Your most recent gig

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the caveat that I can be very glass half empty...

They were very good, but it poured down during the support acts, and got really cold. The rain stopped, the chill persisted.

IMO, they extend the songs to much, and they went out with a couple of relative lows, but overall I'm glad I saw it.

The MEN have reported attendance of 50K. I'm not sure about that, but I guess it can be hard to tell.

EDIT And I was tired even before they started. And I'm a grumpy sod when I'm tired.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
While the Foo's gig at Old Trafford was excellent, like Alec, I have a few issues. Dave Grohl said that the Foos had a lot of material they've produced over the past twenty years, and that they wanted to fit as much of that as possible in before they "kick us out". I didn't see any evidence of that. I agree Alec, a few tracks were unnecessarily extended, and to be honest, there were a few tracks that I'm surprised they included given the time constraint. At Milton Keynes in 2011, they were on for about 2 hours 45 minutes, and managed to fit in quite a lot of material, even stuff off the first album I never expected to hear. Last night they were on for about 2 hours 30 mins (unless someone can correct me), and there just seemed to be too much time wasting, chatting to the crowd, and playing songs I really have no desire to hear them play, regardless of how well they can play them (Queen's Under Pressure and a Rod Stewart song - sorry, don't know the name of it!).

When I saw them at Milton Keynes, we were fairly central, and it was a lovely hot summers day. Last night was cold. Luckily we were in the reserved seating underneath one of the ground's structures, so managed to avoid getting wet, but the strong wind that was howling through from behind us and underneath the structure was very chilling, and I couldn't get warm throughout the gig.

The other thing was that the MK gig sounded great. Due to the winds last night, the sound we were getting from the speakers off to the right of the stage was inconsistent - "in and out" so to speak depending on when the wind was blowing through and when it died down. I did find this a little annoying, so in future I'll try my best to avoid this issue, and stick to standing.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Despite the sound issue, and being freezing cold, I did enjoy God Damn. Promising, so I'll see if I can catch them at a smaller venue in Birmingham some time seeing as they come from Wolverhampton. Just two guys (like Royal Blood and early Bladk Keys) making a big noise. For me, the lead singer had a hint of Kurt Cobain about him here and there. Bought their album the other day, so look forward to getting to know it better.

Teenage Fanclub seemed a little "safe" for my tastes. But then, I wasn't really familiar with them 'in their day'.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The Snake Davis band , last night at the Jazz Mix , Cliffs Pavilion , Southend on Sea .

I am so lucky to live near a venue like this , the quality of the performers booked is amazing and the sound balance and acoustic is second to none .

Snake Davis was flawless as was the rest of the band , the standout for me was the bass player Simon Goulding who was phenomenal as was the rig he was using .

Here is a taster, but a slightly different line up.

Turn it up, this recording has dynamics ! *smile*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYYg90NKQE

Here is some info about Simon's amazing custom made bass guitar and rig .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AerlzA_rcs

And a demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkduKBqamk

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Judie Tzuke last night at the Pizza Express Maidstone .

Judie did a beautiful acoustic set with her two daughters Bailey and Tallula .

Truly wonderful !

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Electric Eel Shock tonight. Another highly entertaining Japanese band.

gallery_20140425-DSC_7622.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Suzanne Vega, last night at the Union Chapel, Islington .

Amazing , even better than I expected !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dc3Dy8ff48&list=PL4tFp-uI-bEnDDLjI04CD-uVeoAPJ6RvV&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDznfUohR8

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Dead Kennedys last night. Way, way better than I expected and definitely one of my top concerts this year.

Quite jealous. No Jello Biafra, but how about the other original members, are they still playing?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought the lead singer was brilliant.

The guitarist and bass player are original. The original drummer pulled out (don't know why) but the replacement drummer is in another group with him so prob a good reason.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
I thought the lead singer was brilliant.

The guitarist and bass player are original. The original drummer pulled out (don't know why) but the replacement drummer is in another group with him so prob a good reason.

As long as you've got Klaus Flouride and East Bay Ray, you've got the DK sound.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Who, Weller, Kaiser Chiefs, Johnny Marr at Hyde Park yesterday, unfortunately we missed Gaz Coombes.

All was good, didn't really watch Weller, but he sounded good, with 3 Jam tracks in the set.

The Who were better than I was expecting, amazingly tight, but with a real edge too. Really enjoyable.

A few gripes. Queues for the toilets and bars were stupidly long at times, and the thing that really left a sour taste, was the system of sectioning the crowd so all the people with standard tickets weren't allowed anywhere near the front. I was stood at the entrance to one of the expensive ticket sections, and I was absolutely angered by the amount of people constantly pouring out during The Who's set. Most of them looked like they's rather be at a Robbie Williams concert, and only there for the kudos of going to see The Who, rather than actually seeing The Who. Townsend commented on the fact that most of the people at the front didn't seem to know any of the songs, and though he said later he was only joking, I'm sure he meant it, and whether he meant it or not, he was absolutely spot on, as the procession of chinless wonders proved.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Who, Weller, Kaiser Chiefs, Johnny Marr at Hyde Park yesterday, unfortunately we missed Gaz Coombes.

All was good, didn't really watch Weller, but he sounded good, with 3 Jam tracks in the set.

The Who were better than I was expecting, amazingly tight, but with a real edge too. Really enjoyable.

A few gripes. Queues for the toilets and bars were stupidly long at times, and the thing that really left a sour taste, was the system of sectioning the crowd so all the people with standard tickets weren't allowed anywhere near the front. I was stood at the entrance to one of the expensive ticket sections, and I was absolutely angered by the amount of people constantly pouring out during The Who's set. Most of them looked like they's rather be at a Robbie Williams concert, and only there for the kudos of going to see The Who, rather than actually seeing The Who. Townsend commented on the fact that most of the people at the front didn't seem to know any of the songs, and though he said later he was only joking, I'm sure he meant it, and whether he meant it or not, he was absolutely spot on, as the procession of chinless wonders proved.

Glad you enjoyed them
thumbs_up.gif
I saw them four times back in the day, when Moony was still with us. The first time I saw them was at The Bristol Hippodrome, in '69. It was my first gig and was totally unprepared for what I was about to witness. Tommy hadn't long been released, and wasn't aware of their live act. I guess I was expecting the band to come on and just quietly play the tunes. It was explosive (musically) to say the least, and I was deaf the next day. That was a great night, one that will always stay with me *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think they would've been a much different animal back in the 60s/70s, and I'm sure I would've enjoyed that period even more, but I'm glad I've seen them, one of Britain's all-time greatest bands.

It's a shame about the other cr@p, but it was still a good day, and I can't hold The Who responsible for the financial apartheid that existed at Hyde Park. I won't be giving the organisers any more of my money though.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I won't be giving the organisers any more of my money though.

As an aside, I was due to go see ACDC this coming Saturday, at Wembley. I bought the ticket for twice the face value. I got a message last week to say that the ticket wasn't now available. I'm not happy! I was REALLY looking forward to seeing them.

jjbomber

Rival Sons at Sin City, Swansea last Monday night. Yet another sold out Rival Sons. They have sold out every gig they've ever played in the UK yet can't sell out in their home country. Does America know what it's missing?

Anyway, after Glastonbury on Sunday for the band, it was nice to play to a brilliant crowd with sing-a-longs galore. the band was on fire but the PA was a bit ropey. Loads of feedback could be heard between songs and eventually Beste's bass amp blew up.

Still one of the best gigs I have been to. Catch this band before they start filling arenas.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Fleetwood Mac on Tuesday. I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but surely everybody's got a few songs they like.
I'd read a review a few years ago that Stevie Nicks voice was a bit dodgy. No way she was brilliant, so to Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie. Can't believe their ages, still loads of life left in them and Lindsey B stated this was the start of something new for the band ?????
I never realised what a demon on the guitar he was.

A very good show.

jjbomber

Leicester rock band Skam started their tour in Swansea last night. A small crowd witnessed an alive set by the band who are surely destined for bigger things.

Personally everything went wrong. I took my Edirol to record the set and left the SD card at home, so no bootleg. Then Skam preformed the supporting act role, as the usual support band, The Texas Flood, were playing home soil. Not very good for me, as I wanted to watch Skam. Finally I wanted to buy their debut CD but they only had the new, second one (Peacemaker) for sale. Never mind, they relieved me of my £10 and duly signed the CD case. Remember, no band ever signed a download!!!

Going to Bristol next week to see them headline.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A brilliant night at Bury Met last night watching Moreland and Arbuckle. Dirty, raw southern rock.

OGWT meets Black Keys meets ZZ Top meets Bo Diddeley.

If they're ever down your way get along there, you wont be disappointed.

jjbomber

Off to Bristol Tunnels to see Skam. Great venue; it's like 2 adjoining viaducts under the train station. Bar in one side, bands playing in the other tunnel. Wonderful.

Remembered the SD card but forgot the microphone, so managed to make a bootleg with the internal mics. They still haven't got the first CD available, so the band relieved me of my £10 and said they'd post me a copy. I reminded them that until they do, Spotify will be paying them 0.002p everytime I play it. They promised not to spend it all at once. I trust them to post me a copy anyway.

Set was rather short for a headlining act. in fact, it was 45 minutes, the same as Swansea the week before. They opened with 4 songs off the new album. Brave or stupid? Not sure. Highlight was No Lies, but Massacre and Soldiers Of Rock went down well.

Catch this band up close and personal while you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts