Your best car ever?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Handsome car, the 156.
Yes, a pretty model, whether saloon or Sportwagon. I love the interior. It's typical Italian with the deep fluted binnacals. The fuel gauge doesn't read "fuel" or "Petrol", it has Benzina. The water temperature gauge has "Acqua".

Attachments

• 20211017_160119.jpg
    20211017_160119.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211017_160044.jpg
    20211017_160044.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211005_062216.jpg
    20211005_062216.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211005_061210.jpg
    20211005_061210.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 10
I've had some work done on my blue Alfa: the engine has been rebuilt from bottom to top earlier this year after Covid killed the engine; new clutch assembly, cam belt, variator and water pump. While being rebuilt I had a bespoke radiator made - it has larger fins so water flows better. And I use distilled water with antifreeze, rather than plain tap water - It has less impurities and should preserve the cylinder head.

As it's totally rust free I've under sealed all non moving parts underneath.

It isn't concourse as it's an everyday car. But it's very clean and solid.

Mechanically, with those upgrades it's probably better than when it left the factory.

Mechanically, with those upgrades it's probably better than when it left the factory.
Mine is too. Parts of the suspension eventually fail, and the cost of replacing is sufficiently eye-watering that I can't bring myself to type it - mercifully there are alternatives that are cheaper (and in most respects, better). The car's standard engine map doesn't give you full throttle in gears 1-3 until you hit 5,500 rpm - the remap gives more power and torque and removes that limitation. There are also some jointed parts made from different metals, and which are therefore highly likely to corrode (and possibly then fail) - the oil cooler is one such part and very difficult to see, but if it goes pop you are in big trouble. Had mine replaced last year, and hoping for no big bills this time...

Optimized-DSC_1203.JPG

Last edited:
Mine is too. Parts of the suspension eventually fail, and the cost of replacing is sufficiently eye-watering that I can't bring myself to type it - mercifully there are alternatives that are cheaper (and in most respects, better). The car's standard engine map doesn't give you full throttle in gears 1-3 until you hit 5,500 rpm - the remap gives more power and torque and removes that limitation. There are also some jointed parts made from different metals, and which are therefore highly likely to corrode (and possibly then fail) - the oil cooler is one such part and very difficult to see, but if it goes pop you are in big trouble. Had mine replaced last year, and hoping for no big bills this time...

View attachment 3684
Oooo...very nice. Used to own a Audi 80 Sport 16 valve. Fantastic motorway cars.

Sorry for the picture quality. It has been a bit creased over the years.

Attachments

• 20220224_030729.jpg
    20220224_030729.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 5
I wish I had photos of all my old cars - not that there have been many of them.

Ditto concert tickets - I've always encouraged the kids to keep theirs.
Many of my old pics of cars have either been lost with several house moves or beyond posting on forums.

That Audi I purchased in the mid 90s. Have a few others but not many from my car pit.

One of me from 1981, with my Dolly 1850 and a lovely sprint

Attachments

• 20210617_095312.jpg
    20210617_095312.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210617_095118.jpg
    20210617_095118.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 9

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I got a Tesla Model 3 Long Range last month on company lease (NHS salary sacrifice)....it's easily the best car I've ever owned! Every time I drive it, it puts a huge grin on my face. :)

I'm due to leave my job early next year and will have to return it.....but will be buying a Tesla again.

Which is the best car you've ever driven?
Some may grimace but I enjoyed ownership of 10 years with a Fiat Multipla. OK it was, to some ugly but it was a head turner on the motorway and a conversation piece at motorway resting places. Even my neighbours questioned my sanity. It was a Tardis which comfortably transported 6 passengers and luggage regularly across France. Many happy memories I can look back upon. Still mourn it's passing.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I test drove the BMW 5 series yesterday (530d xDrive) and also Mercedes E450. BMW was very good, and better than Mercedes. I know what you mean about electric cars being here to stay. My current situation means it will be difficult to live with an electric car. It's only a stop gap arrangement until I decide where I want to work in the long term (around 1 year) after which I can change to electric car again on NHS lease.
Just realised I never posted the pics! Went for BMW 530D xDrive which was delivered in January 2021 and absolutely loving it!
FB_IMG_1657358444494.jpgFB_IMG_1657358448461.jpg

WayneKerr

Some may grimace but I enjoyed ownership of 10 years with a Fiat Multipla. OK it was, to some ugly but it was a head turner on the motorway and a conversation piece at motorway resting places. Even my neighbours questioned my sanity. It was a Tardis which comfortably transported 6 passengers and luggage regularly across France. Many happy memories I can look back upon. Still mourn it's passing.
Nothing wrong with the Multipla, I like whacky looking cars... would dearly love a Nissan Cube :)

Nothing wrong with the Multipla, I like whacky looking cars... would dearly love a Nissan Cube :)
Agreed. It is whacky....most Italian cars have a certain eccentricity.

That's where German cars, in the main, tend to be prim and proper. I like a lot of German brands, and owned a few, incl company cars. They are very well screwed together - I've always been a fan of German engineering - but, Beemas in particular, just dont excite me. Yet can't put my finger on why.

DCarmi

Years ago we had a Toyota Townace import. 8 seats. Middle row could be rotated to face backwards or sideways if you wanted an in car picnic. Driver and passenger had comfy captain seats with arms. It was great when the kids were young because we could stagger them over 3 rows to cut down on fighting!

Also being a tall car, great visibility and it had a sun roof and a moon roof and the first car we had with air con.

Nice to drive, until you came to a hill where it was completely gutless despite being a 2L turbo! Still it was great when we had a young family.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts