Your pride and joy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
plastic penguin said:
DIB said:
A Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Acylic, currently with a Nagaoka MP-110 attached as I cannot be bothered swapping back to my 2M Blue.

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Creek Sequel 40 phonoboard Creek Evo 2 CDP and Epos Elan 30 speakers.

Those Creeks look the dogs.

How do you rate the Nago cart?

Cheers.

It's a top cart for sure, and for the price (circa £80 new) it's a no-brainer.

My Pro-Ject came with a 2M Blue which is also a superb cart in my opinion, but twice the price of the MP-110. I only bought my MP-110 as someone local to me on Ebay was selling a new one for £50 so I thought I'd buy it as a spare and also see what all the fuss was about. Like the 2M Blue, it tracks superbly, and again like the 2M Blue there is no hint of harshness, just a lovely clear sound. Since I fitted it 2 or 3 months ago I've really not been inclined to change back to the 2M Blue. That's no reflection on the 2M Blue, it's just such a faff messing about setting up carts correctly, that I can't be bothered basically.

A few years ago I used to have a 2M Red on an old Systemdek, and when I moved up to the 2M Blue the difference was very marked, a huge leap up in quality. When switching between the 2M Blue and MP-110 however, I didn't really detect that much difference if I'm honest, just both quality carts.

Agree 100% with the above; the Red is rather forward and bright but the Blue is a much more tonally balanced and sophisticated sounding cartridge. The MP-110 is open, airy and detailed and is at least the equal of the Blue-there's not much in it.: like DIB, I can't tell the difference. I've listened to all 3 carts on an LP12 and other decent decks and this was my conclusion. As DIB stated, the MP-110 is a no-brainer. Buy with confidence, PP!

PP needs to save his money to buy a nice bluray player a CA or a Marantz...*wink*

And a new TT. Hope to have both no later than Xmas.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP - Dont forget to make sure the Nagaokas get a look in this time - we did try to steer you and the MP110 can be had for £79.95 on ebay right now.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
DIB said:
Even better you can buy replacement styli for it - see http://www.soundfidelity.co.uk/products/nagaoka/ - so now you have the cartridge, it'll be even cheaper than the 2M Blue each time you need a new needle.

My system, bought at the beginning of last year, is as in my signature: a Rega setup (RP3 with Elys 2 cart, Brio-R amp and Apollo-R CD player, wired up to Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers. It's my first ever experience of hi-fi above entry-level, and I've been blown away by it. I've got used to it, so sometimes I don't notice the improvement so much, but even the other day I was playing a much-loved record and thought 'I'd never have heard that instrument before'.

I've fiddled around a bit with the TT, buying a white drive belt for it (definite increase in tightness and punch to the sound) and some platter and sub-platter dampening from SRMTech (subtle but I think real improvements). I've wondered about demoing the TT-PSU and Fono stage, but comments from some on here suggest that the phono stage in the Brio-R is essentially the same as that in the Fono and that the white drive belt gives much of the speed stability of the PSU. I might still do it.

My next plan is a cartridge upgrade at the end of this year. I have been drooling over a number of different ones online...

This new system has absolutely given me back a lot more joy in listening to music, so it was well worth the outlay. Of course now I've heard how much better equipment of this level can make recordings sound, I'm thinking (and trying not to think) about what I can do to make it sound even better. I'd love a GyroDec, but, but...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
DIB said:
Even better you can buy replacement styli for it - see http://www.soundfidelity.co.uk/products/nagaoka/ - so now you have the cartridge, it'll be even cheaper than the 2M Blue each time you need a new needle.

My system, bought at the beginning of last year, is as in my signature: a Rega setup (RP3 with Elys 2 cart, Brio-R amp and Apollo-R CD player, wired up to Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers. It's my first ever experience of hi-fi above entry-level, and I've been blown away by it. I've got used to it, so sometimes I don't notice the improvement so much, but even the other day I was playing a much-loved record and thought 'I'd never have heard that instrument before'.

I've fiddled around a bit with the TT, buying a white drive belt for it (definite increase in tightness and punch to the sound) and some platter and sub-platter dampening from SRMTech (subtle but I think real improvements). I've wondered about demoing the TT-PSU and Fono stage, but comments from some on here suggest that the phono stage in the Brio-R is essentially the same as that in the Fono and that the white drive belt gives much of the speed stability of the PSU. I might still do it.

My next plan is a cartridge upgrade at the end of this year. I have been drooling over a number of different ones online...

This new system has absolutely given me back a lot more joy in listening to music, so it was well worth the outlay. Of course now I've heard how much better equipment of this level can make recordings sound, I'm thinking (and trying not to think) about what I can do to make it sound even better. I'd love a GyroDec, but, but...

Go for a cartridge first - the best Nagaoka you can afford, then the TT PSU - it does make a signifacant improvement IMO

Sounds like your getting addicted - similar to me!

2 years ago I wanted to try vinly so got a used a RP1 - I was hooked, then went onto an RP3, RP6 and now have a Gyrodec SE with RB303 arm and Benz Micro Ace and I love it !

TRENDING THREADS