Your best ever hi-fi purchase?

matthewpiano

I'm sure that, for all of us, there has been a product that has turned out to be a particularly good purchase. Interesting to see which single product everyone chooses!

Mine would have to be the Monitor Audio BX2s. For me they have completely re-defined what you can expect from affordable speakers and really sound special on the end of the Marantz 6003 electronics. The first speakers I've had that work brilliantly across the many musical genres I enjoy as well.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Think mine was my Micromega Logic CD player, served me faultlessly for 5 years as the basis of probably a dozen systems. My first "real" piece of Hi-Fi. :)

A

Anonymous

Funnily enough, a recommendation from your good self - my Focal 706v's continue to astound me, whether its Classic FM or Radio 2 from my Denon fm tuner, or Supertramp on vinyl. Thanks :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Not bought a lot, but enough! lol

Has to be my CDP. Brilliantly detailed, holds everything together beautifully, and just a bargain IMO. A good second are my K headphones; need a decent amp (better than mine, probably) but with the right recording I love 'em!

Paul.

I bought a Michell Focus One tt with A&R p77 cart with a Linn Basik arm for £50 off of a chap emigrating to Australia. It had a custom glass platter akin to some of the more expensive decks, looked awesome. Will try and dig out some pictures.

I kept the deck for about three years, eventually upgraded to a Project RPM9. Sold the Michell for £250 after fees! Got another year out of the cart as well before I upgraded, bargain of the century I think.

matthewpiano said:
I'm sure that, for all of us, there has been a product that has turned out to be a particularly good purchase. Interesting to see which single product everyone chooses!

Mine would have to be the Monitor Audio BX2s. For me they have completely re-defined what you can expect from affordable speakers and really sound special on the end of the Marantz 6003 electronics. The first speakers I've had that work brilliantly across the many musical genres I enjoy as well.

Hi matthewpiano

Monitor Audio's BX2's are indeed excellent speakers :)

My best ever Hi-Fi/AV purchase is the truly great Pioneer A-400 amplifier :grin: and closely followed by the Pioneer Reference F-91 and F-93 tuners :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Readynas ultra 2

Supplies all my music to squeezeboxes, phone, mp3 player and PS3's and can be accessed remotely. Comes preloaded with Squeezeserver and gets regular updates at the same time as other O/Ss

Double up the disks and you have a 1st level backup in case of disk failure (RAID).

Marvelous. Not used a CD player in yonks and all my music is available on a nice phone app.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
AudioVector Mi3 Super.

Other kit comes and goes, these are keepers and at well under half price were a bargain.

Shame about the limited availability in the UK. :dance:

A

Anonymous

My 1975 yamaha ca-1000 bought for £200. Massive improvement over brand new pm6003 and brought my speakers alive. Great phono stage and works really well with the lp12 which has been added more recently. Very much at the centre of my system and has just been fantastic value for money. Lovely clean class A sound

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Does Spotify count as a hifi purchase? because that's what has relighted my intrest in music a couple of years ago.

If I had to choose a piece of hardware it would by my Westone UM3x earphones. With these little babies I have for the first time heard music the way it sounded in the recording studio. The level of detail available is amazing.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh, there’s so much in my system that I consider to have been an absolute bargain. The CDP (now used as a transport), which is still very much alive and kicking after 23 years (thank you Sony!). However, the ‘best value’ award has to go to the wonderful, cheap, but so stunning Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2i.

A

Anonymous

Peachtree Decco2 and Sonos bundle from those great guys at Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh - sorry for plug but they are friendly, and really do offer a great service.

Hows about we add our worst purchase?

For me the Olive 4HD, nice idea but too many flaws in the way it works.

Thank goodness for ebay as it allows us to discretely and anoymously offload our embarrasing mistakes

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Q Acoustics TV2X - great sound, discrete, no fuss!

Very happy I got it, and even better that my wife let me use some wedding gift vouchers to purchase it. This product will keep me happy, sound wise, for many years.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
My Linn Sondek turntable bought in the 70s for around £130 which I am still using, albeit somewhat modified.

CD8SE2/Psxr ] - Prevs2/Psxr - 2*XPower - Spendor S5e
LP12 - Rega Fono ]
Cyrus interconnects and Nordost Super Flat Bi-wire speaker cable

A

Anonymous

My knee-jerk reaction was my Dynaudio 2/6 speakers which were an absolute bargain at £429, they are not leaving my house till they have blown up.

If I am taking sound quality, styling, price and comport , it has to be the giant killing, stupendous :clap:

SUPERLUX HD-668 B semi-open Headphones.

How on earth they make a pair of headphones this good for £24 is totally beyond me. :O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts