaknesses I could detect. I kept the Grand Pianos in my system for about four months and enjoyed every listening minute."

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Source: Analogue Works TT1 with Origin Live Alliance Tonearm, Cardas Cables & Nagaoka MP-200

Amplification: Onkyo A9000R as pre-amp, Onkyo M5000R as power amp

Speakers: QAcoustics Concept 40

Pondering replacing the Onkyo A9000R with the P3000R and obtaining an external phono stage.

boshk said:
plastic penguin said:

No, had mine since 2005. Original price £210, although the dealer gave me a tenner off. Bless.

Ortofon Red which cost £80. It replaced my ClearAudio Classic Wood Aurum cart. Just wish ClearAudio did replacement stylus.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
boshk said:
plastic penguin said:

No, had mine since 2005. Original price £210, although the dealer gave me a tenner off. Bless.

Ortofon Red which cost £80. It replaced my ClearAudio Classic Wood Aurum cart. Just wish ClearAudio did replacement stylus.

Goldring do, in GX line.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
boshk said:
plastic penguin said:

Goldring do, in GX line.

Sorry, you've lost there. "Goldring do" what?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
boshk said:
plastic penguin said:

Goldring do, in GX line.

...stylus replacement.*wink*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thorens TD160 still going strong here with original TP16 arm. Family owned from new, so about 40 years old I think, if not slightly more. It is waiting for a cartridge replacement, but prices in recent years have shot through the roof. I bought a Goldring 1006 brand new in the mid 90s for £35, I didn't use it much (found it too laid back in my setup at the time) and in about 1999/2000 I fitted it to my brother's Pioneer PL12D turntable. Five years later in a house-clearout my brother threw the PL12D in a skip with my 1006 still in it. Recently I was staggered to find the list-price for the same cartridge is now a whopping £155. (Actually I was just as staggered to find a cartridge I bought 20 years ago is still being sold new. Huge swathes of them will surely be old stock that's been sat around for 15+ years.)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thorens TD160 still going strong here with original TP16 arm. Family owned from new, so about 40 years old I think, if not slightly more. It is waiting for a cartridge replacement, but prices in recent years have shot through the roof. I bought a Goldring 1006 brand new in the mid 90s for £35, I didn't use it much (found it too laid back in my setup at the time) and in about 1999/2000 I fitted it to my brother's Pioneer PL12D turntable. Five years later in a house-clearout my brother threw the PL12D in a skip with my 1006 still in it. Recently I was staggered to find the list-price for the same cartridge is now a whopping £155. (Actually I was just as staggered to find a cartridge I bought 20 years ago is still being sold new. Huge swathes of them will surely be old stock that's been sat around for 15+ years.)

I can only speak for Goldring, but the GX range is still produced in the UK, no 20 years old stock...

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
boshk said:
plastic penguin said:

Goldring do, in GX line.

...stylus replacement.*wink*

I know Goldring do that. Unfortunately I have the Ortofon now.

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
A late-80s Linn LP12 with Basic Plus arm, K9 cartridge (with recent AT95E stylus replacement)....Recently resurrected, and still going strong. Must admit, am absolutely loving the ritual of putting on an LP and actually listening to a whole side rather than the 'instant gratification' of flicking through playlists!

More importantly, it's what I'm playing on it that I most enjoy...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Acylic, currently with a Nagaoka MP-110 attached as I cannot be bothered swapping back to my 2M Blue.

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Creek Sequel 40 phonoboard Creek Evo 2 CDP and Epos Elan 30 speakers.

SAM_3122_zps36adb175.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
DIB said:
A Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Acylic, currently with a Nagaoka MP-110 attached as I cannot be bothered swapping back to my 2M Blue.

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Creek Sequel 40 phonoboard Creek Evo 2 CDP and Epos Elan 30 speakers.

Those Creeks look the dogs.

How do you rate the Nago cart?

Cheers.

It's a top cart for sure, and for the price (circa £80 new) it's a no-brainer.

My Pro-Ject came with a 2M Blue which is also a superb cart in my opinion, but twice the price of the MP-110. I only bought my MP-110 as someone local to me on Ebay was selling a new one for £50 so I thought I'd buy it as a spare and also see what all the fuss was about. Like the 2M Blue, it tracks superbly, and again like the 2M Blue there is no hint of harshness, just a lovely clear sound. Since I fitted it 2 or 3 months ago I've really not been inclined to change back to the 2M Blue. That's no reflection on the 2M Blue, it's just such a faff messing about setting up carts correctly, that I can't be bothered basically.

A few years ago I used to have a 2M Red on an old Systemdek, and when I moved up to the 2M Blue the difference was very marked, a huge leap up in quality. When switching between the 2M Blue and MP-110 however, I didn't really detect that much difference if I'm honest, just both quality carts.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
plastic penguin said:
DIB said:

Cheers.

My Pro-Ject came with a 2M Blue which is also a superb cart in my opinion, but twice the price of the MP-110. I only bought my MP-110 as someone local to me on Ebay was selling a new one for £50 so I thought I'd buy it as a spare and also see what all the fuss was about. Like the 2M Blue, it tracks superbly, and again like the 2M Blue there is no hint of harshness, just a lovely clear sound. Since I fitted it 2 or 3 months ago I've really not been inclined to change back to the 2M Blue. That's no reflection on the 2M Blue, it's just such a faff messing about setting up carts correctly, that I can't be bothered basically.

A few years ago I used to have a 2M Red on an old Systemdek, and when I moved up to the 2M Blue the difference was very marked, a huge leap up in quality. When switching between the 2M Blue and MP-110 however, I didn't really detect that much difference if I'm honest, just both quality carts.

Agree 100% with the above; the Red is rather forward and bright but the Blue is a much more tonally balanced and sophisticated sounding cartridge. The MP-110 is open, airy and detailed and is at least the equal of the Blue-there's not much in it.: like DIB, I can't tell the difference. I've listened to all 3 carts on an LP12 and other decent decks and this was my conclusion. As DIB stated, the MP-110 is a no-brainer. Buy with confidence, PP!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
plastic penguin said:
DIB said:

Cheers.

Agree 100% with the above; the Red is rather forward and bright but the Blue is a much more tonally balanced and sophisticated sounding cartridge. The MP-110 is open, airy and detailed and is at least the equal of the Blue-there's not much in it.: like DIB, I can't tell the difference. I've listened to all 3 carts on an LP12 and other decent decks and this was my conclusion. As DIB stated, the MP-110 is a no-brainer. Buy with confidence, PP!

PP needs to save his money to buy a nice bluray player a CA or a Marantz...*wink*

TRENDING THREADS