Your advice on a CD player to go with Rotel amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to get a dedicated CD player to go with my Rotel amp. Has anyone paired the RCD1072/1070 or 991 and what does it sound like. Alternatively would you look at other like Cyrus CD6s or Arcam or Rega? ThanksSystem: Rotel RSP 1066 processor and rotel power amps, Cambridge Audio DVD, Celestion F Series speakers, Van den hul hybrid between amp and processor, van den hul cleartrack speaker cable, IXOS XHD608 interconnect on DVD. Music: U2, Sting, light rock also Clasical

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'd definitely go for the CD6s, which will be a good match for your system. However, the really weak link in your set-up is the speakers - I'd seriously consider changing the Celestion Fs for something better.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy.

A friend of mine thought that the CD6s might be too bright? I know that it is a great player and that matching is important.

ITO speakers, I was thinking of somthing the the B&W 803's (Currenly 4 star) or maybe monitor audio RS6 or RS8. What would your thoughts be on that?

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If you want plenty of detail, dynamics and punch to the sound, the MA RS6s would work well with the CD6s. I don't think that will be too bright, provided you give the MAs plenty of running in.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Then again, the RCD1072 is a fine, if slightly older, player, and I have a feeling its marginally polite sound would make it a good match with the amplification you have, which can be rather full-on.

And are you running a complete F Series surround set-up? If so, you'll need to budget for a complete speaker overhaul if you step up to the 803s or RS6/RS8 floorstanders - my money would be on the RS8s, BTW - as they won't match too well with your existing centre and rears.

If, that is, you have a centre and rears - but then I can't imagine why you'd be using the 1066 and power amps if you weren't doing surround!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew.

I am running a full set of F Series i.e. Centre and Bookshelves at the rear.

I heard a pair of RS6's and 803's paired with a 200w rotel amp and RCD1072. The RS6's had a very smooth yet lively sound the electric guitar seemed to come alive in Stings Fragile. The only problem I had with them was that they seem to loose compose on the highend (eg when listening to "Time to say goodbye - Sarah Brightman"). The 803's seemed very powerful and had plenty of base but the mid range wasn't as warm as the RS6. I also thought the 803's might be better with home cinema, however my main concern would be stereo.

I was thinking of moving my front celestions to the rears and upgrading all 3 front speakers. I havent heard the RS8s, but perhaps they would have more of the power of the 803s but retain the mid range charm of the RS6s.

ITO the cd player, I have also read many good reviews on the older Rotel RCD991. Some say that this was Rotels best ever. Have you heard this player and how would it compare to somthing like a CD6s?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the F floorstanders on the rear with B&W 803s and matching centre would work for me.

RCD-991 was a very good player indeed, and I happen to like the more recent upper-end Rotels a lot too. Haven't ever done a direct comparison between them and the CD6s, but let's just say that IMHO the Cyrus is a little bright.

emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts