Your most recent gig

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Stanley Clarke , last night at Ronnie Scott's . It was absolutely fantastic !

Apart from Stanley himself the drummer Michael Mitchell was the star of the show , his speed , power and rhythm were beyond words !

I just found a video of Michael Michell do his thing *biggrin*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jATNRR5ePcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daI-OIFEJv0

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Wow. For £11, that was astonishing value for money! I wasn't expecting two support acts...

Like the Royal Blood gig a couple of weeks ago, this gig has unearthed an interesting new band. Witchrider kicked off the evening, very enjoyable, and along similar lines to Truckfighters. I had actually heard of these before as they were featured on the album "Truckfighters vs Witchrider", an album with both bands on, like another they did, "Truckfighters vs Firestone".

The surprise of the evening though was White Miles - one guy on the drums and a very enthusiastic girl on lead guitar and vocals. Rock/punk. Imagine Placebo only heavy. Again, like Royal Blood, they produce a lot of sound for two instruments, but the energy these two play with make Royal Blood look like Pink Floyd. I think the sound helped these two sound brilliant too - just the right level, not too loud, not too quiet. If they ever come back to the UK (they're from Madagascar), I'll certainly be paying to see them again. I'll be picking up their album too.

And Truckfighters were brilliant. At various points of the evening, they joined each other for some tracks - one guy from Witchrider joined White Miles on vocals for a track, and for White Miles' final two tracks, the Truckfighters drummer joined in, so there were two drummers playing (in perfect synch too). The Witchrider guy joined Truckfighters for a track, and as this was the last gig of their tour, everyone just piled on stage and started throwing water around and bouncing about - they all really looked like they were enjoying themselves together, unlike some bands!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers david

havent heard any of those bands, but have just managed a quick listen to a couple of Truckfighters tracks on spotify (Mind Control & Desert Cruiser), and I'll def have a proper listen later.

No White Miles on spotify, hopefully there will be something on YouTube.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm off to see the Matt Schofield Band supported by Ben Poole next week.

Blues heaven.

PS: All for £17 too. Compare that with the ridiculous prices being asked by Joe Bonamassa in 2015 (Upwards of £130 up to over £500). Good god man, no one's worth that.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:

I could've bought their debut double album there and then for £20, but thought I'm bound to find it on the list of one of the many record companies we deal with - after a check this morning, unfortunately not!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Peter White , last night at the Jazz mix ,Cliffs Pavilion Southend on Sea .

Live music at it's best .*i-m_so_happy*

These video's will give you an idea of what it was like .*smile*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QESvvA7qY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2ApuLPIoE

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
If you like AC/DC, and don't mind tribute acts, check out 'Hells Bells'. Saw them a few weeks ago, and they rock! They are pretty much constantly on tour, so should be coming to a town near you at some stage
thumbs_up.gif

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
richardw42 said:

I could've bought their debut double album there and then for £20, but thought I'm bound to find it on the list of one of the many record companies we deal with - after a check this morning, unfortunately not!

ive been listening to Fake Smile on YouTube a lot since yesterday. Could be my new favourite band :)

to get their album you can email them via their website. This might be the only way to get it ?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Kasabian on Saturday night. Amazing performance, they really are on top of it at the moment. I can't pick a stand out moment as it was brilliant from the very start to the finish.

The support were a band called The Maccabees, didn't really do much for for me, although their last few songs were pretty good

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
ive been listening to Fake Smile on YouTube a lot since yesterday. Could be my new favourite band :)

to get their album you can email them via their website. This might be the only way to get it ?

I'm sure it'll crop up from one of our suppliers at some point...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:

I'm sure it'll crop up from one of our suppliers at some point...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Alec said:
Next May. You know, in case I forget.

I'd rather go to the Wembley show, and watch a 68 year old Iggy Pop show the Foo Fighers how to do it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Alec said:
supporting them in Manchester as I have my hopes, though they're probably more like pipe dreams.

You'd have thought they would have announced it by now.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Went to see the Cockney Rejects tonight (under pressure from my wife). I actually enjoyed it, and was quite impressed by the energy they put into the show.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I went along to an evening with radio dj/writer/journalist Stuart Maconie last night at Bury Met where he was primarily talking about his latest book, The People's Songs:The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records

A very entertaining evening was enjoyed by a packed house, and ended with the best defense of the move of the BBC up to Media City in Salford that I've yet heard. (not a fan of Giles Coren is our Stuart
regular_smile.gif
)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Ane Brun at the Shepherd's Bush Empire last night .

We arrived there to find a demonstration just across the road with police everywhere which was a bit worrying but I later found out it was part of the "die in demo" that was in the news .

We got in with no problems and the support Alice Bowman did a short session and was very good .

Then Ane Brun came on and we sat there spellbound and bewitched for the rest of the evening , she has the most amazing voice that is so pure and captivating it reaches your very soul .

Even my seventeen year old son grudgingly admitted that she was far better that he expected *biggrin* , there were a lot of young people in the audience probably in their early twenties which surprised me , she has a very wide fan base it seems .

For me it was most definitely " gig of the year " .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZdv039buc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so4wXo1eYg

This one is superb you might recognise the tune .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS_tWf7T2bM

And as a bonus I managed to pick up some tickets while I was there to see Robin Trower next year *yahoo* .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPEZf-ypX34

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Toyota Man, you reminded me about the Hyde Park gig in the Summer, so just bought my tickets. Should be good, The Who, Weller, Kaiser Chiefs and Johnny Marr, plus more bands to be announced. If we get the weather we had for Black Sabbath this year, it should be a great day out.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Madness in Birmingham last night.
I'd rate it as ok, if I hadn't seen so many great bands this year I might be more enthusiastic. It's always the case when the band has such a history they'll not do all the songs you want, but there was a few I'm really not that keen on (The Prince for one). They did a few of their more recent tracks but I'd have been happy with more.
As for the support, Scouting for Girls, really not my thing. I did recognise their final song, off Gavin & Stacey.
6/10.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts